• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We Are Not a Nation of Immigrants

phattonez

Catholic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity , do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Our posterity sure sounds very different than the rootless people that our elite want us to think Americans are.

No, we are certainly not a nation of immigrants. We were never set up as such a thing. Anyone espousing this platitude is either misinformed or a liar.

Sent from my HTC phone. Instaurare omnia in Christo.

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity , do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Our posterity sure sounds very different than the rootless people that our elite want us to think Americans are.

No, we are certainly not a nation of immigrants. We were never set up as such a thing. Anyone espousing this platitude is either misinformed or a liar.

If the founders any of them did not believe that America is run by and for Americans, did not believe that we get to decide who we let in, however we want to...I would sure like to see it.

Were all you forebears present in the US prior to 1787?

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

We are not free if we dont get to decide for ourselves who we let in.

So lets converse and decide.

Without threats please.

Or name calling.

CIVILITY!

We are not free if we dont get to decide for ourselves who we let in.

So lets converse and decide.

Without threats please.

Or name calling.

CIVILITY!

Two questions: who exactly is 'we' you speak of? And who is deciding if not 'we'?

We are a nation of immigrants, its what makes us strong. First, it was the Spanish, who wiped out the native empires in FL, CA, Mexico, and South America. Then it was Columbus, who wiped out the natives of the islands around FL. Then it was puritan seeking religious asylum, who wiped out the natives in SC, VA, and NY.

Two questions: who exactly is 'we' you speak of? And who is deciding if not 'we'?

We is we Americans, and the argument from some is that we dont have the right to tell anyone no, so then the ones who decide are all not Americans.

Not Americans get to decide who comes to America some people say.

I say **** that noise.

Um, Native Americans have lived on this continent for the past 11,000+ years

Americans of European and African descent have lived here for only about the past 400.

Americans of European and African descent have lived here for only about the past 400.

Did you perhaps have a point at some point?

My point is that,contrary to the OP's claim, we ARE largely a nation of immigrants, or comparatively recent descendants of immigrants.

The migration of DNA on its own does not make an immigrant....so no.

Immigrants are beings, if the being did not migrate then they are no immigrant and cant be fairly counted as such.

Yes we are. Virtually every white or black person in America has an immigrant closely above them in their family tree.

I do not for one second believe all branches of your ancestry were here prior to 1776.

Except for Native Americans we are entirely a nation of immigrants or slave labor. We are and were Immigrants, dissidents, heretics, European outcastes,...you name it. We were in many cases fleeing ostracism, imprisonment and death be it religious, social or economic in nature. Gee does that not sound familiar. The only dif is our date of arrival here. We only became this beacon to the world in the early to mid-20th Century. That is a fairly new aspect to immigration to this country and has always been less significant than sheer survival.

Thanks for playing!

The migration of DNA on its own does not make an immigrant....so no.

Immigrants are beings, if the being did not migrate then they are no immigrant and cant be fairly counted as such.

DNA helps identify whose ancestors are recent immigrants versus those whose ancestors have lived here for millennia.

DNA helps identify whose ancestors are recent immigrants versus those whose ancestors have lived here for millennia.

Why should I care?

I say that a person is either an American or they are not...THAT is the difference that matters when it comes to deciding who we let over the borders.....and those who are not American only get over the border if we allow them the right paperwork...and we decide who to say yes to.

Why should I care?

I say that a person is either an American or they are not...THAT is the difference that matters when it comes to deciding who we let over the borders.....and those who are not American only get over the border if we allow them the right paperwork...and we decide who to say yes to.

My understanding of the "caravan"is that they are largely fleeing rampant crime, violence,corruption and persecution. The reason they're in a "caravan" at all is because it lessens their chances of being mugged, robbed or worse. Ethically, I can't defend not letting them have their chance at claiming asylum and undergoing due process to become permanent residents,and eventually citizens.

Technically everyone in the whole world except Africa are "immigrants" in that humankind originally started spreading out from Africa. Oldest known fossil originated in Malawi in Africa is some 2 million years old. Does that mean that every country except those in Africa should allow unfettered immigration?

Only the strong survive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technically everyone in the whole world except Africa are "immigrants" in that humankind originally started spreading out from Africa. Oldest known fossil originated in Malawi in Africa is some 2 million years old. Does that mean that every country except those in Africa should allow unfettered immigration?

Fair point, we're ALL immigrants in some sense. So really, you undermine the OP's argument as well.

Of course I'm not for unfettered immigration. But I think we have to approach the topic ethically. Do we turn those in need away without allowing them to plead their case?

What a load of hogwash, given that our forefathers were all immigrants.

The Founding Fathers of the United States led the American Revolution against the Kingdom of Great Britain. Most were descendants of colonists settled in the Thirteen Colonies in North America.

Impartial observers agree that the United States of America is a land of immigrants.

Most of those immigrants have been from Europe.

Today most of our new immigrants are from other parts of the world.

Some people (such as President Trump) feel that it is more beneficial to our country's welfare if immigrants come here from, say, Norway rather than from "certain" other countries.

Some people disagree. They feel that the United States of America can continue to be a leading nation even if most immigrants now come from "certain" other countries.

One thing is for sure: The current ethnic majority is continuing to shrink and will lose that position by 2050.

Some people are very much distressed by this distinct possibility; some people are thrilled and energized by it.

Last edited:

Where did your ancestors come from before your family lived in the USA?

Back
Top Bottom