• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We need to ban handguns

Would you mind being killed tonight? I guarantee you it'll be statistically insignificant for the country. Good you're clear that you are for tens of thousands of Americans being killed annually because you don't give a crap about them. Why don't we open it up to up to 10,000 sport killings for tv shows, too? Statistically small so who cares? How about allowing up to 10,000 to pay the government to kill people - help the debt and statistically insignificant.

Death is inevitable, and I'm spiritually fit to accept my demise. Why don't you try and use a little less emotion in your next diatribe?

Death is inevitable, and I'm spiritually fit to accept my demise. Why don't you try and use a little less emotion in your next diatribe?

I see it's a waste of time trying to discuss with you, so not planning a next time.

Second amendment, self-defense, 'freedom', 'resisting the government', name all you want about reasons for guns, and it's fulfilled by long guns.

The only 'self-defense' not met is walking around with a handgun on you. And the fact that there are OTHER, criminal, hostile, people walking around with handguns far outweighs the benefit to your self-defense. The aggressor will far more often have the benefit of shooting first, of surprising or ambushing.

Today, I was assaulted by a young man who had a crazed level of hostility when told to wear his mask over his nose. I suspect he's a criminal mentality in general, with that level of hostility and readiness to use violence. If he'd had a handgun, there's no reason apparent he wouldn't use it.

We do not need that level of danger, that level of murder, because some idiotic, ignorant, deluded people are in a gun cult mentality, even if THEY don't live around the dangerous people who walk around with handguns and criminal mentalities and tempers.

I'm not anti-gun ownership or anti-gun rights. I'm anti-idiotic stealthy guns that greatly increase the danger and killing for only a small fraction of the benefit in return.

Pro-gun people love to say 'mass shootings are a tiny percent of the shootings, banning assault rifles is just a political feel good move that doesn't fix things'. So, let's ban the crime gun: the hand gun. Now.

I'm pretty tired of America being the worst country around in important areas.

Worst at jailing the most, worst at the virus, worst at gun violence, worst at arming the world in military weapons, worst at taking vaccines apparently. The only defense I know for handguns is mindless, and I have no respect for that position.

I DO have some sympathy for the enormous undertaking it would be practically, and the fact that it would be imperfect, where on occasion, 'the only person with a gun was a criminal'. But overall, the number of killings will plummet. I'm open to reasonable ways to implement it over time and phase it in. And I'm tired of the idiotic mentality of people who don't care unless they are personally affected by the violence.
So, what is stopping you?

There is a very specific procedure established for this sort of thing. Get you congressman or Senator to propose the amendment. IF your case is compelling, you should get it passed.

Today, I was assaulted by a young man who had a crazed level of hostility when told to wear his mask over his nose. I suspect he's a criminal mentality in general, with that level of hostility and readiness to use violence. If he'd had a handgun, there's no reason apparent he wouldn't use it.

So you want to ban handguns because that guy did not have a handgun :thinking

I see people in public all the time who aren't wearing masks. Maybe they have a health problem, or maybe they're just looking for a fight. As someone who is armed, I am obligated to avoid a fight, so I mind my business. If I were unarmed, as you would like me to be, then I would be free to pick a fight with these people.

Also, until we DO ban handguns, I think there's a case for having one for self-defense. Just recognize the dangers it poses - you use it wrongly, it's used against you, it's stolen and used by criminals, accidents - and the likelihood it won't protect you. You aren't the one who is likely to draw first.

We literally have whole classes on all that. You must be new to the gun world.

I see it's a waste of time trying to discuss with you, so not planning a next time.

This entire forum is a waste of time, that's why we're here :) This isn't Congress, we don't decide policy, nothing said here matters in the real world.

What we need to ban ... stop ... is hate. When I was a child and adolescent in my rural America everyone owned a gun, it was a rite of passage. BUT! We were taught how to use them and respect what they can do by men that were just back from War 2, and they were serious as a heart attack about gun safety. When I was 12 years old I bought my first rifle, by myself, and then walked home with it over my shoulder down a major thorough fair, and NOBODY gave it a second thought; today that, very well, would get that 12 year old killed; not that he/she could buy the gun in the first place.

