• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We Stand for Democracy

That's an interesting reality... The VRA didn't hamper squat... Texas was forced last year by a federal court to allow registration online when renewing a license... Paxton fought this all the way....

No, but that post pretty much knocked the mock protestations about Jim Crow into a cocked hat!

Then you should have no trouble documenting that claim!

You tried to dance past the way Abbot tried to restrict voting in Harris County in the last election.

Oh yes, Ken Paxton fought a giant war against voter fraud in Texas in 2020, all sixteen cases.

Vote fraud is not necessarily enabled by inaccurate or fake registration forms. Since they all have to be checked and verified prior to the voter being actually registered. There is no effective way to influence an election with fake voter registrations since there is no way to guarantee if or how many will get caught. So, even if that were going on, and there is no evidence that it is, it’s a strategy with very dubious odds of producing results.

And voter ID makes no difference. If a fake registration form listing Mickey Mouse at a certain address gets registered, and you show up at the polls with an ID that says Mickey Mouse, you get to vote.

Try again.

You can leave out your catalog of name calling and buzzwords this time.
You should be able to google if you are concerned. It absolutely has happened.

The problem with the voter registrations are that there are limits to what can be verified. If one doesn't get flagged as a duplicate, felon, non-citizen (legal resident) it gets passed. The voter registration card gets issued, and you can verify online that it's good to go. And part of the allegation several years back was that groups facilitating voter registration dumped thousands in the last week, making verification, and the ability to identify potentially fraudulent ones, difficult. And as I pointed out, ID is NOT checked in the registration process. So voter ID at the time of voting is the help with this risk.

Not sure how I 'danced past Abbot' - he wasn't mentioned. But no, he didn't try to restrict voting. He did try to reign in some bad processes attempted in Harris county.

I didn't call you any names. I pointed out your deflection.

That's an interesting reality... The VRA didn't hamper squat... Texas was forced last year by a federal court to allow registration online when renewing a license... Paxton fought this all the way....

It is reality. I would encourage you to look up the history of the law.

It is reality. I would encourage you to look up the history of the law.

LOL... What makes you think I am unaware of the history of voter suppression in Texas?

No, this is aimed at the low information voters, who believe this garbage.
Like those who believed in the stolen election false narrative? They're called the Trump Cult.

You should be able to google if you are concerned. It absolutely has happened.

The problem with the voter registrations are that there are limits to what can be verified. If one doesn't get flagged as a duplicate, felon, non-citizen (legal resident) it gets passed. The voter registration card gets issued, and you can verify online that it's good to go. And part of the allegation several years back was that groups facilitating voter registration dumped thousands in the last week, making verification, and the ability to identify potentially fraudulent ones, difficult. And as I pointed out, ID is NOT checked in the registration process. So voter ID at the time of voting is the help with this risk.

Not sure how I 'danced past Abbot' - he wasn't mentioned. But no, he didn't try to restrict voting. He did try to reign in some bad processes attempted in Harris county.

I didn't call you any names. I pointed out your deflection.

Abbot was specifically mentioned.

And I did Google it. It didn’t happen. It was a claim made by an obscure right wing activist in an even more obscure blog.

And, yes, closing every mail in drop off but one in a county of four million is an attempt to limit voting.

And Abbot only made that move after it became apparant that Trump wasn’t going to win unless last minute steps were taken to restrict mail in and drop off ballots.

The ploy was so obvious that the denials rang(ring) very hollow.

No, voter ID is not checked or recorded at registration.

So any ID presented on election day can’t actually be checked against much of anything.

Right wingers have been playing this Voter ID meme for almost twenty years.

Yet, the GOP has never once proposed a universal standard national voter ID law. Not once.

And it never will.

What you are ignoring is the fact that they pay the left wing, as well.

You are worried about "The man in your AM radio" while you ignore the crowd on your TV, all over the Internet and at all the big newspapers.

They may pay the left, but they’ve always owned the right, or at least the Republican Party, anyway.

That is the one thing that is consistant throughout the history of the Republican Party.

LOL... What makes you think I am unaware of the history of voter suppression in Texas?
Frankly, from your posts you appear to be unclear. We're not talking about voter suppression, but the impact of the VRA and how it made any changes, whether you want to classify them as good or bad, more difficult.

Abbot was specifically mentioned.

And I did Google it. It didn’t happen. It was a claim made by an obscure right wing activist in an even more obscure blog.

And, yes, closing every mail in drop off but one in a county of four million is an attempt to limit voting.

And Abbot only made that move after it became apparant that Trump wasn’t going to win unless last minute steps were taken to restrict mail in and drop off ballots.

