• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We should sanction China

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
They treat the US as an enemy. They propagandize their people to thing China is superior to the US, their enemy, and to want to destroy the US.

They are essentially the world's biggest organized crime family running the country, a totalitarian state over more than a billion people completely controlling their information, communication and behavior.

They are at war with democracy.

But in particular in terms of sanctions, they have tried to undermine every sanction the world has put on Russia. Swift removed? They offered their system instead. Exports blocked? They offered to increase their purchases. And so on. Just once they apparently drew a line, not selling them parts for military aircraft as the world turned against Russia. China is financing a lot of the war.

They are treating Russia as their 'partner in crime' to form an alliance against democracies. Domestically, they totally support Putin's war on Ukraine, while hiding that from the world as they try to use the crisis to increase their status.

Putin was essentially in an undeclared war against the west for many years. China is far more so - with an economy ten times the size. As long as they are supporting Russia's war, at least, they should join Russia in being sanctioned.

I'm sure if you write the White House, they'll give your letter due consideration before shredding it.

FWIW, we should - but given Biden's incestuous relationship with the CCP it's not likely to happen in any substantial form that would move them to much other than a mild chuckle.

Didn't we already try getting under Xi's skin?

You can't mess with Hunter Biden's art business at this time.

There's no work available as an energy expert in Ukraine right now.

Let’s see how fast we can completely flush the US economy down the drain?

Is that the goal?

😂😂

Reactions: PoS
We should actually find a way to normalize relations with both China and Russia (in an ideal world). Neither has to be a democracy; we just need to insist that they respect territorial sovereignty. My problem with Russia isn't that they've become an autocracy (although in an ideal world they wouldn't be); it's that Putin doesn't respect sovereignty, which is really something that Western & even Eurasian countries have at least acknowledged in one way or another since the Treaty of Westphalia (1648?).

But the decoupling of China and Russia, and the West, in my mind is extremely dangerous. It's laying the groundwork for World War Three. It's potentially creating two axes of mega-power, and with climate change and its resource scarcity, this is some seriously scary shit. I know China and Russia will probably (not in my lifetime) be democratic allies of the West, but we don't have to be bitter enemies.

There's too much shit going on already. Let's make it through if we can.

Embargo on the axis of evil, Russia, China and North Korea.

They treat the US as an enemy. They propagandize their people to thing China is superior to the US, their enemy, and to want to destroy the US.

They are essentially the world's biggest organized crime family running the country, a totalitarian state over more than a billion people completely controlling their information, communication and behavior.

They are at war with democracy.

But in particular in terms of sanctions, they have tried to undermine every sanction the world has put on Russia. Swift removed? They offered their system instead. Exports blocked? They offered to increase their purchases. And so on. Just once they apparently drew a line, not selling them parts for military aircraft as the world turned against Russia. China is financing a lot of the war.

They are treating Russia as their 'partner in crime' to form an alliance against democracies. Domestically, they totally support Putin's war on Ukraine, while hiding that from the world as they try to use the crisis to increase their status.

Putin was essentially in an undeclared war against the west for many years. China is far more so - with an economy ten times the size. As long as they are supporting Russia's war, at least, they should join Russia in being sanctioned.
Let's not forget Covid they released upon the world.

We should actually find a way to normalize relations with both China and Russia (in an ideal world).

You're not understanding the difference between their being non-democracies we can co-exist with, and what they actually are, in a cold war (and now hot) against democracy. They are set on trying to defeat democracy and democracies. They are the world's biggest organized crime organizations governing, literally.

You're not understanding the difference between their being non-democracies we can co-exist with, and what they actually are, in a cold war (and now hot) against democracy.

Nah, I understand it pretty well. Been to Beijing, Xi An, Hebei Province, Guangdong, and Hong Kong. Speak the language fairly well. Married a Chinese national. You?

They are set on trying to defeat democracy and democracies.

Without question, they view democracy as a threat, particularly if it is pushed onto its borders.

The US can't beat China by itself. We need alliances, but these alliances should be conciliatory.

Nah, I understand it pretty well. Been to Beijing, Xi An, Hebei Province, Guangdong, and Hong Kong. Speak the language fairly well. Married a Chinese national. You?

I'll give you full credit for having a lot of info about it. But your comment did not fit what I mentioned it didn't. I've never been but have been learning a lot from dozens of hours from a couple guys who each lived there over a decade, are both married to Chinese nationals, and who are dedicated to educating people about China and its goverment.

Without question, they view democracy as a threat, particularly if it is pushed onto its borders.

Yes, they view democracy like the mafia views law enforcement. Their arch-enemy. We got a taste of how they view it and would like to eliminate it in Hong Kong. That government essentially is, not to be flippant, the Borg. Assimilate it or kill it. I'm not sure when you have spent time there, but these two guys report it changed drastically for the worse with the current leader.

