• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We say we love kids and families. Our policies prove the opposite.

j brown's body

"A Soros-backed animal"
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
"Our society claims to love children, admire parents and revere the family. But our public policies send the opposite message. A June 2021 UNICEF report on where rich countries stand on child care found that the United States ranked 40th. Unlike every other well-off democracy, the United States has “never adapted to the needs of families in today’s labor market and economy,” said Olivia Golden, executive director of the Center for Law and Social Policy. “We’ve never responded to so many women with young children being in the workforce.”

...Economic interest is at stake as well, since future prosperity depends on a growing labor force. “Businesses need workers,” Murray told me, “but we’re seeing parents opt to stay home, moms especially often, because they can’t find or afford quality child care.” Despite recent job gains, women are still down a net 1.4 million jobs since February 2020, the National Women’s Law Center reported this month.

Our country needs a sensible family policy. That’s why child care, universal pre-K, family leave and an expanded child tax credit were central components of President Biden’s Build Back Better plan. But our debate last year about his proposal rarely got to the merits. It focused instead on the overall size of the plan, what package might get 60 votes in the Senate, and how the resulting legislative train wreck would affect Biden’s poll ratings and the November elections.

...There is still time before this Congress closes its books to do something significant for parents and kids, even if it’s not all that Biden wanted. Is it too much to ask politicians of various ideological orientations to align their glowing tributes to family life with the world in which families actually live — and struggle?"

Link

Is it too much to ask?

"Our society claims to love children, admire parents and revere the family. But our public policies send the opposite message. A June 2021 UNICEF report on where rich countries stand on child care found that the United States ranked 40th. Unlike every other well-off democracy, the United States has “never adapted to the needs of families in today’s labor market and economy,” said Olivia Golden, executive director of the Center for Law and Social Policy. “We’ve never responded to so many women with young children being in the workforce.”

...Economic interest is at stake as well, since future prosperity depends on a growing labor force. “Businesses need workers,” Murray told me, “but we’re seeing parents opt to stay home, moms especially often, because they can’t find or afford quality child care.” Despite recent job gains, women are still down a net 1.4 million jobs since February 2020, the National Women’s Law Center reported this month.

Our country needs a sensible family policy. That’s why child care, universal pre-K, family leave and an expanded child tax credit were central components of President Biden’s Build Back Better plan. But our debate last year about his proposal rarely got to the merits. It focused instead on the overall size of the plan, what package might get 60 votes in the Senate, and how the resulting legislative train wreck would affect Biden’s poll ratings and the November elections.

...There is still time before this Congress closes its books to do something significant for parents and kids, even if it’s not all that Biden wanted. Is it too much to ask politicians of various ideological orientations to align their glowing tributes to family life with the world in which families actually live — and struggle?"

Link

Is it too much to ask?

Todays USA is the shithole of developed nations IMO, a laughable parody of FrEeDuMbZ$™, and not even a shadow of its former self.
Its really bizarre to think that this happened over a period of a few short decades....from The Shining City on the Hill....to....'Murca!!! And it was that damned quick!

Dollar chasing is really a pretty crappy philosophy overall.

Unfortunately, the Democrats are not doing their job. They are the side that should be fighting for this, but they have lost their way and aren't really for the common person anymore. Too much fighting for increased immigration and their woke agenda, and not enough fighting for the actual citizens of this country. I used to be able to vote democrat, but they have gotten so lost lately I can't even recognize them anymore...

I can't read the article because it is behind a paywall.

“Businesses need workers,” Murray told me, “but we’re seeing parents opt to stay home, moms especially often, because they can’t find or afford quality child care.” Despite recent job gains, women are still down a net 1.4 million jobs since February 2020, the National Women’s Law Center reported this month.

I wonder how many of those women simply sat down at their kitchen table with their spouses and decided NOT to go back into the rat race and instead focus on their families? I know numerous. Covid changed their priorities - and their family adjusted their budgets and they became stay-at-home Moms. They have no intention of going back to work anytime soon.

