• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We must put the power back where it belongs

When our Nation was founded it was as a Republic not a democracy. A pure democracy they knew could degenerate into chaos. A Republic is composed of bodies (States) that would more than share the power of the central government , they would keep it under control.

The framers knew that ”central governments” whether monarchical or otherwise would inevitably succumb to the truth that “power corrupts…” and carefully crafted our Constitution to place the real power to regulate the people in the States where the people could interact with and directly influence the actions of their government.

It was in the Counties and Townships where the real guts of political power resided in their time and they personally observed “democracy at work”. And work it did, individual citizens personally influencing the actions of those who governed them. Even back then they sensed that in the faraway capital of the Nation representatives could (would inevitably) lose touch.

Well, they certainly were right. What we have in DC are Dukes and Earls, Lords and Ladies, Princes and Princesses. All the trappings of royalty. Private cars and planes. Private banks and Post Offices, Private Dining Rooms, and now we hear of Private Medical Clinics. Our betters. Get in their faces and you go to jail. Appear about to get physical you get shot and you’ll never hear about the Federal trigger puller getting suspended pending a review by a “Civilian Review Board”. What they do up there is right because they do it. It used to be called “Divine Right”.

We now exhibit fewer of the characteristics of a Republic than we do of an oligarchy.

I see my Mayor, Board Members, and Sheriff at the grocery (they won’t have the Executive Protection Service hovering nearby) and if inclined can let them know how I feel. They’ll listen and probably react.

From Contemporary Federalists - My Blog

You seemingly make many good points,4776.
And I agree with many.
A private jet for our president, a chauffered limosine, his private doctor(I guess).
Should our President have these things...
"Back in the day", we had one President who died pennyless.
Is this right?
But, it is no longer 1776, the year is 2010 - things are different.
That things are different, is that your complaint?
Please be honest.

The "power".
Then who should control the "power"?
"Washington is out of touch"..
Oh, is that a fact?

That "We must put the power back where it belongs" means that you have dominated the power. How do you get the dominance? How have you lost it at the first place, and what makes you think you can get it bakc after you lost it? Doesn't the group who has acquired the power think that the power has properly been in good hand now? It is so much better to figure our why the power is lost than whining to get it back. Do you ever have experience of losing money? If you do, how easy is it to get the money back?

Last edited:
BTW there are two links:[Poll: D C elites a world apart"] and [article]

Last edited:
crebigsol;bt99 said:
That "We must put the power back where it belongs" means that you have dominated the power. How do you get the dominance? How have you lost it at the first place, and what makes you think you can get it bakc after you lost it? Doesn't the group who has acquired the power think that the power has properly been in good hand now? It is so much better to figure our why the power is lost than whining to get it back. Do you ever have experience of losing money? If you do, how easy is it to get the money back?

I'm NOT "whining", I'm proclaiming!

earthworm;bt98 said:
The "power".
Then who should control the "power"?
"Washington is out of touch"..
Oh, is that a fact?

Update: Yesterday afternoon about 4:00 (CDT) on NPR, Katrina Vandenhuevel (the other side) said "Washington is out of touch".

We have been losing this great country of ours for a long, long time. The power and reach of the federal government has been increasing since the days of Wilson and FDR. This administration seems hell bent on hammering the final nails in the coffin of our Republic and with every piece of legislation they pass, they are succeeding. But it's not Obama's fault, it's our fault. As a nation, we've become so disinterested in the actions of our government and the actions of our politicians. We've not spoken out and not fought back. This country was founded on the principle that the government should fear the people. The government hasn't feared the people in my lifetime, and I suspect it will never fear the people ever again.

Aside from a violent clearing out of the crooks, the liars and the criminals in our federal government, I don't see anything changing any time soon. And just to clarify, violence is not the answer, nor is it a viable solution. There simply aren't enough Americans that are interested enough in righting the wrongs of our federal government to make a difference. We, the political junkies, the ones who care about what happens to our once great democracy, are far too few and far too far apart on what is right and what is wrong.

Would you have these same feelings if the GOP were in power? Or, did you have them during the Bush years?

Because today's GOP is no different the Demos. They have different philo ideas, but they are out to get what they want for their side, the GOP wants to boost business and the dems what to let everyone off.

Lastly, giving power to locals don't make the locals right. There are many Local's who are glamoured with power.

Back
Top Bottom