I vacillate between gun control (of certain firearms) and knowing full well that a pipe with a bullet in it is dangerous no matter what accoutrements it has. In my youth AmeriCANs owned guns without shooting each other, for the most part, it's not the guns; though we have gone gun crazy in this country ... WITHOUT ... the proper training on use and respect ... and FEAR ... of ****ing up that I was taught just as naturally as my ABC's. Regulating guns is a ship that's sailed.

BUT, we have to stop HATING each other and realize WE are US ... U.S.. IF we are going to legislate anything about firearms it should be their proper use and respect for what they can do; and probably some sort of mental health screening. It really isn't guns that kill people, it's desperate, uneducated and Hateful people that are killing people; America has to become AmeriCANs again.

But I'm not talking about handguns, too, I'm talking about handguns, period here. I was clear in laying out a defense of at least most long guns. 'Assault guns' were put aside for this thread.

Okay.
Still doesn't change what I was saying, though.

Second amendment, self-defense, 'freedom', 'resisting the government', name all you want about reasons for guns, and it's fulfilled by long guns.

The only 'self-defense' not met is walking around with a handgun on you. And the fact that there are OTHER, criminal, hostile, people walking around with handguns far outweighs the benefit to your self-defense. The aggressor will far more often have the benefit of shooting first, of surprising or ambushing.

We do not need that level of danger, that level of murder, because some idiotic, ignorant, deluded people are in a gun cult mentality, even if THEY don't live around the dangerous people who walk around with handguns and criminal mentalities and tempers.

I'm not anti-gun ownership or anti-gun rights. I'm anti-idiotic stealthy guns that greatly increase the danger and killing for only a small fraction of the benefit in return.

Pro-gun people love to say 'mass shootings are a tiny percent of the shootings, banning assault rifles is just a political feel good move that doesn't fix things'. So, let's ban the crime gun: the hand gun. Now.

Worst at jailing the most, worst at the virus, worst at gun violence, worst at arming the world in military weapons, worst at taking vaccines apparently. The only defense I know for handguns is mindless, and I have no respect for that position.

I DO have some sympathy for the enormous undertaking it would be practically, and the fact that it would be imperfect, where on occasion, 'the only person with a gun was a criminal'. But overall, the number of killings will plummet. I'm open to reasonable ways to implement it over time and phase it in. And I'm tired of the idiotic mentality of people who don't care unless they are personally affected by the violence.

Ban handguns?

Now.who do you think that hurts? Why only the law abiding American citizens

The criminals are.already breaking several laws even carrying a handgun. What is one more law to them.

Enforce the laws we have before.making up.new.ones

There really isn't any "Until we do" here. We're not gonna ban handguns; what you're suggesting is even more unlikely to ever be implemented, anywhere, in the United States.

Yeah, this is the best way to say this, which is good, because I wanted to say something like this, but I haven't finished my first coffee of the day, and last night's partying is still kicking my head in a bit... :lol:

To me, most knee jerk gun "control" initiatives are simply an way for lazy progressives to feel like they've taken a stand. When it, of course, fails to gain traction, they can say "Welp, I tried, it's the fault of the right". This is much easier than attempting to address the root cause of why so many Americans feel the need to engage in crime in the first place, at such a strangely high rate, when compared to similarly privileged countries. Of course, neither "side" seems all that interested in figuring this one out.

GUN CONTROL WILL HAPPEN IF THE FOLLOWING OCCURS

I can guarantee you that guns and automatic weapons would be banned if
African-Americans, Hispanic-Americans, Asian-Americans, and Islamic-Americans
started applying for gun permits in large numbers

They could ride armed through the streets in their SUVs in
support of the Black Lives Matter protesters

I HAVE A DREAM THAT GUN CONTROL WILL HAPPEN

There will be no banning. You need to either get used to the 2nd or leave. There are plenty of nations that accept weak willed sheeple who allow their freedoms to be removed.

