• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We are done as a democratic nation.

Cosmik Debris

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
When over 1/3 pf the population and one of two major political parties believe/claim elections are fraudulent when they aren't, we are done.

We have never seen this many Americans be so easily convinced to lose faith in our elections. Even in the middle of the Civil War we don't read about major politicians resorting to attacking election integrity just because they lost.

It's only a matter of time be for elections to become meaningless. I'm thinking within this century.

Thanks all you Big Lie believers!

When over 1/3 pf the population and one of two major political parties believe/claim elections are fraudulent when they aren't, we are done.

We have never seen this many Americans be so easily convinced to lose faith in our elections. Even in the middle of the Civil War we don't read about major politicians resorting to attacking election integrity just because they lost.

It's only a matter of time be for elections to become meaningless. I'm thinking within this century.

We're not done yet. But we are in peril. Right-wing propaganda has poisoned millions of minds in this country and convinced them so thoroughly of so many lies that it will be very difficult to untangle them.

We must vote like our lives depend on it, because they do.

Overly dramatic. I thought (and still do) that the 2000 election was stolen by the Supreme Court. I know many fellow democrats felt the same way.

I do feel as though the country's leadership has failed many Americans for most if not all of the 21st century. Inept leadership which lead us to a shrinking middle class is more to be feared.

We're not done yet. But we are in peril. Right-wing propaganda has poisoned millions of minds in this country and convinced them so thoroughly of so many lies that it will be very difficult to untangle them.

We must vote like our lives depend on it, because they do.
When that many people are convinced based on nothing more than the word of a sore loser, it's only a matter of time before claiming fraud becomes the norm when when an election is lost.

Not time to give up. We're living the first draft of history. History books 20 years from now will describe the big lie in far different terms than it does now.

When that many people are convinced based on nothing more than the word of a sore loser, it's only a matter of time before claiming fraud becomes the norm when when an election is lost.

For righties. Democrats cannot fall into that trap; we must only claim rigged elections when they are actually rigged.

I think you mean 2/3s of the population and both parties. Or did you forget about 2000, 2004 and 2016

We have been seeing a lot of that lately, what with the frequent, and baseless claims by progressives of ' voter suppression.'

But somehow I think THOSE attacks on election integrity is not what the OP means about threats to democracy.

Gore conceded after multiple legal challenges in a razor-thin election. When did trump concede the election that he clearly lost?

Last week I think. Regardless the democrat party has called the last 3 elections they lost fraudulent in some capacity. Neither party respects democracy when they lose.

Overly dramatic. I thought (and still do) that the 2000 election was stolen by the Supreme Court. I know many fellow democrats felt the same way.

I do feel as though the country's leadership has failed many Americans for most if not all of the 21st century. Inept leadership which lead us to a shrinking middle class is more to be feared.
The difference is that some individuals (wrongly, IMO) thought the 2000 election was stolen. The Democratic party as whole did not push the false narrative just because their leader was a sore loser.

Last week I think.

Over a YEAR after he lost? How did Gore handle that?

Regardless the democrat party has called the last 3 elections they lost fraudulent in some capacity. Neither party respects democracy when they lose.

When our side loses, we put on pink hats.

When your side loses, some of you storm the Capitol.

Both sides are not the same.

Not time to give up. We're living the first draft of history. History books 20 years from now will describe the big lie in far different terms than it does now.
It's more than the Big Lie itself. It's the fact that so many were so easily convinced. You would think that Americans would have to be really, really convinced that the heart of our democratic system was compromised. The word of a man like DT shouldn't even be a drop in the bucket toward enough evidence.

For righties. Democrats cannot fall into that trap; we must only claim rigged elections when they are actually rigged.
The problem is Democrats are people as well. Democratic politicians are just as slimy as Republican ones. If they see that attacking elections is a way to the top, they'll do it too.

The problem is Democrats are people as well. Democratic politicians are just as slimy as Republican ones. If they see that attacking elections is a way to the top, they'll do it too.

Which Democratic presidential candidate incited an invasion of the US Capitol?

Last week I think. Regardless the democrat party has called the last 3 elections they lost fraudulent in some capacity. Neither party respects democracy when they lose.

His lawyer has mumbled something to that effect. Trump himself has never done it, like Gore did. He still tells his supporters at rallies that the election was rigged and Biden is illegitimate.

Get back to us when he himself actually concedes he lost to his followers, just like he finally let go of his other lie about Obama's secret brith certificate.

I'm talking about it being common practice in future.

When our side lost the election, we put on pink hats.

When their side lost the election, they stormed the Capitol.

The precedents exist. Both sides are not the same.

When almost 2/3 of the population, one of the two major political parties and a portion of the other believe/claim that elections are not fraudulent when they are, we are done.

The difference is that some individuals (wrongly, IMO) thought the 2000 election was stolen. The Democratic party as whole did not push the false narrative just because their leader was a sore loser.
So how do you conclude the Republican party as a whole has pushed a false narrative?

It's more than the Big Lie itself. It's the fact that so many were so easily convinced. You would think that Americans would have to be really, really convinced that the heart of our democratic system was compromised. The word of a man like DT shouldn't even be a drop in the bucket toward enough evidence.

It was clear to many that 2020 election laws, rules and procedures were being added, changed and deleted by executive order (at both the state and local government levels) and/or state court rulings while the US constitution clearly allows only the states’ legislatures to have that power.

The courts were not about to allow challenges to election procedure (law) changes because that would place them in a position to have demand an election re-do if they upheld the US constitution’s requirements that only states’ legislatures can make (or change) election laws stand.

Back
Top Bottom