• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

We have nothing to fear but fear itself.

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
So, let's fan the flames of fear, claim impending doom, and see if that will get the base fired up.

[h=1]Trump's prediction of 'massive recession' puzzles economists[/h]
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Donald Trump's prediction that the U.S. economy was on the verge of a "very massive recession" hit a wall of skepticism on Sunday from economists who questioned the Republican presidential front-runner's calculations.

OK, Trumpeteers, time to either (1) claim that Trump didn't actually say a massive recession was coming, or (2) claim that he is right and the economists are wrong, or (3) quote a Democrat who made a claim that turned out to be false.

You must protect your leader, you know.

So, let's fan the flames of fear, claim impending doom, and see if that will get the base fired up.

Trump's prediction of 'massive recession' puzzles economists

OK, Trumpeteers, time to either (1) claim that Trump didn't actually say a massive recession was coming, or (2) claim that he is right and the economists are wrong, or (3) quote a Democrat who made a claim that turned out to be false.

You must protect your leader, you know.

Trump knows better than the economists.

Example:
Mr Trump pointed out that he could negotiate $350 Billion in savings from Medicare Prescription Drugs.
So-called "Economists" claimed that this was impossible because that program only cost $78 Billion to begin with.
Mr Trump proved them wrong by pointing out that he was going to do it.​
QED.

Basically, economists, scientists, mathematicians, and actual reality are all engaged in a giant conspiracy against Mr Trump because that's how desperate the Establishment is that someone is going to challenge their power and money by leaving things exactly the way that they are, except with himself at the top of it.

Trump knows better than the economists.

Example:
Mr Trump pointed out that he could negotiate $350 Billion in savings from Medicare Prescription Drugs.
So-called "Economists" claimed that this was impossible because that program only cost $78 Billion to begin with.
Mr Trump proved them wrong by pointing out that he was going to do it.​
QED.

Basically, economists, scientists, mathematicians, and actual reality are all engaged in a giant conspiracy against Mr Trump because that's how desperate the Establishment is that someone is going to challenge their power and money by leaving things exactly the way that they are, except with himself at the top of it.

I almost missed the obvious sarcasm in that one. I must still be sleepy this morning.

I almost missed the obvious sarcasm in that one. I must still be sleepy this morning.

One of the problems with trying to parody Trump's arguments, and the arguments of his supporters, is that they will do their best to match you.

While not a Trumpeteer, the economist (I only see one referenced, and one I've never heard of) is wrong. Our economy is extremely vulnerable because the underlying problems are still there, chief among them being depressed wages and rising private sector debt (our student loan debt alone is a kryptonite necklace). Until people are more economically secure, the economy will be vulnerable, and the business cycle didn't stop just because Obama waved his hands and made it so. No, there most certainly is a recession coming; based on history, it could well be worse than the last. There's nothing to indicate what may trigger it, so we don't know when it's coming, but it would not be surprising to happen within the next presidency.

Of course, the ironic point on this is that Trump would probably make us more vulnerable, not less.

Back
Top Bottom