• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wayne State gets rid of math requirement

trust me, I suspect he is. other than English, math is the most useful subject one learns in school

Since I couldn't teach Chemistry and Physics without Math.

Good thing I went to USAF Base schools right after Sputnick and got drilled with Math .

Why would you assume I was talking about myself?

how is it vital to drop what is major requirements to understand those fields of study?

that is like saying a engineering student doesn't need geometry or calculus or trig to design or build a building.

wow that pretty much makes this college irrelevant for any degree.

Theyre dropping it as a general education requirement. Im sure degrees that actually do require math will still require math. But most careers dont need any more than you already learned in high school, so why take yet another 2 years? Same with:

foreign language
writing
reading
sports
arts

I majored in music. I didnt need math. Then I majored in political science. Still didnt need more than basic math. Then I ended up in IT. Still dont need more than basic math.

What idiocy. Math is vital to a proper education. And to suggest that women and people of color can't excel in mathematics is highly sexist and racist.

I must have missed that part. What I did see was:

"This decision was made largely because the current (math) requirement is at a level already required by most high school mathematics curriculum," the school wrote.

It's still dumb, but not racist/sexist....

Math is critically important for women to know. How else are they going to know how much Mop and Shine to put in the bucket of water...

:mrgreen:

So the mantra "what we need is MORE education, more people in college, more people with degrees" is now supplemented with "but not that icky hard learnin stuff".

What idiocy. Math is vital to a proper education. And to suggest that women and people of color can't excel in mathematics is highly sexist and racist.

Do you know what percentage of American jobs require a working knowledge of math beyond the four basic arithmetical computations.... addition, subtraction, multiplication and division?

I have served on, and chaired an advisory committee for a state college,
Most colleges and universities, are accredited by a regional accreditation system.
I think all of the accreditation systems have at least a college algebra requirement
for a bachelors of arts degree, and usually 6 or 9 hours of math beyond college algebra, for a BS.
To be fair I am only familiar with the requirements from Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools,
and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
The people who construct the degree plans struggle with statuary hour limits for the degrees,
and a continually growing list of required classes.
Sometimes tough choices need to be made! But cutting Math is crazy.

My college algebra teacher was a lady. A lady who knew the material inside and out.

A. I remember a study that said that once you adjusted for family income, students in public schools scored as well on tests as students in private and charter schools. I wondered about that. If you family income was over $150,000 a year then 2+2=4. But, if you family income was under $60,000 a year, then 2+2 could be 3,4, or 5.
B. A leftist once said to me, "Nothing is absolute. Everything is relative." "No, 2+2=4. That's absolute. Always." "No, it isn't." He spent the rest of his life, trying to convince me that 2+2 was only sometimes 4.
C. When I see people accepting meaningless information in the media as important, I understand why some don't want math taught. For example, "Arabic is the fastest growing language in the country." That is significant only if you consider the population. If five people speak Kikuyu and ten more arrive the growth in people speaking that language is staggering, isn't it, and rather meaningless. Look at the attention given to the bogus unemployment rate as the media ignores record breaking numbers of working age Americans who have left the workforce.
C. I was shocked that universities have any requirements for entry. I thought that had gone by the wayside years ago. I had people working for me who were in college and tested as functionally illiterate. On the bright side, if you ever get out of college it significantly reduces the competition. A report was handed out at a meeting and, among other figures, was a list of the number of each of 45 items on hand and the total. I said, "The total is wrong." Another person said, "How do you know? You didn't have time to add them up." "You can't have 45 items with two-digits numbers that add up to a two-digit total." "Why not?"

Last edited:

2+2 = 1 mod 3

https://maxwelldemon.com/2011/11/20/22-1-patterns-in-modular-arithmetic/

Modular Arithmetic -- from Wolfram MathWorld

Math is essential, but not for everybody....Arithmetic up to and including fractions which is very basic algebra, but not MATH.
My mother finished 3rd grade, and that was it. She could balance the family checkbook and comparison shop prices.
My dad was a machinist, so he used it a bit. How many math whizzes do we need? For the millions of us who are forced to take higher math
and rarely use it, it is a waste of time.

Out of the 5 of us siblings, only 2 of us used more than basic algebra, or higher math, on the job, and even then it wasn't often.

Up until very recently, mathematicians and logicians were indistinguishable. Should we require logic courses in addition to mathematics courses? After all, university graduates should be able to hold up in a modest debate.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…