• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We don't like government in our private lives so why our boss?

James D Hill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Both liberals and conservatives are outraged at government wiretapping. It violates our privacy and civil liberties I agree so why do we put up with it from our boss? When your boss drug test you, Does a background check or a credit check that is your personal business and not your boss's. Why is that so hard for some of you to accept? If you are a criminal or a sex offender then I would support it in some cases but drug testing does not prove you are high or not and having bad credit does not mean you are a bad person. In the bad economy over the last 7 years lots of good people have bad credit and lots of good people do drugs. Lets get our boss out of our private lives just like the government.

I have a greater degree of choice about my boss than I do about my govt.
I enter into a conscious agreement to have those things examined.
W/ the govt, they just do it w/o even asking.
imho, that's a significant difference.

I have a greater degree of choice about my boss than I do about my govt.
I enter into a conscious agreement to have those things examined.
W/ the govt, they just do it w/o even asking.
imho, that's a significant difference.

It is none of your boss's business any more than the government and you need a job.

It is none of your boss's business any more than the government and you need a job.
And people who feel that way don't need to work for a company like that. :shrug:
Problem solved.

You don't have to submit to any requests of a perspective employer. You can simply leave. You may not get the job though.

From the employer's perspective a lot of these things go to character. I know, I know, what people do in their personal lives is their business. Just for the record I do not drug test my employees. I just don't care what they do after hours as long as they are sober on the job. It would, however, save me 12% on my worker's comp.

But like this idiot running for mayor of NYC; it goes to character. Yeah yeah, it's his personal life, doesn't affect his job performance, yada yada. Except it does. I had a guy who came in to interview for a job as a mechanic. Nice guy, talked a good game, sounded like he knew what he was doing. He was 53. Seemed like he'd be a good fit. But then he went on to talk about never being able to retire because his 23 year old girlfriend was pregnant, on top of that she was going in to rehab... again. I did not hire him. See, the details of his personal life indicated that he makes poor personal decisions. As the owner of the business, I have spent years and risked literally everything to get this thing off the ground. I would be depending on him to do work according to my standards, often in my absence. Given his previous poor decisions I doubted his ability to do that. And as the guy assuming all the risk, that is my right. If you don't want to answer questions or provide information about your personal life to a perspective employer, don't. Feel free to do what they did. Go out and risk everything and start your own business. I doubt your perspective will be the same when you are putting your trust into someone who will not answer your questions.

Both liberals and conservatives are outraged at government wiretapping. It violates our privacy and civil liberties I agree so why do we put up with it from our boss? When your boss drug test you, Does a background check or a credit check that is your personal business and not your boss's. Why is that so hard for some of you to accept? If you are a criminal or a sex offender then I would support it in some cases but drug testing does not prove you are high or not and having bad credit does not mean you are a bad person. In the bad economy over the last 7 years lots of good people have bad credit and lots of good people do drugs. Lets get our boss out of our private lives just like the government.

I'm actually all in favor of keeping people who didn't do a damn thing to help me create my business from sticking their noses into how I run my business.
But we can't always get what we want,now do we?
If you are a customer you have a right to know what I put in my dishes (in case you have certain allergies),you do not automatically get to know my hiring practices.

Running background checks,drug testing, (which I require of all my employees),and credit checks (which I don't require) are not against the law.
If a job applicant does not like the fact that I run background checks and do drug tests,that is their right. They don't have to apply for a job at my establishments and I'm not required to hire that person.
As a matter of fact,I have 2 file cabinet drawers filled with job applicants who don't have a problem with it.

I CHOOSE who I engage in business relations with. Those relations come with certain inconveniences and requirements. I have no issue with those requirements, and in my job they include.....

Random drug/alcohol testing
Drivers License and Safe Driving Requirements
Yearly CORI checks
Background Checks at hiring

These can lead to dismissal or lack of hiring.

Okay, Hill...do you now understand the difference between the government getting all in your business and a prospective employer doing the same?

If not...think of it this way: The prospective employer is someone who I might want to work for. The government is not. In fact, the government is supposed to work for me. The government doesn't have the right to get all in my business.

Your boss wants a reliable employee, he needs to look into your private life to an extent, you don't want some guy with 10 DUIs driving a truck...

I agree that your work and private life are separate, I wish employers wouldn't check your social media before they consider you and what not, many people are entirely different in and out or work, there is a degree of prejudice when you deny employees based on there personal life.

But you can't force employers to do look past it. Comparing this to the Gov't is apples to oranges

Only if one has an uncontrolled drug habit as you do.

Don't like the rules?

Suck it up and don't work.

Then you will have time for more yoking.

Stoners Unite!

Bongs rule and rules drool!

If you don't like your boss, you have easy means to get rid of him.

a) take it with the management.
b) quit.

You can't say no to the government and the only input you have is by either

a) protesting
b) voting.

And without large numbers of like-minded people, both those methods have no impact. As opposed to when discussing within a private company where you alone can make all the difference in the world.

And people who feel that way don't need to work for a company like that. :shrug:
Problem solved.

With all due respect that is a stupid argument. You just can't change jobs like your cloths. You become dependant on the pay you are getting. Drug testing does not prove you are high on the job or not and what you do in your own time is none of your employers business any more than what kind of scotch he drinks. Job performance is all that should count to an employer not morality umless that immorality hurts job performance.

You don't have to submit to any requests of a perspective employer. You can simply leave. You may not get the job though.

From the employer's perspective a lot of these things go to character. I know, I know, what people do in their personal lives is their business. Just for the record I do not drug test my employees. I just don't care what they do after hours as long as they are sober on the job. It would, however, save me 12% on my worker's comp.

