• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We paid $634 million for the Obamacare sites and all we got was this lousy 404

trfjr

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
The reason for this nationwide headache apparently stems from poorly written code, which buckled under the heavy influx of traffic that its engineers and administrators should have seen coming. But the fact that Healthcare.gov can’t do the one job it was built to do isn’t the most infuriating part of this debacle – it’s that we, the taxpayers, seem to have forked up more than $634 million of the federal purse to build the digital equivalent of a rock.

The exact cost to build Healthcare.gov, according to U.S. government records, appears to have been $634,320,919, which we paid to a company you probably never heard of: CGI Federal. The company originally won the contract back in 2011, but at that time, the cost was expected to run “up to” $93.7 million – still a chunk of change, but nothing near where it ended up.

http://weaselzippers.us/2013/10/09/...led-out-634320919-to-build-obamacare-website/

Over 600 million dollars and 3 years and it doesn't even ****ing work. How lovely. Gee leftists lets just waste some more money, we can just print up more and it wont even matter.

Gross: U.S. Taxpayers Shelled Out $634,320,919 To Build Obamacare Website… | Weasel Zippers

Over 600 million dollars and 3 years and it doesn't even ****ing work. How lovely. Gee leftists lets just waste some more money, we can just print up more and it wont even matter.

Sad part of the story is that it's superfluous. Every major health insurance carrier clearly shows premium amounts -- and whether one is entitled to a subsidy. This could have more easily be handled by . . . wait for it . . . private enterprise.

Sad part of the story is that it's superfluous. Every major health insurance carrier clearly shows premium amounts -- and whether one is entitled to a subsidy. This could have more easily be handled by . . . wait for it . . . private enterprise.

then Governement would lose the control that Obama care was all about

Some asshole is walking around with $634,000,000.

Yeah, well, don't heap too much praise on private enterprise.

My son, an admittedly anecdotal source, has been doing whatever the heck a programmer does since he finished his military service and got his degree. So, about 20 years experience.

After 15 years at Yucca Mtn., he lost his job to Harry Reid's insane fear mongering. He then went to work for Nevada Energy, a power company who has multiple state enterprises. They have invested as much or more in a program to track their real estate holdings. Years of work, hundreds of millions and the thing simply didn't work. My son invested 2 yers full time cleaning up this tangled mess and as a reward, his job was outsourced. Of course, they quickly discovered that his team of Indian replacements (who they forced him to train to get his severance) that they were just as lost and making things worse. So, they quickly called him and offered him his job back (after Warren Buffet bought the company).

I am proud to say he told them where to shove their job and is now lead programmer at our University. So, when more than one or two people work on projects over a long time period, you usually end up with a dysfunctional mess. Now, add to that the normal utter incompetence of government....well, I suppose its always possible to make things even worse. But the theory that this should have worked out of the box was a bit optimistic. If it had been given to the much vaunted "private enterprise" it likely would have provided good jobs for East Indians and wouldn't be any more functional than it is now.

Certainly private industry can be very good at things like making money. Just cut wages, hire your friends as "managers" and outsource your work. Why before you know it your stock will be up 50% (using nearly free loans to bankers) and you can give yourself a 50 million dollar bonus for saving all that money by screwing your American employees.

Gross: U.S. Taxpayers Shelled Out $634,320,919 To Build Obamacare Website… | Weasel Zippers

Well if Weazelzippers say's so then it MUST be true.

I followed the link to the usaspending.gov site that your story provided and I can't see how they can say any if all of that spending was to build the Obamacare website. Being that you dropped this thread in here with this wild accusation, please back it up by showing us all the links between that spending and the building of the site and how all $634,320,919 went to the building of that site.

Thank you and I'll be patiently waiting.

My son, an admittedly anecdotal source, has been doing whatever the heck a programmer does since he finished his military service and got his degree. So, about 20 years experience.

After 15 years at Yucca Mtn., he lost his job to Harry Reid's insane fear mongering. He then went to work for Nevada Energy, a power company who has multiple state enterprises. They have invested as much or more in a program to track their real estate holdings. Years of work, hundreds of millions and the thing simply didn't work. My son invested 2 yers full time cleaning up this tangled mess and as a reward, his job was outsourced. Of course, they quickly discovered that his team of Indian replacements (who they forced him to train to get his severance) that they were just as lost and making things worse. So, they quickly called him and offered him his job back (after Warren Buffet bought the company).

I am proud to say he told them where to shove their job and is now lead programmer at our University. So, when more than one or two people work on projects over a long time period, you usually end up with a dysfunctional mess. Now, add to that the normal utter incompetence of government....well, I suppose its always possible to make things even worse. But the theory that this should have worked out of the box was a bit optimistic. If it had been given to the much vaunted "private enterprise" it likely would have provided good jobs for East Indians and wouldn't be any more functional than it is now.

