• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'We Can Win': Elizabeth Warren Outlines 2020 Presidential Bid

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

In a highly produced
4 1/2 minute video emailed to supporters on New Year's Eve, Warren made a populist political appeal, recounting her own middle class background and her work on consumer financial protections.

Warren insisted the middle class is "under attack" from corporations and the right, including President Trump, who she vowed can be defeated in 2020.

The middle class has been under attack for some time now.

"We can win," meaning Democrats. Can Warren defeat him? What do you think?

We are a long way out and otoh closer than one thinks. EW doesn’t instill confidence in me. The DNA debacle is still fresh. Maybe she was thinking that she could take the wind out of Trump’s attacks on her by “getting out in front” of the heritage issue. I don’t think it worked.......

The DNA debacle is still fresh. Maybe she was thinking that she could take the wind out of Trump’s attacks on her by “getting out in front” of the heritage issue. I don’t think it worked.......

Her claim was scientifically proven 100% correct. She claimed a grandmother about 5 generations ago. That's exactly what the test says.

Do you think she's the best person for the job?

We are a long way out and otoh closer than one thinks. EW doesn’t instill confidence in me. The DNA debacle is still fresh. Maybe she was thinking that she could take the wind out of Trump’s attacks on her by “getting out in front” of the heritage issue. I don’t think it worked.......

Yeah, the DNA thing is only one piece of “baggage” but I would rather not take the chance if it can be helped. I think she can beat Trump, but I’m not super confident of that.

I'm not confident she has the right temperament for dealing with a chaos monster like Trump. However, if she were to go into a Rocky-style training montage in which she learns political kung fu, then she could be a good candidate.

Yeah, the DNA thing is only one piece of “baggage” but I would rather not take the chance if it can be helped. I think she can beat Trump, but I’m not super confident of that.

How is that baggage?

Trump attacked someone's claim of heritage. Science proved her claim 100% correct. And it's on her? Why isn't it on the guy that falsely attacked someone's claim to heritage and was proven 100% wrong in that attack?

I have a mountain of respect for EW but she just isn't presidential material. Although, I do feel she would be MUCH better than Comrade Trump, we would just be replacing one kook with another.

America needs a sensible, pragmatic, intelligent person in the oval office, be they democrat or republican. America needs to restore some integrity back in to the oval office. This side show "carnival barker" styled leadership, steeped in lies and bad-character, is a stain on us all. There are republicans AND democrats able to fulfill that role. EW might have the honesty and integrity part down but she is just too leftist to unify the country. This country needs unification more than anything right now.

The DNA issue is minor (though the Repubs admittedly will do their utmost to inflate it), but more concerning is that her stock has fallen among progressives since 2016 due to her silence on Massachusetts during the Dem nomination, and the fact that establishment Dems have never really liked her given her conflicts with their megadonors over the years; then top that all off with a relative lack of charisma. I wouldn't say she's actively anti-charismatic/repulsing in the way Hillary was, and I like her well enough, but I wouldn't call her inspiring, and that's something any successful Dem nominee will absolutely need to be going into the general.

How is that baggage?

Trump attacked someone's claim of heritage. Science proved her claim 100% correct. And it's on her? Why isn't it on the guy that falsely attacked someone's claim to heritage and was proven 100% wrong in that attack?

Hey, he also smeared and lied about Obama's heritage too. But he still got elected.

How is that baggage?

Because Trump isn’t affected by things that affect normal candidates.

Her claim was scientifically proven 100% correct. She claimed a grandmother about 5 generations ago. That's exactly what the test says.

Regardless of the outcome, I don’t think she helped herself.......

Because Trump isn’t affected by things that affect normal candidates.

That’s up for understatement of 2018, if it holds up for another 10 1/2 hours!

Regardless of the outcome, I don’t think she helped herself.......

Let's say you're Irish. Someone claims you're not. You prove your claim 100% accurate.

That hurts you? How?

I think there's a decent chance Warren and several others could defeat him, though I don't think anything is a foregone conclusion anymore.

I really have grown tired though of the anti-corporate rich-vs.-middle class victim-rhetoric the Democrats chant as the core of their platform.

Evil insurance companies deny patients life saving coverage.
Evil big banks rip off customers.
Oil companies destroy this planet.

"The whole scam is propped up by an echo chamber of fear and hate."

As the video goes on, she just sounds more and more like a divisive propagandist, yammering on about the dark billionaire conspiracies to enslave the country. Victim vs. oppressor. Rich vs. poor. I'm really sick of this Marxist sh**.

It's so repetitive and so inherently divisive and populist in nature, and I think after four years of Trump we could use a healthy dose of calm intellectualism and centrism.

Last edited:
I think just about anyone is capable of beating Trump. That is, if he even makes it to the end of his term before he gets bounced out.

I'm not confident she has the right temperament for dealing with a chaos monster like Trump. However, if she were to go into a Rocky-style training montage in which she learns political kung fu, then she could be a good candidate.

You see Ojeda announced as well? If we could just find a candidate halfway between Warren and Ojeda, I think we would have found the Democratic singularity.

Let's say you're Irish. Someone claims you're not. You prove your claim 100% accurate.

That hurts you? How?

Warren is punching over her weight class, here. Trump will run over her and it won’t be pretty, imo.
It’s not about her heritage anymore, again, imo.

I think just about anyone is capable of beating Trump. That is, if he even makes it to the end of his term before he gets bounced out.

although, I do agree Trump could be forced to resign amid damning evidence against him..

I do think you underestimate the conservative voting block.

Warren is punching over her weight class, here. Trump will run over her and it won’t be pretty, imo.
It’s not about her heritage anymore, again, imo.

Well, thankfully she has to make it out of the primary 1st.

Still pretty sure Hillary would lose to him again (although she may be able to squeeze a win out, I don't know). Now SHE has baggage.

You see Ojeda announced as well? If we could just find a candidate halfway between Warren and Ojeda, I think we would have found the Democratic singularity.

TBH, despite being a progressive, I would vote for Ojeda before Warren because the man absolutely has what it takes to win, nevermind that he's honest, integral and is with me on enough issues to make him acceptable from a policy standpoint.

I badly want to see Ojeda go up against Trump in a debate; in fact, I would pay to see it; this real war hero would absolutely mop the floor with Commander Bonespurs.

I know literally nothing about Ojeda.

TBH, despite being a progressive, I would vote for Ojeda before Warren because the man absolutely has what it takes to win, nevermind that he's honest, integral and is with me on enough issues to make him acceptable from a policy standpoint.

I'll have to see who is in the race and what the debates look like. But, as of now, I'm still with Bernie. If Bernie doesn't run, Ojeda 2020 all the way!

Back
Top Bottom