• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We cant save Americans in Benghazi, but.........

CRUE CAB

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
we can work hard to save people in Syria at the cost of millions to the US taxpayer.
We cant even find the guys that killed our ambassador, but we can spend millions to change the whole regime of another country. For what?
I can garrantee we will kill more than 1400 innocents by the time we finish bombing.

You are using an apples to cinderblocks analogy here. One is planning a military action in advance, not involving U.S. personnel under attack, and the other is reacting to the attack of U.S. personnel - other than both actions being conducted in a foreign land there is not much parallel here.

You are using an apples to cinderblocks analogy here. One is planning a military action in advance, not involving U.S. personnel under attack, and the other is reacting to the attack of U.S. personnel - other than both actions being conducted in a foreign land there is not much parallel here.
My point is we can do one, but not the other. I call BS.

My point is we can do one, but not the other. I call BS.

I may want to ride a motorcycle but not want to play piano. Obama wants to do one and does not want to do the other, since they are not related to each other. The main point may be that by doing one pressure for doing the other may be diminished. ;)

It may seem counterintuitive, but the one time I think we should intervene militarily in the internal affairs of a sovereign state is when one of our embassies is under attack and that government does nothing to protect it.

Under international law an embassy is the sovereign soil of the nation inhabiting it. That means any attack on it is an attack on that nation. People who try that on one of ours need to know we will not tolerate it, ever. So I have no problem sending in Marines or Rangers to defend our embassies. No more Iranian Hostage Crisis for us!

Last edited:
I may want to ride a motorcycle but not want to play piano. Obama wants to do one and does not want to do the other, since they are not related to each other. The main point may be that by doing one pressure for doing the other may be diminished. ;)

Our people were in a firefight they had no chance of winning without help. And we didnt lift a finger.
The Syrian Rebels are in a fight they are getting gassed in.
But we are going to expend millions or more in helping them. Instead of doing what we do to everyone else with economic sanctions.
There should be nothing that we wouldnt do to save an American life. Or at least try that is in trouble.
But we will further break the bank to help people that we have no idea what their politics will be if we help them get in charge of the country.
Makes me sick.

It may seem counterintuitive, but the one time I think we should intervene militarily in the internal affairs of a sovereign state is when one of our embassies is under attack and that government does nothing to protect it.

Under international law an embassy is the sovereign soil of the nation inhabiting it. That means any attack on it is an attack on that nation. People who try that on one of ours need to know we will not tolerate it, ever. So I have no problem sending in Marines or Rangers to defend our embassies. No more Iranian Hostage Crisis for us!
Oh, but the hair splitters will say it really wasnt an embassy. It was a temporary consulate, and we had paid for security from locals.
You will get nothing but double talk on Benghazi.

I agree. I thought we should have dropped leaflets that said "in 24 hrs we drop bombs. if you want to survive, leave" and then bombed Benghazi into smoking piles of rubble.
Then publicly said that "the next nation who attacks one of our embassies will receive the same".

THAT would be a more effective deterrent than chattering meaningless threats and drawing meaningless red lines.

Syria, like Egypt or Libya, will not likely magically and peacefully transform into having a secular, democratic form of gov't simply because the current tyrant in charge is ousted. At best it is a roll of the dice to see if ousting Assad will make things get much better in Syria without considerable, long term (i.e. very expensive) U.S. involvement. The limitted, military raid, that Obama seems to want, amounts to poking a hole in the hornet's nest.

Syria, like Egypt or Libya, will not likely magically and peacefully transform into having a secular, democratic form of gov't simply because the current tyrant in charge is ousted. At best it is a roll of the dice to see if ousting Assad will make things get much better in Syria without considerable, long term (i.e. very expensive) U.S. involvement. The limitted, military raid, that Obama seems to want, amounts to poking a hole in the hornet's nest.

You already know I see no reason to intervene in Syria. They haven't done anything to us and so it's none of our business.

When I spoke about embassies I didn't mean automatically declaring war, I simply meant air assaulting troops into the compound and putting a major hurting on whoever doesn't get the hell off of our embassy soil. If they take hostages we go after them and get them back into the embassy by any means necessary. At that point, if necessary we close the embassy and depart the country.

They are two entirely different things the attack on Benghazi is a one-time event that lasted less than 24 hours meanwhile Syria has been going on for awhile and they are planning a military strike not a heat of the moment rescue operation.

They are two entirely different things the attack on Benghazi is a one-time event that lasted less than 24 hours meanwhile Syria has been going on for awhile and they are planning a military strike not a heat of the moment rescue operation.

Yes..we know the timeline.
The point is we couldn't be moved to save americans attacked on internationally recognized sovereign ground of an embassy that was attacked by terrorists, but we can violate a sovereign nation and attack because we want to prop up one group of terrorists fighting another group of terrorists.

we can work hard to save people in Syria at the cost of millions to the US taxpayer.
We cant even find the guys that killed our ambassador, but we can spend millions to change the whole regime of another country. For what?
I can garrantee we will kill more than 1400 innocents by the time we finish bombing.

That's is surely possibly but, if the Regime (ours) keeps telegraphing when, where and how we are going to do the deed, chances are no one will 'really' get killed or injured. ;););)

That's is surely possibly but, if the Regime (ours) keeps telegraphing when, where and how we are going to do the deed, chances are no one will 'really' get killed or injured. ;););)

No, but I can garrantee you the web will be flooded with pics supposedly of dead women and children.

I can't agree with you more, only four Americans were killed in an attack on a designated American Consulate, which has now been called a 'Phony Scandal' by our president. Notwithstanding our now response to the President voting 'Present' shall we now bomb a country that has violated Geneva Convention Accords, while ignoring the "Phony Benghazi Scandal".
How can our bombing of Syria guarantee that this won't escalate any further? I'm suspicious of this action.

Back
Top Bottom