The ploy was so obvious that the denials rang(ring) very hollow.

No, voter ID is not checked or recorded at registration.

So any ID presented on election day can’t actually be checked against much of anything.

Right wingers have been playing this Voter ID meme for almost twenty years.

Yet, the GOP has never once proposed a universal standard national voter ID law. Not once.

And it never will.
The history of the voter registration issue is quite real, and it blew up about a decade ago. Real news. Voter ID has helped with the issues.

You seem to be all over the place, so I'll skip past the middle. Yes, ensuring a voter is who they claim to be, and that that person is an eligible voter, is an important part of the voting process.

The GOP won't propose a "universal standard national voter ID law" because the voting process is conducted by the states.

The history of the voter registration issue is quite real, and it blew up about a decade ago. Real news. Voter ID has helped with the issues.

You seem to be all over the place, so I'll skip past the middle. Yes, ensuring a voter is who they claim to be, and that that person is an eligible voter, is an important part of the voting process.

The GOP won't propose a "universal standard national voter ID law" because the voting process is conducted by the states.

Is this another part of the constitution that the GOP has not read?

They may pay the left, but they’ve always owned the right, or at least the Republican Party, anyway.

That is the one thing that is consistant throughout the history of the Republican Party.
LOL!!

They own the left, too.

No, this is aimed at the low information voters, who believe this garbage.
I thought the low info voters were the ones Trump said he loved, the ones who believe the 2020 election was stolen. Get real. Are all of a sudden new voting laws needed in the 43 states where the GOP has introduced them?

I think you are wrong. I think Independents and, even, Democrats who agree with the Republican rank and file make up that 20%.
I think that’s probably the case if the most extreme side of the party (QAnon, and stuff like it) can be tempered.

I think that’s probably the case if the most extreme side of the party (QAnon, and stuff like it) can be tempered.
QAnon is irrelevant...too small to make a difference. They are nothing more than the bogeyman raised by the Trump hating media.

So. How many of these guys who have sweatshops factories in China have signed a letter protesting China seeking to tweak the election process of Hong Kong?

Cool. I think pretty much all of us "Stand for Democracy."
Well, sounds good, as long as your definition of "democracy" doesn't include "only when we win" and "only when we control who votes."

Sounds like you may be making the mistake of underestimating the sheer ignorance of the American electorate.
I wouldn't do that if I were you.
Yes. To wit:

New Monmouth University poll: proportion who say they'll never get Covid vaccine if they can avoid it:

5% of Democrats
22% of independents
43% of Republicans

You made a claim, which you did not back up (which is normal). Then you simply repeated your claim after I noted that no evidence exists other than your claim and and an assertion by some right wing blogger, which is the only thing I could find (since you won’t back up your claims).

Skiping the middle is what you do when you can’t refute the obvious.

As for the GOP not proposing a universal voter ID, that could easily be incorporated into the Voting Rights Act for all Federal elections.

Of course, the GOP has been trying to reverse or ignore the Voting Rights Act since 1966,

View attachment 67328695

Your “pretty much” is doing a lot of heavy lifting if you’re including Republicans in that comment.

Until a recount and examination of the votes in the disputed precincts is done, we wont know who was fighting in defense of democracy and who was fighting to tear it down.

Of course, the GOP has been trying to reverse or ignore the Voting Rights Act since 1966,

Nah, we ignore the baseless claims that requiring an ID is a violation of the voting rights act.

Like those who believed in the stolen election false narrative? They're called the Trump Cult.
Like those that think the election was secure, and are supporting making our elections even more of a joke? You know who you are.

Like those that think the election was secure, and are supporting making our elections even more of a joke? You know who you are.
Yeah, those who think the elections were secure and without massive corruption necessary to overturn the election and wish to extend proven, secure systems of voting like Colorado's Mail-In system are called Rational and Intelligent People.

I thought the low info voters were the ones Trump said he loved, the ones who believe the 2020 election was stolen. Get real. Are all of a sudden new voting laws needed in the 43 states where the GOP has introduced them?
We just need to go back to the pre China Virus laws, and enforce them.

Yeah, those who think the elections were secure and without massive corruption necessary to overturn the election and wish to extend proven, secure systems of voting like Colorado's Mail-In system are called Rational and Intelligent People.
I call them gullible, among other things.

I call them gullible, among other things.
Yeah...damn those people who rely on reason and intelligence and don't buy into made up false narratives with no evidence behind them that purport a demagogue as the winner in an election he clearly lost. Damn them all to hell!

lol

Back
Top Bottom