• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We need to ban handguns

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Second amendment, self-defense, 'freedom', 'resisting the government', name all you want about reasons for guns, and it's fulfilled by long guns.

The only 'self-defense' not met is walking around with a handgun on you. And the fact that there are OTHER, criminal, hostile, people walking around with handguns far outweighs the benefit to your self-defense. The aggressor will far more often have the benefit of shooting first, of surprising or ambushing.

Today, I was assaulted by a young man who had a crazed level of hostility when told to wear his mask over his nose. I suspect he's a criminal mentality in general, with that level of hostility and readiness to use violence. If he'd had a handgun, there's no reason apparent he wouldn't use it.

We do not need that level of danger, that level of murder, because some idiotic, ignorant, deluded people are in a gun cult mentality, even if THEY don't live around the dangerous people who walk around with handguns and criminal mentalities and tempers.

I'm not anti-gun ownership or anti-gun rights. I'm anti-idiotic stealthy guns that greatly increase the danger and killing for only a small fraction of the benefit in return.

Pro-gun people love to say 'mass shootings are a tiny percent of the shootings, banning assault rifles is just a political feel good move that doesn't fix things'. So, let's ban the crime gun: the hand gun. Now.

I'm pretty tired of America being the worst country around in important areas.

Worst at jailing the most, worst at the virus, worst at gun violence, worst at arming the world in military weapons, worst at taking vaccines apparently. The only defense I know for handguns is mindless, and I have no respect for that position.

I DO have some sympathy for the enormous undertaking it would be practically, and the fact that it would be imperfect, where on occasion, 'the only person with a gun was a criminal'. But overall, the number of killings will plummet. I'm open to reasonable ways to implement it over time and phase it in. And I'm tired of the idiotic mentality of people who don't care unless they are personally affected by the violence.

Second amendment, self-defense, 'freedom', 'resisting the government', name all you want about reasons for guns, and it's fulfilled by long guns.

The only 'self-defense' not met is walking around with a handgun on you. And the fact that there are OTHER, criminal, hostile, people walking around with handguns far outweighs the benefit to your self-defense. The aggressor will far more often have the benefit of shooting first, of surprising or ambushing.

Today, I was assaulted by a young man who had a crazed level of hostility when told to wear his mask over his nose. I suspect he's a criminal mentality in general, with that level of hostility and readiness to use violence. If he'd had a handgun, there's no reason apparent he wouldn't use it.

We do not need that level of danger, that level of murder, because some idiotic, ignorant, deluded people are in a gun cult mentality, even if THEY don't live around the dangerous people who walk around with handguns and criminal mentalities and tempers.

I'm not anti-gun ownership or anti-gun rights. I'm anti-idiotic stealthy guns that greatly increase the danger and killing for only a small fraction of the benefit in return.

Pro-gun people love to say 'mass shootings are a tiny percent of the shootings, banning assault rifles is just a political feel good move that doesn't fix things'. So, let's ban the crime gun: the hand gun. Now.

Worst at jailing the most, worst at the virus, worst at gun violence, worst at arming the world in military weapons, worst at taking vaccines apparently. The only defense I know for handguns is mindless, and I have no respect for that position.

I DO have some sympathy for the enormous undertaking it would be practically, and the fact that it would be imperfect, where on occasion, 'the only person with a gun was a criminal'. But overall, the number of killings will plummet. I'm open to reasonable ways to implement it over time and phase it in. And I'm tired of the idiotic mentality of people who don't care unless they are personally affected by the violence.

Maybe you should mind your own business? Your inability, or unwillingness to do so aren't grounds to ban handguns. Besides, he could have just as easily stabbed you, or bludgeoned you.

Banning any number of things could save lives. I prefer freedom baby. Don’t restrict me because criminals abuse hand guns.

How about we put hand gun criminals out of their misery, and do it fast? Problem reduced (few problems are ever solved).

Banning fast cars would save lives. Banning fried chicken would save lives.

And no doubt appeasing far leftists would lead to a ban on fried chicken eventually. Screw that.

Last edited:

You've just made the short hairs on people's arse holes stand straight up in the air.

Mods, apologies for not thinking to look for a handgun control sub-forum. Please feel free to move this if you feel it belongs there which it seems to.

Also, until we DO ban handguns, I think there's a case for having one for self-defense. Just recognize the dangers it poses - you use it wrongly, it's used against you, it's stolen and used by criminals, accidents - and the likelihood it won't protect you. You aren't the one who is likely to draw first.

