• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

We should cure homelessness

George_Washington said:
I think we should make every effort in America to help people who are homeless find jobs. What do you guys think?

A few years ago, when I owned my own business, I experimented with the hiring of homeless people. They all quit within a few days, most of them stole from me and a couple of them stole from my other employees as well.

While yours is a noble idea, the hard truth is that a large portion of the homeless population are substance abusers, mentally ill, sociopaths, or suffer from a combination of these. Hardly employable material.

The only way to get these people off the streets is to institutionalize them....which doesn't sit very well with the ACLU.

UtahBill said:
What a load....
If they can afford drugs and/or alcohol, they can afford a bus ticket. But if they are doing drugs, they are wasting their time to go. Druggies don't deserve jobs until they kick the habit. Do you want a user on the job with you? And it is not stereotyping a person by calling them stupid if they do drugs. You have to be stupid to do drugs.
Drug addicts were told some substance would ease their pain? Are they so stupid that they believe that? Who believes what pushers say? Anybody? Everybody knows it is stupid, and bad, and not the answer to any problem. It doesn't take more than a 3rd grade education to know that it is bad.
Keep making excuses for them if you want, but that isn't going to cure anything. The cure for homeless druggies lies within themselves. They have to want to quit first, and then they have to face HARD reality and stay clean.
We owe them nothing more than a little help, but they don't even get that unless they prove that they can stay off the dope.

Some of them don't even know that some things are drugs until they try them. and as I said before it seems to take away their pains at first. To them it would seem better to end many pains at first if they stayed in the area, than move away to somewhere where they'll have to work a lot to get anywhere, as most even if they are offered jobs are really low-paying.

George_Washington said:
I think we should make every effort in America to help people who are homeless find jobs. What do you guys think?

Thats a wonderful idea, so long as it is accomplished thru private charity.

The government does not exist to provide you with a place to live.

MiamiFlorida said:
A few years ago, when I owned my own business, I experimented with the hiring of homeless people. They all quit within a few days, most of them stole from me and a couple of them stole from my other employees as well.

While yours is a noble idea, the hard truth is that a large portion of the homeless population are substance abusers, mentally ill, sociopaths, or suffer from a combination of these. Hardly employable material.

The only way to get these people off the streets is to institutionalize them....which doesn't sit very well with the ACLU.

Unless it's screwing the restof the country they are not very concerned about it. Better hope these homeless guys don't sue or you might be forced to hire them so they can steal from you....LOL

Comrade Brian said:
Some of them don't even know that some things are drugs until they try them. and as I said before it seems to take away their pains at first. To them it would seem better to end many pains at first if they stayed in the area, than move away to somewhere where they'll have to work a lot to get anywhere, as most even if they are offered jobs are really low-paying.

Complete nonsense....
Hey buddy, I know you are homeless and broke, so here, take this pill, shoot this into your arm, smoke this harmless weed, and you will better. Right? Is that how it goes. There isn't 1 homeless person in a hundred thousand that stupid.
However that got into it doesn't matter. If you are on dope to the extent that you are homeless, have no address other than the last address at the county jail, you are unemployable. And NO, you don't deserve to be given a job that otherwise should go to someone who is smart enough to stay away from dope.
How long have you been on your mind altering substance of choice?:(

Back
Top Bottom