• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We live in a failing liberal world yet...

Yeah, California is a great place to live, if, like Bill Maher, you can afford a house in Beverly Hills. He and the rest of his liberal pals do a great job walling themselves off from the hoi polloi, who struggle with one of the highest poverty rates in the country.

Poverty in California (PPIC Publication)

There are rich people in every most state who do much the same thing. That is just reality. And that does NOTHING to negate his case that liberalism works in California and should be emulated elsewhere.

Maher is no journalist and you need to check, Cali isn't faring quite as well as his rosy assessment. Why do most libs get their content from comedians? Oh yeah, an ideology that is somewhat comedic, if it were not so tragic in its outcomes.

Feel free to point out any facts or claims he got wrong with appropriate evidence attached.

We live in a failing liberal world yet liberals lack the IQ to see that liberalism causes the problems. If only we can have just a just a little more welfare, deficits, taxes, spending, entitlements, and regulations then liberalism will show its true worth! This is mindbogglingly stupid yet it is exactly what out liberal dum dums believe.

Meanwhile............ the conservatives have their very own evangelical problem made up of idiots who vote strictly by the bible. Evangelicals would still have gays in the closet, along with many other religious based laws still on the books.

Liberals can pizz me off every now and then, but at the same time, I would much rather live a in a world not being run by bible thumping ideologists.

Nobody who knows what they're talking about would agree with this, from the vast scholarship on the subject amongst academia to the common sense of any person that chooses to not be a spiteful ideologue.

FDR is one of the finest men to ever lead our republic and Obama is mid-ranked.
FDR, Wilson, Carter and Obama are probably about the worst things that have ever been attempted against our republic in our short history. We recovered from Wilson, FDR, Carter... I am not sure yet that we will overcome Obama. Especially if we silly enough to elect another destructive lib like Hillary on Obama's heels to power...

The only good thing is she would appoint 3 or more activist judges to the SC and that would be a true catalyst for mass secession to man the life boats to get free of another sinking unsustainable and failing liberal system.

Easy peasy...already did so in another thread:

http://www.debatepolitics.com/gener...93-laboratories-democracy.html#post1066031381

If you can read with comprehension, get back to me on any points you find troubling.

What exactly in there refutes what specific claims of fact that Maher made?

I see some opinions about the future but I also went to the entire article and found that you conveniently left this part out:

Nevertheless, California's economy still appears strong.
Last month, the state's unemployment rate fell to 5.3 percent, down from 5.4 percent in March and the lowest rate since June 2007, before the Great Recession. Also, April's statewide median home price broke $500,000 for the first time in nine years, according to the California Association of Realtors.
"There's no sign whatsoever of a slowdown in the expansion," said Christopher Thornberg, founding partner of research and consulting firm Beacon Economics.

The article supports the claims of fact that Bill Maher made about the strong California economy.

Last edited:

I see some opinions about the future but I also went to the entire article and found that you conveniently left this part out:

The article supports the claims of fact that Bill Maher made about the strong California economy.
If you look at my post I congratulated Cali on doing well, how did you miss that as it was in bold and in a different color? I suppose besides being just plain blind to facts one could in addition be also color blind. And I guess you proved you cannot read with comprehension. Well, some naturally do have slower mental processing skills, granted.

Here is my post with further highlighting to give some hints as to where Maher, the comedian, painted a more rosy picture than the reality:

Did you by any chance check to see if Maher, being a paid jokester, was just joking? He is not a reporter or journalist.

I will say congrats to Cali and glad they are doing well. However, how long do you think it will it take the top 1% to get the message and move outta state? Especially if they make the tax, which was supposed to be temporary, more permanent, ... out to 2031?

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/26/calif...ture-dims.html

"California's economy is on fire, but the state's finances are facing the cold reality of a revenue slowdown. And experts blame the state's unusual tax system for the problem."

"Right now, the surging tide of revenue is beginning to turn," Governor Jerry Brown said earlier this month at a press conference announcing a revised $122.2 billion state budget and potential deficits ahead due to expiring tax increases.

