• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We Need to Increase Minimum Voting Age to 25

Is it prejudice against younger people to have a minimum age requirement?

It's more than cognitive issues, though. Our government seems to be always behind the rest of America when it comes to supporting various causes whether it be LGBTQ rights, minimum wage, M4A, etc.
answer to question number1: It was. When I was growing up one had to be 21 to vote, but could be drafted at 18.

answer to question number 2: you are assuming older people oppose LGBTQ rights, raising the minimum wage and other reasonable social measures. I am "older" and do not. And my late parents, who were liberal and had friends in the Abraham Lincoln Brigades, would not have. My father lost his scholarship at Columbia College for his "radical" behavior prior to World War II. (But then the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and, at age 21, he enlisted in the US Army.)

answer to question number1: It was. When I was growing up one had to be 21 to vote, but could be drafted at 18.

Okay, but there is still a minimum age requirement...

answer to question number 2: you are assuming older people oppose LGBTQ rights, raising the minimum wage and other reasonable social measures. I am "older" and do not. And my late parents, who were liberal and had friends in the Abraham Lincoln Brigades, would not have. My father lost his scholarship at Columbia College for his "radical" behavior prior to World War II. (But then the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and, at age 21, he enlisted in the US Army.)

No, I never said older people are opposed to those things, though they are definitely more likely to than other age groups. There are exceptions to every rule. If we're going to have minimum age restrictions based on the idea younger people are too inexperienced or lack wisdom, then a maximum age makes sense as they are making decisions that will affect younger generations, and less so their own.

But it seems you and I are just going to have to agree to disagree on this.

Because from what I can see here at DP it’s pretty much a screwed up immature demographic who thinks America is all about them.

It’s not. But that didn’t stop the adolescents from voting for Biden. Being a little more mature might result in less foolish votes thus avoiding dumpster fires like Biden.

Increase voting age to at least 25.

View attachment 67377227
Soldiers can serve and die at 17...so, no we should not increase the voting age

Because from what I can see here at DP it’s pretty much a screwed up immature demographic who thinks America is all about them.

It’s not. But that didn’t stop the adolescents from voting for Biden. Being a little more mature might result in less foolish votes thus avoiding dumpster fires like Biden.

View attachment 67377227
Altering the voting age will not change anything. The vast majority of Americans are civically illiterate and don't have the foggiest clue how their own government functions. Until that changes it doesn't matter if they are voting at age 15 or 25, it will continue to be monumentally stupid based solely on which politician panders to the masses the best.

This is exactly what the Democratic Party had in mind when they seized federal control of education in 1980. A civically illiterate population is much easier to control.

Altering the voting age will not change anything. The vast majority of Americans are civically illiterate and don't have the foggiest clue how their own government functions. Until that changes it doesn't matter if they are voting at age 15 or 25, it will continue to be monumentally stupid based solely on which politician panders to the masses the best.

This is exactly what the Democratic Party had in mind when they seized federal control of education in 1980. A civically illiterate population is much easier to control.
All evidence to the contrary. (Witness the January 6 insurrection.)

In my opinion, one of the problems is that people no longer read.

All evidence to the contrary. (Witness the January 6 insurrection.)

In my opinion, one of the problems is that people no longer read.
Thank you for proving my point. There was no insurrection on January 6, 2021, or any other day. But your lack of education in basic civics makes you believe leftist propaganda.

No matter what would have happened on January 6, 2021, Biden would have still been inaugurated President on January 20, 2021. The election had already been determined on December 14, 2020 when all 50 States certified their Electoral College votes. January 6, 2021 was nothing more than a formality that every new session of Congress goes through after every General Election. The riot, and that is all that it was, had absolutely no effect on government nor was it seeking to - or capable of - overthrow the government.

You should attempt to get a basic education in civics and stop believing in what propagandists are telling you. Follow your own advice and begin by reading the US Constitution.

Thank you for proving my point. There was no insurrection on January 6, 2021, or any other day. But your lack of education in basic civics makes you believe leftist propaganda.

No matter what would have happened on January 6, 2021, Biden would have still been inaugurated President on January 20, 2021. The election had already been determined on December 14, 2020 when all 50 States certified their Electoral College votes. January 6, 2021 was nothing more than a formality that every new session of Congress goes through after every General Election. The riot, and that is all that it was, had absolutely no effect on government nor was it seeking to - or capable of - overthrow the government.

You should attempt to get a basic education in civics and stop believing in what propagandists are telling you. Follow your own advice and begin by reading the US Constitution.
^^mansplaning^^ truth

I'm fine with that if we also cap the maximum voting age at 77. People who have a less than 50% chance of surviving the next presidential term shouldn't be allowed to vote.

You should attempt to get a basic education in civics
Already done. I was a high school history teacher at an independent school back in the old days (the 1970's) when one needed a lot of knowledge of the field in order to get a teaching job at such a school. I received a bachelor's degree with a double major in Politics and History cum laude and also have two master's degrees, one in History, with credits beyond that towards a Ph.D..

Back
Top Bottom