• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wayne State gets rid of math requirement

AtlantaAdonis

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Good idea. Math is just an abstract class for nerds that just keeps women and people of color out of science and keeps them from getting degrees. Completely unnecessary requirement that holds up educational progress.

Wayne State drops math as general ed requirement

What idiocy. Math is vital to a proper education. And to suggest that women and people of color can't excel in mathematics is highly sexist and racist.

Good idea. Math is just an abstract class for nerds that just keeps women and people of color out of science and keeps them from getting degrees. Completely unnecessary requirement that holds up educational progress.

Were you by any chance bad at math growing up? I used to be a math tutor in college and I remember hearing people make silly arguments about how it is not needed or how it is just for nerds. I never heard someone say it was just to keep women out of certain fields though.

Last edited:
What idiocy. Math is vital to a proper education. And to suggest that women and people of color can't excel in mathematics is highly sexist and racist.

Sciences that have less stringent math requirements have more women PhDs. Women have good representation in biology (probably because there's fewer creationists and they are more progressive), but the PhDs in physics and engineering where the math requirements are more stringent there's still a real shortage of women.

And it's there because geeky math professors that are angry they never got laid in college like to fail women with their curricula of boring proportional quadratic equations and elliptical algebra and suck all the excitement and wonder out of physics and engineering. People read Stephen Hawkings books and get really excited about physics and then some geek kills all their interest because they can't calculate how fast a block slides down an incline. Complete BS.

You can't be serious.

And it's there because geeky math professors that are angry they never got laid in college like to fail women with their curricula of boring proportional quadratic equations and elliptical algebra and suck all the excitement and wonder out of physics and engineering. People read Stephen Hawkings books and get really excited about physics and then some geek kills all their interest because they can't calculate how fast a block slides down an incline. Complete BS.

Do you really think everyone good at math is physically unattractive or socially awkward? And people fail math classes because they do their tests and math homework poorly. This is mostly the fault of them not understanding the material. Keep your conspiracies about evil sexist professors for the conspiracy forum.

Btw, I tutored many men and women. I can't say which sex needed more help, but both were well represented.

And that is coming from an English major who's last math class was basic college algebra. However, that math is still valuable, and in my retail job, basic algebra is a requirement. So it's not like it's not useful.

Are you one of those people who cannot make correct change unless the cash register tells you what it is?

Your remarks regarding females and people of color are so demeaning.

Even if you hate math with a passion, like me, understanding the importance of at least a basic mastery of it isn't rocket science.

This is rather disconcerting news.

Detroit's march to the grave just got a tad shorter.

Are you one of those people who cannot make correct change unless the cash register tells you what it is?

I think he was being sarcastic.

And that is coming from an English major who's last math class was basic college algebra. However, that math is still valuable, and in my retail job, basic algebra is a requirement. So it's not like it's not useful.

The people typically raging against math or science tend to be the people who are bad at it. I knew quite a few women in physics and math. It is true that women are underrepresented in math and science, it's not a fundamental problem with math and science, but rather how we teach it and how we encourage women in academics.

I took an impromptu survey of Math B.S. and Math B.A. at my convocation. My cohort of mathematics majors was roughly 50 - 50. Also, I think women who study math are mysterious and sexy and women who teach math are mysterious and probably not worth getting involved with outside the curriculum.

Sciences that have less stringent math requirements have more women PhDs. Women have good representation in biology (probably because there's fewer creationists and they are more progressive), but the PhDs in physics and engineering where the math requirements are more stringent there's still a real shortage of women.

I thought you were being sarcastic with your opening post, turns out you're a hack.

Forget what I said in my other reply, OP is a hack.

Some people need help counting out the change too.

The people typically raging against math or science tend to be the people who are bad at it. I knew quite a few women in physics and math. It is true that women are underrepresented in math and science, it's not a fundamental problem with math and science, but rather how we teach it and how we encourage women in academics.

Really, do you think we can please everyone by making college degrees more appealing to boys and maths more appealing to girls?

As a person who was always bad at math, it was a revelation when I got a teacher that clicked with me, and I started to understand it. Especially as a person who would take advanced and AP classes in every other subject. One of the proudest moments was when I got a 98 in a basic algebra class at the start of my college career.

Some people need help counting out the change too.

You do? You must need to improve your math skills.:lamo

On the other hand , maybe people not taking math is not such a bad idea. They wouldn't know if they were or were not being paid correctly. More profit for the "rich".

Back to the OP link.
""We felt the math requirement was better left to the various programs and majors to decide and to decide what levels of mathematics would be needed," Monica Brockmeyer, associate provost for student success, told the Free Press.. "We still continue to support mathematics at Wayne State.""

Having levels of math set by each department is not a bad idea. Tailor the math to the subject.

I'm with you, man!!! I mean, really, what's with all these standards and crap? Don't they realize that some people just get held back if they can't live up to certain standards? I mean, ****, if a guy wants to be a doctor and he's probably going to be a good doctor because he knows how to search WebMD then just let him be a doctor!!

I'm with you, man!!! I mean, really, what's with all these standards and crap? Don't they realize that some people just get held back if they can't live up to certain standards? I mean, ****, if a guy wants to be a doctor and he's probably going to be a good doctor because he knows how to search WebMD then just let him be a doctor!!

sounds like something from THE WALL

we don't need no education!

Back
Top Bottom