OP... why do you dislike minorities?

Also, until we DO ban handguns, I think there's a case for having one for self-defense. Just recognize the dangers it poses - you use it wrongly, it's used against you, it's stolen and used by criminals, accidents - and the likelihood it won't protect you. You aren't the one who is likely to draw first.

There really isn't any "Until we do" here. We're not gonna ban handguns; what you're suggesting is even more unlikely to ever be implemented, anywhere, in the United States.

Please reveal your foolproof plan for collecting all handguns in America. This includes the handguns of all criminals, gang members, as well as legal gun owners. When you figure out how to confiscate all guns you may get some movement of this. Legal gun owners are not going to willingly give up guns when they know that criminals will not give them up.

I’m sorry, you want to ban guns because you were assaulted by someone who didn’t have one?

Lol, so you see the value in handguns for self defense and that has led you to conclude that handguns shouldn’t be available for self defense?

Lol, so you see the value in handguns for self defense and that has led you to conclude that handguns shouldn’t be available for self defense?

It appears to be too complicated for you that the best situation is a handgun ban, but that when there isn't a ban, there is a case for law-abiding people to have them against the real danger of dangerous people having them. It's up to each person to weight the pros and cons.

I’m sorry, you want to ban guns because you were assaulted by someone who didn’t have one?

No. Sorry the OP is too complicated for you, also.

Do you support stop and frisk then?

I am anti assault weapons designed to kill human beings and making it so easy to buy military style weapons. I've been though shooting exercises galore with my father and grandfathers, Boy Scouts and the military.
Gang shootings stink, racist shootings stink, mixing drugs and guns is irresponsible, mixing guns and alcohol is irresponsible, mixing guns and jealous lovers is irresponsible and the NRA sucks across the board.

Hell when I was 15 years old was able to earn a membership in the NRA through the Boy Scouts. Suddenly conservatives decided to over throw the NRA as a means to get around campaign donation regulations which made the
NRA a pile of sh-t. Now the NRA is stealing money from the organization and those responsible should go to jail for embezzlement.

We need some tight and enforced federal regulations regarding guns BECAUSE radical and violent humans have demonstrated overwhelmingly they cannot self discipline. When the military is done with weapons the USA government
should mandate they be melted down and made into picnic tables.

We need to ban handguns

Because banning something automatically solves all the real problems.... has banning certain drugs and a constitutional prohibition on booze in the past worked out for the US ?

All it does is disarm the law abiding and empower the criminal element.

Here's an interesting statistic.

Of all the murders/non-negligent manslaughters by handguns, rifles, or shotguns, handguns were used for 93%; rifles for 6%; and shotguns for 3% (don't total 100% because of rounding, e.g., handguns are 92.7%).

Because banning something automatically solves all the real problems.... has banning certain drugs and a constitutional prohibition on booze in the past worked out for the US ?

Old old position and blah blah blah ....... throw the weapons in the melting pot.

Banning firearms is like banning pot.
GMAFB.

Blah, blah, blah. False analogies.

It is its own issue, and we need to ban handguns to save thousands of Americans annually, and make the country a safer place. Will it be perfect? No. We ban murder and murder continues. Should we stop banning it?

Old old position and blah blah blah ....... throw the weapons in the melting pot.

An old and accurate position that cannot be denied.

Hand guns are not going anywhere, so I am not too concerned.

Banning firearms is like banning pot.

No, it's not. Here's a bit of a wakeup call for you: Mexican drug cartels get many of their guns from the US. Funny, they don't buy their pot from US pot shops.

Blah, blah, blah. False analogies.

It is its own issue, and we need to ban handguns to save thousands of Americans annually, and make the country a safer place. Will it be perfect? No. We ban murder and murder continues. Should we stop banning it?

Accurate analogy,.

However....comparing possession of a legal firearm to murder?

Thats a false analogy.

An old and accurate position that cannot be denied.

It's about as accurate as your statement that it can't be denied, when it has been.

Hand guns are not going anywhere, so I am not too concerned.

They need to. The blood of thousands of Americans a year is on your hands if you support the country being made dangerous by handguns.

Accurate analogy,.

However....comparing possession of a legal firearm to murder?

Thats a false analogy.

Some people aren't able to have a rational discussion, so I'll just wish one a nice day.

Back
Top Bottom