So, you don't want those scary "assault weapons" and now you don't want handguns. I guess rusty, non-working Revolutionary War muskets are OK.

I was thinking about a new one with total stopping power but was hesitant due to the cost of ...your thread made up my mind. Im getting it! Thing is awesome... Thanks for help in making that decision.

Well I am a liberal

I am old and don't much give a.$#!t.

I hope those who are tasked with coming for my guns make a personal decision to not enforce an unconstitional law.

Because they will not get my guns while I am still alive!

Could you summarize that detailed argument?

Sure.

I bear zero responsibility the criminal actions of others. Therefore, I have no blood on my hands.

I hope that helps.

Sure.

I bear zero responsibility the criminal actions of others. Therefore, I have no blood on my hands.

I hope that helps.

Oh. So if you bought a thousand handguns and gave them to local criminals and left them on streets for anyone to pick them up, and they were then used in crimes, you have no fault or role in it, right? People like you who have no clue about morality like this are a big part of the problem, the type who would say, "I don't own slaves, so I have no accountability for voting for people who keep slavery legal."

Well I am a liberal

I am old and don't much give a.$#!t.

I hope those who are tasked with coming for my guns make a personal decision to not enforce an unconstitional law.

Because they will not get my guns while I am still alive!

So, if the government did the right thing and banned handguns, you are saying yu would demand to keep yours, not only your long guns, and kill any government officials who told you to get rid of your handguns, and you support all of the Americans killed by them?

we need to ban your right to speak.
we need to ban your right to a trial
we need to ban your right against search and seizure.

to hell with your rights lets get rid of them all.

Some day, you might know what you are talking about, but it's a long ways off.

Sorry, but you aren’t the arbiter of which type firearms Americans can and cannot own. And the idea of banning all handguns in America at this point is completely ludicrous. The only thing your idea would succeed at would be ensuring that only the criminals would have handguns.

Banning any number of things could save lives. I prefer freedom baby. Don’t restrict me because criminals abuse hand guns.

How about we put hand gun criminals out of their misery, and do it fast? Problem reduced (few problems are ever solved).

Banning fast cars would save lives. Banning fried chicken would save lives.

And no doubt appeasing far leftists would lead to a ban on fried chicken eventually. Screw that.

Has capital punishment 'reduced' the problem of murders, or do they still happen on a daily basis? Of all the civilized, advanced nations on earth, only America continues this idiocy of allowing virtually unrestricted gun ownership. You'll grow up eventually; I have to remind myself that America is still very young, with a lot to learn.

Banning any number of things could save lives. I prefer freedom baby. Don’t restrict me because criminals abuse hand guns.

How about we put hand gun criminals out of their misery, and do it fast? Problem reduced (few problems are ever solved).

Banning fast cars would save lives. Banning fried chicken would save lives.

And no doubt appeasing far leftists would lead to a ban on fried chicken eventually. Screw that.
268F6973-64BB-41BE-8624-CF3A3B175BC4.jpg
Some folks should eat lots and lots of fried chicken. ;)

GUN CONTROL WILL HAPPEN IF THE FOLLOWING OCCURS

I can guarantee you that guns and automatic weapons would be banned if
African-Americans, Hispanic-Americans, Asian-Americans, and Islamic-Americans
started applying for gun permits in large numbers

They could ride armed through the streets in their SUVs in
support of the Black Lives Matter protesters

I HAVE A DREAM THAT GUN CONTROL WILL HAPPEN

Reminds me of how the Black Panthers got guns, and went to the California state capitol and hung out with them. Lawmakers suddenly saw the need for gun restrictions.

It's ironic how some of the white people with guns and hate think the Muslims are the dangerous people.

But I'm not talking about handguns, too, I'm talking about handguns, period here. I was clear in laying out a defense of at least most long guns. 'Assault guns' were put aside for this thread.

There are very good arguments that trying to defend yourself with a long gun in your home is much more dangerous than with a hand gun.

Back
Top Bottom