"California has turned around and taken the volatility of the stock market and made it the central component of the revenue system. There's nothing right about that, because what it means is that we're constantly in either boom or bust."

"The revenue picture has dimmed a little bit," said Gabriel Petek, a credit analyst for Standard & Poor's Credit Market Services. He noted that there are only three states with a lower credit rating than California (New Jersey, Illinois and Kentucky). "

"According to state data, the top 1 percent of Californians account for nearly half of the state's income taxes, which in turn accounts for two thirds of general fund taxes. In recent years, capital gains — taxed in the state like any other income — have represented around 10 percent of California's general fund revenues"

"Last month, Moody's Investors Service conducted a "fiscal stress test" on the nation's four most populous states and found California's preparedness for a recession "weaker" than the others. It cited the Golden State's highly volatile tech industry and California's reliance on personal income taxes, particularly from top earners"

"I do think reducing the revenue volatility would be good," the governor said. "Maybe over the next year or two Republicans can join in, and we can come up with something that would make sense. It's not that simple. There's a reason why we tax the 1 percent. It's because that's a tax people have shown their willingness to vote for."

Notice how even Brown knows it takes Republican inclusion to arrive at some sense?

"Ultimately, Thornberg believes California would be better served with a Texas-style tax revenue system where there's less reliance on personal income taxes and capital gains tied to the stock market, and more of a focus on property taxes and sales taxes."

I'll give you a few hours to properly digest that.

FDR, Wilson, Carter and Obama are probably about the worst things that have ever been attempted against our republic in our short history. We recovered from Wilson, FDR, Carter... I am not sure yet that we will overcome Obama. Especially if we silly enough to elect another destructive lib like Hillary on Obama's heels to power...

The only good thing is she would appoint 3 or more activist judges to the SC and that would be a true catalyst for mass secession to man the life boats to get free of another sinking unsustainable and failing liberal system.

Needless scaremongering ...

posts like this where conservatives want to remove rights from everyone who disagrees with them, that have little to no understanding of mankind and no desire to see anything beyond their narrow understanding of the world depress me

what would happen to the world if they did acquire that life and death power over others: the Orwellian world

posts like this where conservatives want to remove rights from everyone who disagrees with them, that have little to no understanding of mankind and no desire to see anything beyond their narrow understanding of the world depress me

what would happen to the world if they did acquire that life and death power over others: the Orwellian world

Sounds like both the far left and the far right to me.

4) FDR and OBAMA are 2 worst in history for 24 years so your numbers are wrong

Oh man, would you benefit from even a cursory glance at a history book.

Such an active imagination. No, they aren't even remotely the worst things and were never 'against our republic'.

LOL! Wow.

If you look at my post I congratulated Cali on doing well, how did you miss that as it was in bold and in a different color? I suppose besides being just plain blind to facts one could in addition be also color blind. And I guess you proved you cannot read with comprehension. Well, some naturally do have slower mental processing skills, granted.

Here is my post with further highlighting to give some hints as to where Maher, the comedian, painted a more rosy picture than the reality:

Did you by any chance check to see if Maher, being a paid jokester, was just joking? He is not a reporter or journalist.

I will say congrats to Cali and glad they are doing well. However, how long do you think it will it take the top 1% to get the message and move outta state? Especially if they make the tax, which was supposed to be temporary, more permanent, ... out to 2031?

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/26/calif...ture-dims.html

"California's economy is on fire, but the state's finances are facing the cold reality of a revenue slowdown. And experts blame the state's unusual tax system for the problem."

"Right now, the surging tide of revenue is beginning to turn," Governor Jerry Brown said earlier this month at a press conference announcing a revised $122.2 billion state budget and potential deficits ahead due to expiring tax increases.

"California has turned around and taken the volatility of the stock market and made it the central component of the revenue system. There's nothing right about that, because what it means is that we're constantly in either boom or bust."