I dropped out of "corporate America" before Covid. It had nothing to do with the cost of childcare, but rather the fact that working "9-5" meant that someone ELSE was raising my son, and neither my husband nor I wanted that. So, I walked away from a senior-level management role and well over 6 figure salary and became a stay-at-home Mom. I now do part-time consulting work as it fits into my schedule and when the work interests me. Three of my former college roommates have made the same decision over the years. Our priorities changed after we had children and the 9-5 rate race to the top of the corporate ladder was no longer of interest to us.

Did the opinion piece address the fact that perhaps some of those 1.4 million women have simply opted NOT to go back to work? Or is it assuming that 1.4 million women are out of work because they lack childcare?

Is it too much to ask?

Quoting:

Neoliberalism is contemporarily used to refer to market-oriented reform policies such as "eliminating price controls, deregulating capital markets, lowering trade barriers" and reducing, especially through privatization and austerity, state influence in the economy.
----

Nearly ALL Democrats and Republicans embrace neoliberal economics.

neoliberalism.png

Neoliberalism sees competition as the defining characteristic of human relations. It redefines citizens as consumers, whose democratic choices are best exercised by buying and selling, a process that rewards merit and punishes inefficiency. It maintains that “the market” delivers benefits that could never be achieved by planning.

Attempts to limit competition are treated as inimical to liberty. Tax and regulation should be minimised, public services should be privatised. The organisation of labour and collective bargaining by trade unions are portrayed as market distortions that impede the formation of a natural hierarchy of winners and losers. Inequality is recast as virtuous: a reward for utility and a generator of wealth, which trickles down to enrich everyone. Efforts to create a more equal society are both counterproductive and morally corrosive. The market ensures that everyone gets what they deserve.

Edited to add: Hey @Loulit01, you can take away your like if you don't like that nearly ALL Democrats and Republicans embrace neoliberalism. I wouldn't want to mislead people with a picture of two neoconservatives.

Last edited:
they have lost their way and aren't really for the common person anymore. Too much fighting for increased immigration and their woke agenda, and not enough fighting for the actual citizens of this country.

Lotta truth there IMO, agree.

I used to be able to vote democrat, but they have gotten so lost lately I can't even recognize them anymore...

Yeah...and the only worse choice than Democrat would be the GOP imo.

What is a sane and reasonable person to do?:unsure:

Republican politicians have one huge reason not to vote for social programs. The people who are beneficiaries of a fair and balanced
society will tilt the scales back to the Democrats, come voting time. The GOP knows this and essentially tries to walk a line between
not looking like a pack of total dicks or giving the populace what needs-to-be-done. It's all about being elected again and holding on to their power and influence..
(On Edit)...or money.

Did the opinion piece address the fact that perhaps some of those 1.4 million women have simply opted NOT to go back to work? Or is it assuming that 1.4 million women are out of work because they lack childcare?
Above is a great example of the problem with much political "thinking." Of course 1.4 million didn't leave their jobs because of a lack of child care nor did they "simply opt NOT to go back to work." A variety of forces are at work as I'm sure most of us understand. Nevertheless, this country's failure to address the childcare issue does indeed contribute to the number of women staying home. This was the point of the OP, sadly missed by the above post.

Republican politicians have one huge reason not to vote for social programs. The people who are beneficiaries of a fair and balanced
society will tilt the scales back to the Democrats, come voting time. The GOP knows this and essentially tries to walk a line between
not looking like a pack of total dicks or giving the populace what needs-to-be-done. It's all about being elected again and holding on to their power and influence..
(On Edit)...or money.
I agree except that they do indeed look like a bunch of total dicks.

Link

Is it too much to ask?
We all love the children! I especially love children that you choose to have that you can financially support.

Above is a great example of the problem with much political "thinking." Of course 1.4 million didn't leave their jobs because of a lack of child care nor did they "simply opt NOT to go back to work." A variety of forces are at work as I'm sure most of us understand. Nevertheless, this country's failure to address the childcare issue does indeed contribute to the number of women staying home. This was the point of the OP, sadly missed by the above post.
And your plan to address the "childcare issue" as you call it?

Our policies say that if you don't have a bunch of money, society thinks it would be most polite for you to go die under a bridge somewhere it won't have to see.

It's hard to do better when about half your country acts like they are opposed not only to the idea of government doing something for the general welfare, but are in fact against the having of governments at all (until their houses are on fire. Then they want governments. Go figure).

