• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We are growing old together

Yup. I'm an eternal child. By body disagrees...but what does it know? Its just meat with eyes.

I roll me eyes at the young at heart. Grow up.

;)

Actually, a mixed bag. In my youth I had the perfect job for that age, professional musician and part owner of a rehearsal space and recording studio. My problem with youth, or rather, with being young, is that I didn't know what I was doing and neither did most people my age, but I thought I was going to be invincible and indestructible forever.

My god the insane risks we took as youth. I can remember being a teen with a carload of teen boys and we decided to beat a train at a train crossing without gates. We flew across those tracks and I was sitting in passenger seat facing the train. The train was so close to us I remember the train's light lit up the interior of that car as if we had a million candles in there. And did anybody say, "that was crazy",,,no,,no,, we all roared and patted the driver on the back. If parents only knew.

My god the insane risks we took as youth. I can remember being a teen with a carload of teen boys and we decided to beat a train at a train crossing without gates. We flew across those tracks and I was sitting in passenger seat facing the train. The train was so close to us I remember the train's light lit up the interior of that car as if we had a million candles in there. And did anybody say, "that was crazy",,,no,,no,, we all roared and patted the driver on the back. If parents only knew.

I really shouldn't complain. I had a damn good youth. Miserable childhood, but the days of my youth are filled with a lot of fond memories. Maybe I'm just sorta wishing I'd relished it even more than I did at the time.
Yeah, I think that's actually it...I wished I'd been more appreciative of all the good fortune that smiled on me back then.
I sure am appreciative of it now!

Maybe Hunter S. Thompson wrote the following quote, maybe not.

I first saw it on a man's tee shirt while waiting in a bank lobby... and I immediately smiled and laughed.

Now, years later, I have seen and read the quote countless times. I still immediately smile and laugh.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!"

I claim this next quote as my own:

"If you haven't gotten dinged up in life, maybe you haven't lived. Take what you have left... and keep going!"

Maybe Hunter S. Thompson wrote the following quote, maybe not.

I first saw it on a man's tee shirt while waiting in a bank lobby... and I immediately smiled and laughed.

Now, years later, I have seen and read the quote countless times. I still immediately smile and laugh.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!"

I claim this next quote as my own:

"If you haven't gotten dinged up in life, maybe you haven't lived. Take what you have left... and keep going!"

Oh yes, totally agree.

Like sliding into home plate with a grin across your face just as you hear that ball slap into the catcher's mitt.

Oh yes, totally agree.

Like sliding into home plate with a grin across your face just as you hear that ball slap into the catcher's mitt.

Sounds good, but I'd prefer to hit a home run and just stroll across home base. I have plenty of dings already.

I agree with you entirely.... besides, I already died when I was 20 - saw the paperwork and everything. Who am I to argue with Uncle Sam? *L* Pretty much everyday since, I wake up and think I'm doing alright for a dead guy. Life is about what you make it - if you go around disappointed and cynical and depressed, that's what it's going to be for you. Too many people just whine and wallow and waddle into whatever comes next. Not me. Next time I die I'm going to make sure I go down kicking.... not getting T-Boned by some VW on the Autobahn like last time.

I got broadsided by a freight train when I was 16, Cord...woke up briefly under the front of the locomotive, legs still on car seat, then the lights went out ....Was in a coma 4 days, flatlined twice ( so I'm told. ) came thru in tact without a broken bone, just a big scar around my left eye. When one beats those odds, at least for me, each day is a gift.....and I've had 50 years of 'borrowed time', so no boredom or complaints here. It's all gravy.

I've been on the forum on and off across a decade or so. Many members are older, probably due to available time and maybe not as much into texting, tweeting and Facebooking as younger people are. Across this time, members have passed away, faded away and told of growing health issues.

Among us regulars we are all growing old together. Time will take us all. There is no appeal from that injustice.

What age range do you consider old? It's all relative. When my parents in their early 80's hear of someone passing in their 60's they consider them young. I just turned 61. I don't feel old. I feet the same as I did when I was 40 and can do anything I did at 40.

What age range do you consider old? It's all relative. When my parents in their early 80's hear of someone passing in their 60's they consider them young. I just turned 61. I don't feel old. I feet the same as I did when I was 40 and can do anything I did at 40.

That is the correct mindset. I am now 69 and still feel great. Although a couple of years ago I had to stop running six miles each day after 78,000 in my lifetime.

The key is to keep doing something that makes you happy. And it wounds like you have found that out for yourself.

I got broadsided by a freight train when I was 16, Cord...woke up briefly under the front of the locomotive, legs still on car seat, then the lights went out ....Was in a coma 4 days, flatlined twice ( so I'm told. ) came thru in tact without a broken bone, just a big scar around my left eye. When one beats those odds, at least for me, each day is a gift.....and I've had 50 years of 'borrowed time', so no boredom or complaints here. It's all gravy.

Ouch... geez, I'll take the VW over a train any ol'day.

I hear what you're saying about the whole borrowed time thing, though.... all my life since, no matter how much it's been hitting the fan or how stressful the day, I've always been able to shrug it off - could always be worse.

Being old is somewhat relative - unless factoring in health issues that come with age. For example, age 30 is old in the sense that at age 30 a man becomes invisible to teenage girls.

Last edited:
I really shouldn't complain. I had a damn good youth. Miserable childhood, but the days of my youth are filled with a lot of fond memories. Maybe I'm just sorta wishing I'd relished it even more than I did at the time.
Yeah, I think that's actually it...I wished I'd been more appreciative of all the good fortune that smiled on me back then.
I sure am appreciative of it now!

I found what I was looking for, but I ain’t through looking.

Yeah, let's all join the same retirement community so we yell at each other. :lamo

I gotta disagree there. Am older than you at age 67 but no way can I do the physical stuff I did when I was 46.

Go play a game of pick up tackle football and then tell me how many days afterwards it took for you to walk again.

I'm 57 and pretty much feel the same as I did at 30. Problem is I still do the same stuff I did at 30 and my body continually kicks me in the ass and says "you know you REALLY AREN'T 30 anymore."

Last edited:
I gotta disagree there. Am older than you at age 67 but no way can I do the physical stuff I did when I was 46.

Go play a game of pick up tackle football and then tell me how many days afterwards it took for you to walk again.

Walking was the next day. Walking without making all kinds of popping noises was probably 4 days.

I'm 57 and pretty much feel the same as I did at 30. Problem is still do the same stuff I did at 30 and my body continually kicks me in the ass and says "you know you REALLY AREN'T 30 anymore."

I think you nailed it on the head. In our minds we can still tackle a wide receiver. While our body says, "What are you thinking".

I remember many years ago going to see Bill Cosby before all the sexual events came out. He told the audience he was walking down the sidewalk one day feeling young and robust. Then he glanced over to this shadow coming from him showing this old man walking.

Especially for us baby boomers. My entire youth was basically a shang-rila.

Orgy at Shangri-La.
My first spring thaw in Minneapolis in 1978 as a young man of twenty I swear I felt like a kid in a candy store with a winning PowerBall ticket.

Eigth decade with the finish line in sight. Full life packed crises and recovery. Children and grand children. Relatives all over US and Canada. Anxious to see what comes next.

Back
Top Bottom