"The revenue picture has dimmed a little bit," said Gabriel Petek, a credit analyst for Standard & Poor's Credit Market Services. He noted that there are only three states with a lower credit rating than California (New Jersey, Illinois and Kentucky). "

"According to state data, the top 1 percent of Californians account for nearly half of the state's income taxes, which in turn accounts for two thirds of general fund taxes. In recent years, capital gains — taxed in the state like any other income — have represented around 10 percent of California's general fund revenues"

"Last month, Moody's Investors Service conducted a "fiscal stress test" on the nation's four most populous states and found California's preparedness for a recession "weaker" than the others. It cited the Golden State's highly volatile tech industry and California's reliance on personal income taxes, particularly from top earners"

"I do think reducing the revenue volatility would be good," the governor said. "Maybe over the next year or two Republicans can join in, and we can come up with something that would make sense. It's not that simple. There's a reason why we tax the 1 percent. It's because that's a tax people have shown their willingness to vote for."

Notice how even Brown knows it takes Republican inclusion to arrive at some sense?

"Ultimately, Thornberg believes California would be better served with a Texas-style tax revenue system where there's less reliance on personal income taxes and capital gains tied to the stock market, and more of a focus on property taxes and sales taxes."

I'll give you a few hours to properly digest that.

You seem to be operating under the willful delusion that I did not read it the first time ---- which I did.

Much of what you copied is somebody fears about what could happen in the future and NOT what is the current economical reality today. I prefer to deal with reality of now rather than the ideological based fears of later what might happen later. And your concluding statement is exactly that to a tee.

Many on the right favor sales taxes and property taxes while those on the left prefer graduated income taxes. Get over it. That is simply reality and is NOT an indictment of the California success. In fact, the California success shows why other should copy it.

LOL.

Strong California economy.

Highest Poverty Rate in the Nation.

And 5.4%? What kind of jobs are represented there? As tech adds the statistical influence of individual millionaires and billionaires to the median household income numbers, a rational review of reality in California becomes necessary.

Employment by Industry Data

Review the Historical Monthly Data for 2000-present, for California.

What industries have grown, what have shrunk? What jobs have increased so the unemployment figures have dropped.

California's economy is struggling. The middle class is being hammered. Small business is under fire and is pulling stakes for better opportunites outside the state.

Unfunded liabilities are strangling cities and the state. Taxes and fees are among the highest in the nation.

It's remarkable how selective liberals are with statistics when trying to hide the impact of their Progressive polices.

What does that say about where you get your information from?

I get my information from unbiased sources. I don't watch MSNBC and I don't watch Fox News and I don't read any crap from very biased non mainstream media and "news" organizations many people have never even heard of, most of which I have never even heard of myself because I don't read them. It's just a question of whether an earthquake sends the state into the ocean or whether they do it themselves. I'm not really going to get into defending my position because any moron with at least a pea for a brain knows California has many troubles. Are they a liberal bastion? Yes, of course they are, in the bigger cities. Rural areas not so much.

You need to watch this:

Bill Maher Asks Republicans To See Liberal California’s Success

BillMaher on HBO utterly decimated such a claim and he did so with facts and solid analysis.

Good point - liberal economic policies did not make CA weather as dismal as winter in NE. ;)

I somehow doubt that Kate Seinle's family feels so great about those liberal sancruary city policies - but heck, if it means folks can save on nanny and landscape/pool maintenance expenses then who really cares? ;)

The delusion is just too much! :lamo

LOL.

Strong California economy.

Highest Poverty Rate in the Nation.

And 5.4%? What kind of jobs are represented there? As tech adds the statistical influence of individual millionaires and billionaires to the median household income numbers, a rational review of reality in California becomes necessary.

Employment by Industry Data

Review the Historical Monthly Data for 2000-present, for California.

What industries have grown, what have shrunk? What jobs have increased so the unemployment figures have dropped.

California's economy is struggling. The middle class is being hammered. Small business is under fire and is pulling stakes for better opportunites outside the state.

Unfunded liabilities are strangling cities and the state. Taxes and fees are among the highest in the nation.

It's remarkable how selective liberals are with statistics when trying to hide the impact of their Progressive polices.

Yeah, I had to also admit that this is a very odd definition of a 'strong economy' or policies conducive to a strong economy.
Strange how definitions wander to suite the narrative.

Back
Top Bottom