• Please keep all posts on the Rittenhouse verdict here: Rittenhouse Verdict. Note the moderator warnings in the thread. The thread will be heavily moderated with a zero tolerance policy for any baiting, flaming, trolling or other rule breaks. Stick to the topic and not the other posters. Thank you.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We have met the enemy,... and it is us

14%20Pogo%20Earth%20Day%201970%20A_0.jpeg

Don't shoot the messenger,... BUT not much has changed since the first earth day poster (in 1970) illustrated an inconvenient truth about human nature!

Basically until people on the left and right side of the political spectrum realize that we ourselves are the enemy,... humanity will continue to die a slow painful death caused by a thousand cuts!

https://airandspace.si.edu/stories/editorial/earth-day-story-us

4x6-PC-the-simple-truth-about-protest-movements.png

Given human nature, few are brave enough to face head on a problem that is technically complicated,... thus has an uncertain future of deleterious effects,... which somehow will have to be mitigated w/ infrastructure that somehow has to be paid for (with a price tag that will impact everyones comfort and lifestyles).

Consider,... even if humanity in general was magically able to grasp the basic science of man made climate change (which is,... the combustion of various hydrocarbon fuels like: coal, methane, gasoline, diesel, etc.... creates CO2 a greenhouse gas that traps infrared energy the earth's atmosphere for a very long time),...

https://debatepolitics.com/threads/...th-agw-alarmism-today.462171/#post-1074733617

...the human nature problem is,… looking at what is creating the excess CO2 (that the planet cannot absorb) we see it's the so called "american dream" (i.e. a fancy house w/ all kinds of creature comforts, an SUV for personal transportation, copious daily amounts of animal protein at every meal AND an annual vacation in an exotic location - which requires an airline flight)

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/02/160224132923.htm

Point being aspirational personal consumption expectations are ingrained in consumers (not just in the USA but also all around the world),... so it is and continues to be an uphill battle to educate people about the big picture science (which is the first step toward solving the problem).

www.ThereIsNoPlanet-B.org

Said another way,... "simplistic" one dimensional solutions,... like the idea that, getting rid of capitalism is going to "magically" solve the problem of climate change,... won't change change a thing (AND only digs the hole we are in deeper).

https://www.salon.com/2021/10/09/solving-the-climate-requires-the-end-of-capitalism/

Fact is the capitalistic system which allows incentives for people,... will be needed to develop and build public infrastructure to adapt and correct for man made climate change.

Consider the alternative,... a system lacking economic incentives for people,... IOW cuba, venezuela, and the former USSR,... seems these economic/political systems are in greater turmoil than capitalistic systems (i.e. the USA, western europe, japan and "capitalistic" china),... bottom line if there are no economic incentives to address man made climate, what is going to nudge people to develop goods and services to fix the issue???

Last edited:

Germinator

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
You don't have rigorous experiments = you don't have science = you don't draw conclusions and don't invent answers

The only thing you can say is "we don't know". Trying to make a case that we should use the precautionary principle might be OK as long as you don't try to fool the public that science is involved(which is what the whole "scientific consensus" really is - fooling the public that there is science when there's no science)

just a simple guess but I'd bet good money that you like many man made climate change skeptics have no formal training in physics or math or chemistry,... so what kind of expertise do you have that enables you to assess the risk???

FYI not all "science" is physical experiments,... in quantium physics (for example) there is schrodinger's wave equation which is a linear partial differential equation that governs the wave function of a quantum-mechanical system,... said another way schrodinger's wave equation is a way to calculate odds

thought I'd point out "odds" because at university (while studying physics) I came across a branch of math called "game theory"

anyway looking at all the basic science as it relates to "man made" climate change,... IMHO given the present trends it is not a matter of "if" but "when" humanity reached a fatal tipping point (that only will be recognized in hind sight)

said another way the odds do not look good for humanity if people do not realize the game being played has fatal consequences,...

4x6-PC-Increasing-CO2-its-just-a-game.png

Germinator

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
it's cyber Monday and I have a first world problem,... basically I have everything I "need" and the one thing I "want" a 64 Gb MacMini m1 max w/ 32 GPU "units" and a 2 Tb SSD,... isn't for sale (yet) by apple

I could easily afford the 16" 64Gb MacBookPro m1 max w/ 32 GPU "units" and a 2 Tb SSD,... BUT for the xPlane flight simulator setup I "want" to build it requires a small form factor computer

sigh,... the reason I mention holiday season sales is because seems people have lost sight of why there is a holiday season in the first place,... xmas is the "birthday" of Jesus

if Jesus were to walk though a mall (or even a church) I have a feeing he would not be recognized or appreciated because he would remind people that there should be more to life than "shopping"

2021-catholic-BND-01.png

2021-catholic-BND-02.png

I'm not against capitalism or going shopping,... but one thing too few people think about is,... there is a big difference between "wants" and "needs"

thought I'd point this out because seems too many people only worship at the alter of money and material goods,...

AND FWIW consumers have a very big impact on the environment

Top Bottom