• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We need to understand, Kyiv is likely to be taken by Putin

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
We've had a lot of feel-good surprises, the huge heroism of Ukraine's resistance, Russian blunders and lack of success, the world's political unity against Putin - but unfortunately, none of it changes the likelihood that Putin can defeat Kyiv.

We're likely to see the news become just more and more filled with tragedy, barring some unexpected change in course by Putin.

“From a purely military/tactical standpoint, Russia has the manpower and firepower to take Kyiv. No question,” said an American source familiar with the intelligence. “And no matter how much resistance the Ukrainians put up.”

And at the end of the day, officials tracking the campaign say, the ugly truth remains that Ukraine is massively outgunned and outmanned

“While the Ukrainians are putting on a stiff defense, and a much better one than I think the Russians anticipated, there will be a time where they will run out of ammunition. There will come a time where they run out of fuel and they can’t move,” this person said. “We are mindful of that and they are mindful of that.”

It will fall but I think the fact that Putin has seen much more resistance both by Ukraine as well as the rest of the world that he may keep his aggression in check for a while.

It will fall but I think the fact that Putin has seen much more resistance both by Ukraine as well as the rest of the world that he may keep his aggression in check for a while.
That's small comfort for the cost to Ukraine, world order, and democracy.

And Putin should understand everyone anyone near fighting age will fight, while also understanding that he cannot possibly sustain this for a meaningful length of time with the crushing sanctions we've put on him; at least not unless China goes to great expense to bail Russia out for quite a while.

In the space of about a week, the ruble went from trading about 75 to the dollar....to trading 104.54 to the dollar. And it's gonna keep going.

We've had a lot of feel-good surprises, the huge heroism of Ukraine's resistance, Russian blunders and lack of success, the world's political unity against Putin - but unfortunately, none of it changes the likelihood that Putin can defeat Kyiv.

We're likely to see the news become just more and more filled with tragedy, barring some unexpected change in course by Putin.

That is defeatism. Yes it may happen but speculating about it is not useful.

I do not think that anything is going any differently than Putin planed. I will preface this with saying first that I am shocked what has happened. Now that the invasion has started, I have revisited the situation. Here is what I think will happen. Putin takes Kiev and most of the country except for most of the west. I do not think he plans on taking the west. Too much trouble. So, he takes the capital installs his puppet government. This is why he has not gone all out with his elite troops and equipment. He does not want to destroy Ukraine. He plans on slowly reducing the anger of the people. He does not expect acceptance by the people. He does not care frankly. His puppet government will recognize Crimea as being part of Russia. The Donbass will vote to be part of Russia and Russia will annex it. People in the west will riot and rebel but Putin will not care. He gets more territory, and the rest of Ukraine will be in chaos which will be just fine with Putin.

I honestly think that Putin’s reputation has suffered irreparable damage at this stage of the war. Not sure at all where he goes and how hard he goes.

It's not pleasant, it's not fun, it is useful.

Taken, but hell to hold.
Agreed. It's not clear what his longer term plan is or if he has one. But likely not impossible to hold. The world is filled with governments against the will of the people.

The battle has barely begun and so many are already writing Ukraine off.

That’s some weak shit.

If those nations that have already spoken up maintain solidarity with Ukraine, keeping sanctions in place, and increasing pressure wherever possible, Putin will be forced to withdraw.

Not now. What happens over the next few days will determine the map of Europe and our politics.
Disagree. The future of Ukraine, and Europe as a whole, will not be decided in the next few days.

The battle has barely begun and so many are already writing Ukraine off.

That’s some weak shit.

If those nations that have already spoken up maintain solidarity with Ukraine, keeping sanctions in place, and increasing pressure wherever possible, Putin will be forced to withdraw.
I think you are being naive. I think the meeting with Xi was to establish back door trade plans. China needs raw materials and Russia needs the cash.

You must be very excited.

So not nice...to say this to anyone.
Try less to exploit Putin's humanitarian crimes to promote a political agenda.

IF there was ever a time, this is the time for all of us to unite, and do it for Ukraine.

I honestly think that Putin’s reputation has suffered irreparable damage at this stage of the war. Not sure at all where he goes and how hard he goes.

I predict that he will not be alive in 2023. He will be killed or off himself. The latter, the evil coward that he has proven himself to be will most likely come to fruition.

I predict that he will not be alive in 2023. He will be killed or off himself. The latter, the evil coward that he has proven himself to be will most likely come to fruition.
He doesn’t look physically well, I know he is only 69, the world leadership needs some younger blood, Zelensky (sp?) seems to be up to the task……

Not now. What happens over the next few days will determine the map of Europe and our politics.
Having an accurate understanding is a good thing because of that.

I do not think that anything is going any differently than Putin planed. I will preface this with saying first that I am shocked what has happened. Now that the invasion has started, I have revisited the situation. Here is what I think will happen. Putin takes Kiev and most of the country except for most of the west. I do not think he plans on taking the west. Too much trouble. So, he takes the capital installs his puppet government. This is why he has not gone all out with his elite troops and equipment. He does not want to destroy Ukraine. He plans on slowly reducing the anger of the people. He does not expect acceptance by the people. He does not care frankly. His puppet government will recognize Crimea as being part of Russia. The Donbass will vote to be part of Russia and Russia will annex it. People in the west will riot and rebel but Putin will not care. He gets more territory, and the rest of Ukraine will be in chaos which will be just fine with Putin.

It will be interesting to see how he will be "slowly reducing the anger of the people." From what I have heard, even Ukrainian Russians object to his effort.

Back
Top Bottom