But like this idiot running for mayor of NYC; it goes to character. Yeah yeah, it's his personal life, doesn't affect his job performance, yada yada. Except it does. I had a guy who came in to interview for a job as a mechanic. Nice guy, talked a good game, sounded like he knew what he was doing. He was 53. Seemed like he'd be a good fit. But then he went on to talk about never being able to retire because his 23 year old girlfriend was pregnant, on top of that she was going in to rehab... again. I did not hire him. See, the details of his personal life indicated that he makes poor personal decisions. As the owner of the business, I have spent years and risked literally everything to get this thing off the ground. I would be depending on him to do work according to my standards, often in my absence. Given his previous poor decisions I doubted his ability to do that. And as the guy assuming all the risk, that is my right. If you don't want to answer questions or provide information about your personal life to a perspective employer, don't. Feel free to do what they did. Go out and risk everything and start your own business. I doubt your perspective will be the same when you are putting your trust into someone who will not answer your questions.

How does taking a pic of your wang effect your job performance? Bill Clinton did an outstanding job and his sex scandal was a private matter that the hypocrotes like Newt tried to blow out of proportion. Who cares what drug ones uses or how many chicks a guy has sex with as long as he/she comes to work and does their job. That is all a boss should be concerned with. After all with all the corruption in American business who are they to judge morality?

If you don't like your boss, you have easy means to get rid of him.

a) take it with the management.
b) quit.

You can't say no to the government and the only input you have is by either

a) protesting
b) voting.

And without large numbers of like-minded people, both those methods have no impact. As opposed to when discussing within a private company where you alone can make all the difference in the world.

When you have house or car payments you just can't quit a job my friend. You are stuck there and even if you leave there it is no sure thing you can get the same pay. Your boss has you by the nad's and he/her should not be able to screw you over just because they do not like your sexual lifestyle of what intoxicant you like. Job performance is all a boss should be worried about. The rest is none of their business.

Only if one has an uncontrolled drug habit as you do.

Don't like the rules?

Suck it up and don't work.

Then you will have time for more yoking.

Stoners Unite!

Bongs rule and rules drool!

Join us.

I was gonna comment on this, but sounds like you all got it covered ;)

It's patently hypocritical to be concerned about someone's MJ smoking, while not giving two ****s about whether they drink a 5th of Jack Daniels every weekend.

It's patently hypocritical to be concerned about someone's MJ smoking, while not giving two ****s about whether they drink a 5th of Jack Daniels every weekend.

Bingo. How can drinkers and somers who are often the boss say that MJ smokers are not fit to work? Job performance is all that should mattter. After all business is not known for perfect morality so who are they to judge others morality. I think the drug testing companies have paid off insurance companies and spread false propaganda to justify drug testing. This nation was built on drinking,drugging and wild sex. What is good for the founding fathers is good enough for me.

Bingo. How can drinkers and somers who are often the boss say that MJ smokers are not fit to work? Job performance is all that should mattter. After all business is not known for perfect morality so who are they to judge others morality. I think the drug testing companies have paid off insurance companies and spread false propaganda to justify drug testing. This nation was built on drinking,drugging and wild sex. What is good for the founding fathers is good enough for me.

Drugs are illegal alchohol is not? :shrug:

So is speeding, but most employers don't look into your driving record unless the job actually requires driving. Employers are not in the business of enforcing law, so the legality aspect is just cherry picking what criminal activity they chose to be disturbed by, and what they don't care about. It's still hypocritical.

That does not matter. That is a very stupid agrgument with all due respect. It is not the place of the boss to inforce laws. That is the job of the police and by the way pot is legal where I live. Just because something is legal of illegal does not make it right or wrong. It used to be legal to beat your wife. Did that make it right? It used to be legal to discriminate against blacks. Did that make it right. That law and order argument you conservatives love to make is just plain stupid my friend. You are better than that.

So is speeding, but most employers don't look into your driving record unless the job actually requires driving. Employers are not in the business of enforcing law, so the legality aspect is just cherry picking what criminal activity they chose to be disturbed by, and what they don't care about. It's still hypocritical.

Conservatives love that law and order thing. It is a bad argument.

That does not matter. That is a very stupid agrgument with all due respect. It is not the place of the boss to inforce laws. That is the job of the police and by the way pot is legal where I live. Just because something is legal of illegal does not make it right or wrong. It used to be legal to beat your wife. Did that make it right? It used to be legal to discriminate against blacks. Did that make it right. That law and order argument you conservatives love to make is just plain stupid my friend. You are better than that.

My job is to protect myself, my partners, and our business. If you don't like the terms of employment, you would be free to seek employment elsewhere...

My job is to protect myself, my partners, and our business. If you don't like the terms of employment, you would be free to seek employment elsewhere...

That ship does not float. It is hypocritical for a drinker to tell a pot smoker he/she is not good enough to work. What are you protecting against? Do you really believe the propaganda spread by the drug testing companies? I thought you where smarter that that AP. As long as the person can do the job who cares what they do in their own time. That is the way this country was ran intil 1986 and it did just fine. If the person is a bonehead fire them. Who cares why.

That ship does not float. It is hypocritical for a drinker to tell a pot smoker he/she is not good enough to work. What are you protecting against? Do you really believe the propaganda spread by the drug testing companies? I thought you where smarter that that AP. As long as the person can do the job who cares what they do in their own time. That is the way this country was ran intil 1986 and it did just fine. If the person is a bonehead fire them. Who cares why.

We are a company that is required to maintain certain standards of our employees by our customers, and we'll continue to do so. If I were you, I'd refrain from references that might question a poster's intelligence....

Back
Top Bottom