• The forum will be going down at about 7:30 AM CST Oct 16 for maintenance. We should be down less than 1 hour.

  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We need to have a conversation about black voters...

Bucky

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 5, 2015
Messages
21,585
Reaction score
4,298
Location
Washington
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Florida had one of the most shocking results of the midterm elections, where Republican Ron DeSantis beat Democratic rising star Andrew Gillum by less than 1 percentage point for Florida governor despite pollsters predicting a comfortable 3-4 point win for Gillum.

While some analysts and Twitter warriors blamed white women for DeSantis’ success, CNN exit polls showed he had a significant gain among minority voters from previous Republican candidates.

CNN exit polls showed DeSantis won 60 percent of the white vote, down from the 64 percent Trump received in 2016, and down 9 percentage points among white women. DeSantis made up from his loss with white voters by spiking his numbers with minorities. DeSantis won 14 percent of black voters and 44 percent of Hispanic voters.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...-the-governors-office-and-the-numbers-show-it

It seems the walk-away movement is gaining steam. Blacks didn't overwhelmingly vote for a black man in Andrew Gillum, despite getting an endorsement by Barack Obama.

Why is this? Maybe blacks didn't resonate with a far-left/progressive agenda which Gillum represented. Maybe they didn't want to vote another con man into office.

It seems just maybe, just maybe blacks and Hispanics are tired of what the Democrats have been serving them and the progressive/socialist message does not resonate with them.
 

Jade Dragon

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2018
Messages
150
Reaction score
257
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...-the-governors-office-and-the-numbers-show-it

It seems the walk-away movement is gaining steam. Blacks didn't overwhelmingly vote for a black man in Andrew Gillum, despite getting an endorsement by Barack Obama.

Why is this? Maybe blacks didn't resonate with a far-left/progressive agenda which Gillum represented. Maybe they didn't want to vote another con man into office.

It seems just maybe, just maybe blacks and Hispanics are tired of what the Democrats have been serving them and the progressive/socialist message does not resonate with them.

You can't tell anything off of one result. We all should know the scientific method for results. As it stands it could be numerous different reasons why it went this way. Assumption is the path for the fool among us.
 

Skeptic Bob

DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 6, 2014
Messages
16,626
Reaction score
19,488
Location
Texas
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
We need to have a conversation about having conversations.
 

Kobie

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 17, 2013
Messages
48,281
Reaction score
25,273
Location
Western NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...-the-governors-office-and-the-numbers-show-it

It seems the walk-away movement is gaining steam. Blacks didn't overwhelmingly vote for a black man in Andrew Gillum, despite getting an endorsement by Barack Obama.

Why is this? Maybe blacks didn't resonate with a far-left/progressive agenda which Gillum represented. Maybe they didn't want to vote another con man into office.

It seems just maybe, just maybe blacks and Hispanics are tired of what the Democrats have been serving them and the progressive/socialist message does not resonate with them.

DeSantis got 14 percent of the black vote and, assuming Gillum got the remaining 86 percent -- that's not overwhelming?

If you're partying over 1 in 7, maybe you need to have a different conversation.
 

RabidAlpaca

Engineer
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2012
Messages
22,514
Reaction score
29,402
Location
American Refugee in Europe
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
DeSantis got 14 percent of the black vote and, assuming Gillum got the remaining 86 percent -- that's not overwhelming?

If you're partying over 1 in 7, maybe you need to have a different conversation.

"Not all black people hate us?? Just most?? Pop the champagne, my republican brothers! Darkie decided to vote himself off the plantation for once!"
 

SoCal

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Joined
Feb 26, 2018
Messages
3,534
Reaction score
1,544
Location
San Diego
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
We need to have a conversation about having conversations.

Nice sentiment, I agree, but you should be very skeptical about both sides wanting a conversation. One side wants one, but the other is done talking and compromising. For them compromise means giving up whatever's left of their shredded principles. They only want results, whatever the means.

Conservative posters on this forum proudly admit it. Repub politicians give lip service about wanting to work with the Dems, but they never make serious offers, it's not in their DNA;

"...Psychologists have shown that conservatives, more than liberals, tend to be "rigid" in their thinking, prefer "purity" and "order," and view the world in black and white terms. These psychological predispositions might explain why Republicans are less likely to approve of compromise than comparable Democrats..."

Another good is the 'Hastert Rule', the Dems have never had an equivalent. Beware of false equivalency...
 

SonOfDaedalus

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 13, 2017
Messages
13,278
Reaction score
8,112
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I think you’re jumping to conclusions and sadly so is the article.

No numbers were given for voter turnout.

Black conservatives vote at a far far higher rate than Black liberals. If turnout among Blacks drops you’ll see a spike in Black conservative share of the Black vote.

Liberal vote and Black liberal vote especially is notoriously low in midterm elections. So, of course you’ll see more Black conservative share of votes in a midterm vs a presidential cycle.

This Blexit thing is never going to happen. Why would Black people vote for people who don’t think their lives matter? Trevon Martin was stalked and killed. Tamir Rice was a kid in a park with a B.B. gun. Why would we vote for the same people who excite White Supremacists?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Top Bottom