Xiden will never sanction his slush fund

Yes, they view democracy like the mafia views law enforcement. Their arch-enemy. We got a taste of how they view it and would like to eliminate it in Hong Kong. That government essentially is, not to be flippant, the Borg. Assimilate it or kill it. I'm not sure when you have spent time there, but these two guys report it changed drastically for the worse with the current leader.

It's late and I'm sleepy, but yeah, huge difference between Hu Jintao/Jiang Zemin and Xi Jinping.

I think Xi has designs of being the next Mao, but China (at least in my view) was on a much better trajectory under Hu and Jiang. I lived in East Asia at the time they were the premiers, and at that time, much of the Eastern Hemisphere actually regarded China as a stable counterweight to the United States, which was invading Iraq and so forth.

Now? Trust me: there's not a single Asian country that sleeps with both eyes closed now. They know the history. China has dominated the Asian continent several times, and Asian countries (hell, even Russia) knows this.

It's late and I'm sleepy, but yeah, huge difference between Hu Jintao/Jiang Zemin and Xi Jinping.

I think Xi has designs of being the next Mao, but China (at least in my view) was on a much better trajectory under Hu and Jiang. I lived in East Asia at the time they were the premiers, and at that time, much of the Eastern Hemisphere actually regarded China as a stable counterweight to the United States, which was invading Iraq and so forth.

Now? Trust me: there's not a single Asian country that sleeps with both eyes closed now. They know the history. China has dominated the Asian continent several times.
That fits right in with what these two guys say. They say China was a very welcoming, developing place before, they never planned to leave, but were forced to by the radical move back to Mao-like political culture and practices (minus the famine). They've done some videos on their thoughts about westerners marrying Chinese women, I wonder if you'd enjoy that.

We should actually find a way to normalize relations with both China and Russia (in an ideal world). Neither has to be a democracy; we just need to insist that they respect territorial sovereignty. My problem with Russia isn't that they've become an autocracy (although in an ideal world they wouldn't be); it's that Putin doesn't respect sovereignty, which is really something that Western & even Eurasian countries have at least acknowledged in one way or another since the Treaty of Westphalia (1648?).

But the decoupling of China and Russia, and the West, in my mind is extremely dangerous. It's laying the groundwork for World War Three. It's potentially creating two axes of mega-power, and with climate change and its resource scarcity, this is some seriously scary shit. I know China and Russia will probably (not in my lifetime) be democratic allies of the West, but we don't have to be bitter enemies.
I like this thinking. China owns tons of USA products courtesy of corporate America which is why I do not believe China will change much.

A major Nuke conflict will leave very little life, food and water for anyone so Putin should put a sock in his mouth and work with others.

I like this thinking. China owns tons of USA products courtesy of corporate America which is why I do not believe China will change much.

A major Nuke conflict will leave very little life, food and water for anyone so Putin should put a sock in his mouth and work with others.

You're not understanding the difference between their being non-democracies we can co-exist with, and what they actually are, in a cold war (and now hot) against democracy. They are set on trying to defeat democracy and democracies. They are the world's biggest organized crime organizations governing, literally.
So what's your point? Escalate tensions until we all get nuked?

So...

You think we should poke the Bear and the Dragon?

How do you know they want to "defeat democracy?" Isn't it possible the leaders just don't want to give up what they are comfortable with?

That fits right in with what these two guys say. They say China was a very welcoming, developing place before, they never planned to leave, but were forced to by the radical move back to Mao-like political culture and practices (minus the famine).

Without going into too much detail, China's government has asserted itself in ways I couldn't have imagined even 5-8 years ago. To be sure, China's always had the Great Firewall and all that -- that's nothing new. They've had a security state with neighbors ratting out 'unpatriotic' neighbors...that's existed for years. But it wasn't always quite so serious. Used to be - at least when I had ties there - that the rule/unwritten rule was....you could talk shit and complain about the CCP, just don't go public with it. Now? If you post 'seditionist' material on WeChat or online, you might have several men in green outfits standing outside your door in the morning. Wasn't always like this.

They've done some videos on their thoughts about westerners marrying Chinese women, I wonder if you'd enjoy that.

I just might. :)

Without going into too much detail, China's government has asserted itself in ways I couldn't have imagined even 5-8 years ago. To be sure, China's always had the Great Firewall and all that -- that's nothing new. They've had a security state with neighbors ratting out 'unpatriotic' neighbors...that's existed for years. But it wasn't always quite so serious. Used to be - at least when I had ties there - that the rule/unwritten rule was....you could talk shit and complain about the CCP, just don't go public with it. Now? If you post 'seditionist' material on WeChat or online, you might have several men in green outfits standing outside your door in the morning. Wasn't always like this.

I just might. :)
they've done their research on the collapse of the USSR and are adamant on avoiding it

Back
Top Bottom