• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We Are Not a Nation of Immigrants

Were all you forebears present in the US prior to 1787?
Oh look, you can't formulate an argument so you try straight for a personal attack. Sorry, that's not an argument.

Sent from my HTC phone. Instaurare omnia in Christo.

SIAP. We are a nation of immigrants that turned into a melting pot.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
This is a poem that was written more than 100 years after this country was founded and placed on a monument originally built to celebrate the North winning the Civil War.

Two questions: who exactly is 'we' you speak of? And who is deciding if not 'we'?
We are those Americans who never supported population replacement levels of immigration. Politicians had to lie to get the 1965 immigration act passed.

We are a nation of immigrants, its what makes us strong. First, it was the Spanish, who wiped out the native empires in FL, CA, Mexico, and South America. Then it was Columbus, who wiped out the natives of the islands around FL. Then it was puritan seeking religious asylum, who wiped out the natives in SC, VA, and NY.
You stating that doesn't make it so. Which founding father said that this was to be a nation of immigrants? Why would they write instead that this nation was for themselves and their posterity?

Um, Native Americans have lived on this continent for the past 11,000+ years

Americans of European and African descent have lived here for only about the past 400.
Native Americans founded the United States?

Yes we are. Virtually every white or black person in America has an immigrant closely above them in their family tree.

I do not for one second believe all branches of your ancestry were here prior to 1776.
As I stated to another, personal attacks are not an argument. This country was never founded as a nation of immigrants. Far, far from it. You know that, so you're certainly not misinformed when you spout this nonsense.

Except for Native Americans we are entirely a nation of immigrants or slave labor. We are and were Immigrants, dissidents, heretics, European outcastes,...you name it. We were in many cases fleeing ostracism, imprisonment and death be it religious, social or economic in nature. Gee does that not sound familiar. The only dif is our date of arrival here. We only became this beacon to the world in the early to mid-20th Century. That is a fairly new aspect to immigration to this country and has always been less significant than sheer survival.

Thanks for playing!
Which founding father stated that this was to be a nation of immigrants? Do you have any quotes for evidence?

Native Americans founded the United States?

Yes. They had a different name for it, of course, but yes, they did.

Did they really not cover that where you went to school?

As I stated to another, personal attacks are not an argument. This country was never founded as a nation of immigrants. Far, far from it. You know that, so you're certainly not misinformed when you spout this nonsense.

Saying that I don't believe all branches of your ancestry were in the US prior to 1776 is a personal attack? Are you that much of a delicate snowflake?

Impartial observers agree that the United States of America is a land of immigrants.

Most of those immigrants have been from Europe.

Today most of our new immigrants are from other parts of the world.

Some people (such as President Trump) feel that it is more beneficial to our country's welfare if immigrants come here from, say, Norway rather than from "certain" other countries.

Some people disagree. They feel that the United States of America can continue to be a leading nation even if most immigrants now come from "certain" other countries.

One thing is for sure: The current ethnic majority is continuing to shrink and will lose that position by 2050.

Some people are very much distressed by this distinct possibility; some people are thrilled and energized by it.
We're talking about what this country was founded as. It was never meant to be a nation of immigrants.

Well you kinda made a straw man out of that. I think we're ethically obligated to help them as best we can. And I don't think we need to turn ethics vs reason into a false dichotomy. Rather we use reason to decide what is ethical and what is not.

In this specific instance, we're the richest, most powerful nation on earth. We have over 300 million people.We easily have the resources to process the asylum claims of a few thousand central American refugees.
We already let in 1 million immigrants per year, unknown numbers of illegal immigrants, and give billions in foreign aid. This idea that we aren't charitable is hogwash.

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity , do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Our posterity sure sounds very different than the rootless people that our elite want us to think Americans are.

No, we are certainly not a nation of immigrants. We were never set up as such a thing. Anyone espousing this platitude is either misinformed or a liar.

Well OK. now you force me to take on this absurdity directly. You are deriving an outcome that flies in the face of the aspirational intensions of our founding documents. Go ahead, make the argument that the only real citizens are white men of property. Go ahead and make that argument because that is what you arguing indirectly whether you know it or not.

In other words the language you are trying to use to make your case is irrelevant. We have rotten Illegal Immigration policy and processes. Has nothing to do with the damned founding documents.

Were all you forebears present in the US prior to 1787?

His were probably still in West Central Africa at that time. Self-loathing is a terrible thing.

As someone who has immigrated to this great country can I state the obvious and ask a simple question.

This nation was built by immigrants obviously but I would suggest there is one glaring difference between those people and the current trend. The original immigrants had made a conscious decision to leave their past behind and embrace a new way of life. Surely the fact that it only took a couple of hundred years to transform a few disparate colonies into a great superpower is testament to their success. Todays mass migrations are, in my humble opinion, a totally different phenomenon... these are largely poor people seeking a better life for them and their families, looking to share in the benefits the USA has to offer (and who can blame them) but with no real wish to become 'Americans' or 'Europeans'. A generalization I know but a reasonable one I think.

My question. Why is it that I am assumed to be a racist simply because I have recognized the effect of uncontrolled mass immigration by people who don't want to integrate into the host society.
I don't accept your initial assertion. This country was built by Americans, and this country was built for Americans. This nation of immigrants stuff is propaganda meant to convince Americans that they should be replaced in the nation their fathers built.

Saying that I don't believe all branches of your ancestry were in the US prior to 1776 is a personal attack? Are you that much of a delicate snowflake?

You must not have received the right-wing political debate memo. Throw huge bombs on offense, play the victim for defense.

No,but neither were the European and African immigrants prior to 1776
And we had no obligation to let them in.

Your entire argument about Amerindians is evidence that immigration isn't about what's best for this nation. Rather, you see it as a punishment, as revenge.

another rewrite of history... yawn
The Constitution is a rewrite of history? Umm.

Tsk...Phat... Of course you are. Get over it, and be nicer to immigrants...just like you. :)
Are you going to provide an argument? Or are you just going to be snarky?

Yes. They had a different name for it, of course, but yes, they did.

Did they really not cover that where you went to school?
They were conquered. Sorry, they don't get a say in how this nation is built. Besides, I don't remember them being fans of immigration into their lands.

It's not an argument.

Back
Top Bottom