Certainly private industry can be very good at things like making money. Just cut wages, hire your friends as "managers" and outsource your work. Why before you know it your stock will be up 50% (using nearly free loans to bankers) and you can give yourself a 50 million dollar bonus for saving all that money by screwing your American employees.

That is the true image of what today's American Dream has become.

So cynical, Speckle. Private enterprise is the only 'enterprise' that is up and running. Without glitches. Giving comparison quotes (einsurance.com), etc. The reason? That ugly word nobody likes: profitability.

As opposed to the .gov site . . . shared responsibility of the Federal and state governments . . .

Of course, in their defense, it's only fair to mention that the .gov site actually verifies income through its portal into the IRS system. Private enterprise simply takes people's word for their income and tells them what they're entitled to. They can't sign up there.

What a cluster****.

And handled best of all, with a minimum of uncalled-for government interference. But that's rather the opposite of what the ObamaCare scam is all about.

So cynical, Speckle. Private enterprise is the only 'enterprise' that is up and running. Without glitches. Giving comparison quotes (einsurance.com), etc. The reason? That ugly word nobody likes: profitability.

As opposed to the .gov site . . . shared responsibility of the Federal and state governments . . .

Of course, in their defense, it's only fair to mention that the .gov site actually verifies income through its portal into the IRS system. Private enterprise simply takes people's word for their income and tells them what they're entitled to. They can't sign up there.

What a cluster****.

Nobody is against profitability. It's how that profitability is acquired and distributed is where the negativity comes from.

If you're not a cynic, you're not paying attention:)

Maybe I'm out of touch with domain fees for putting up a website, as well as what the current going rate is for a web designer to build a website, but will somebody please enlighten me as to how this could possibly cost more than even a million or 2?

This sounds just like those no-bid contracts that they would give to halliburton overcharging and scamming taxpayers...it's the same sht all over again.

Maybe I'm out of touch with domain fees for putting up a website, as well as what the current going rate is for a web designer to build a website, but will somebody please enlighten me as to how this could possibly cost more than even a million or 2?

This sounds just like those no-bid contracts that they would give to halliburton overcharging and scamming taxpayers...it's the same sht all over again.

634 million for a website. Anyone? Anyone want to try to itemize 10 million of it?

634 million for a website. Anyone? Anyone want to try to itemize 10 million of it?

*chirp chirp

Here's another examination, admitting it was not $634 million, but conservative estimates still put it right up there. digitaltrends

*chirp chirp

Here's another examination, admitting it was not $634 million, but conservative estimates still put it right up there. digitaltrends

Building a website doesn't even go into the hundred thousands, nor would the servers (computer equipment) that are necessary to run it. So what exactly are we talking about here? Can anybody get a clear picture of what exactly the costs are for? Or is it vagueness as usual, allowing hundreds of millions to be diverted into building bunkers for themselves?

Building a website doesn't even go into the hundred thousands, nor would the servers (computer equipment) that are necessary to run it. So what exactly are we talking about here? Can anybody get a clear picture of what exactly the costs are for? Or is it vagueness as usual, allowing hundreds of millions to be diverted into building bunkers for themselves?

Where did everybody go? Nobody else is wondering how it cost well over a half a BILLION dollars to build a website? This is how they rip us off. This is why we have such a huge deficit. Misappropriated funds are funneled away for black projects that benefit THEM, and will be used against us one day. Tell me I'm wrong.

They didn't spend $634 million on that website.

The company that made the website does other government contracts. They've received $634 total over the last few years. (some of it before Obamacare was even signed into law) 114 different contracts, apparently.

Last edited:

I can't because the number isn't accurate in the first place.

I think we can safely chalk up this one as This Is What Happens When You Give Government Money.

I think we can safely chalk this one up as This Is What Happens When You Don't Question What You're Told

I can't because the number isn't accurate in the first place.

I asked if anyone could itemize just 10 million of it....are you saying it's inaccurate and less than 10 million?

Building a website doesn't even go into the
hundred thousands, nor would the servers (computer equipment) that are necessary to run it. So what exactly are we talking about here? Can anybody get a clear picture of what exactly the costs are for? Or is it vagueness as usual, allowing hundreds of millions to be diverted into building bunkers for themselves?

Makes you wonder where all of that money REALLY went.

They
didn't spend $634 million on that website.

The company that made the website does other government contracts. They've received $634 total over the last few years. (some of it before Obamacare was even signed into law) 114 different contracts, apparently.

If they spent 50 bucks on it someone still got ripped off.

I asked if anyone could itemize just 10 million of it....are you saying it's inaccurate and less than 10 million?

Attempt to itemize any government contract. All of them are ripoffs.

But this didn't cost $600 million. If people are going to bitch about something costing too much, they can at least use an accurate number.

Back
Top Bottom