What is a sane and reasonable person to do?:unsure:

Me, I register as no party and try to vote so that neither party is in overwhelming control so they have to work together to get anything done. It isn't the answer, but it's the best answer I could come up with...

Our policies say that if you don't have a bunch of money, society thinks it would be most polite for you to go die under a bridge somewhere it won't have to see. not have children you cannot afford.

It's hard to do better when about half your country acts like they are opposed not only to the idea of government doing something for the general welfare, but are in fact against the having of governments at all (until their houses are on fire. Then they want governments. Go figure).
Providing for the general welfare is all well and great, as long as everyone benefits equally from that government support. We have safety nets that are supposed to be temporary assistance, Not to provide for kids you can't afford to have and expect someone else to pay for.
Go get a job, or two.
Get and value your education.
Stay away from Crime.
Don't have a family until you can afford to do so.

If we/them can follow those three simple steps, us (and all of them) can succeed here in the US.

Todays USA is the shithole of developed nations IMO, a laughable parody of FrEeDuMbZ$™, and not even a shadow of its former self.
Its really bizarre to think that this happened over a period of a few short decades....from The Shining City on the Hill....to....'Murca!!! And it was that damned quick!

Dollar chasing is really a pretty crappy philosophy overall.

America is at the bottom of developed nation metrics. Wealth gap, healthcare, etc. For the first time ever, we even dropped down a notch in democracy ratings.

America is at the bottom of developed nation metrics. Wealth gap, healthcare, etc. For the first time ever, we even dropped down a notch in democracy ratings.
The constitution guarantees freedom of the press. We rank 44th in the world.

I won't go into how low we rank in infant mortality rate. It's too depressing. Suffice to say our infant mortality rate is worse than Cuba's and Estonia's and many others.

The constitution guarantees freedom of the press. We rank 44th in the world.

I won't go into how low we rank in infant mortality rate. It's too depressing. Suffice to say our infant mortality rate is worse than Cuba's and Estonia's and many others.

It's a long, depressing list.

Unfortunately, the Democrats are not doing their job. They are the side that should be fighting for this, but they have lost their way and aren't really for the common person anymore. Too much fighting for increased immigration and their woke agenda, and not enough fighting for the actual citizens of this country. I used to be able to vote democrat, but they have gotten so lost lately I can't even recognize them anymore...

Interesting point. They fought pretty hard over the past year to get two senators onboard to pass this bill. I don't recall hearing much talk of immigration or wokeness.

Providing for the general welfare is all well and great, as long as everyone benefits equally from that government support. We have safety nets that are supposed to be temporary assistance, Not to provide for kids you can't afford to have and expect someone else to pay for.
Go get a job, or two.
Get and value your education.
Stay away from Crime.
Don't have a family until you can afford to do so.

If we/them can follow those three simple steps, us (and all of them) can succeed here in the US.

This path is clearly not working and has put us at the bottom of the list of developed nations.

This path is clearly not working and has put us at the bottom of the list of developed nations.
What path? The path the government has been treading, and still is treading?

I mean, I agree. People need to b e held responsible, and the safety net needs to go back to being used for what it is supposed to be used for. Out of work people getting back on their feet. Not as a means to combat generational poverty.
The only people that are going to stop generational poverty is the next generation that gets tired of living in it. The opportunities are there to take advantage of, we just need to stop coddling or excusing those unwilling to do so.

What evidence is there that Dems want to increase immigration, vs not decrease? Without immigration to provide labor, we can't grow economically. That's one reason we've become the world's greatest economic, and military, power is attracting immigration.

What is a "woke" agenda? What policies of the Dems are woke, and why?

What evidence is there that Dems want to increase immigration, vs not decrease? Without immigration to provide labor, we can't grow economically. That's one reason we've become the world's greatest economic, and military, power is attracting immigration.

What is a "woke" agenda? What policies of the Dems are woke, and why?

Oh, come on now. Unless you are foreign, this post is a joke, right? You are actually saying that the Democrats are not for increasing immigration? And you are actually trying to say that the Democratic Party does not have a woke agenda? At least admit the obvious...

We can't have a discussion of what is happening if you refuse to admit the obvious facts.

Back
Top Bottom