• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Waxing vs. Shaving: Everything You Need to Know

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

IN THIS ARTICLE
The Convenience of Each MethodHow Long Each Process TakesHow Long the Results Last
How Much Each Method HurtsHow Much Each Method CostsFinal Thoughts
Waxing and shaving, though both common methods of hair removal, are vastly different in every other aspect. Waxing is a process that requires warm wax to remove the hair follicle from the hair shaft by mechanical force, while shaving is a method that involves a razor blade to trim the hair. When it comes to which method is better, well, that depends on a number of factors and which you deem more important than others. Consider the below arguments when deciding between waxing vs. shaving.

The Convenience of Each Method
With shaving, it’s as simple as hopping in the shower whenever you need or whenever best suits your schedule. With waxing, however, a good amount of preparation is required. Whether you choose to use an at-home product or go to a spa, you’ll first need to grow your hair to roughly a quarter of an inch, which takes time and involves an awkward growing-out phase. If you choose to go to a salon for your wax, you’ll need to book an appointment in advance and factor in the time it’ll take to travel to and from the spa.

How Long Each Process Takes
Shaving could take anywhere from a couple of minutes to 10 minutes, depending on the amount of hair you’re removing (i.e. just your underarms or your whole body). Waxing is also a fairly quick process, and a session could last up to 30 minutes based on the area. You’d also have to factor in the time getting to and from your appointment if you're visiting a spa or the time needed to heat the wax to the right consistency if using an at-home kit.

How Long the Results Last
According to Dr. Melissa Kanchanapoomi Levin, M.D., dermatologist and founder of Entière Dermatology in NYC, hair growth is variable and depends on a number of factors, including the area of removal. For instance, hair on the bikini and the underarm grow faster than the arms and legs, so it’s important to use similar areas when comparing waxing vs. shaving.

Hair grows in cycles (growing, resting, and shedding), so you’re only removing a certain amount of hair at any given time. On average, a wax can last up to two weeks before regrowth appears. You can extend the time in between appointments by waxing consistently.

As far as shaving goes, doing so every day or every other day is necessary for completely stubble-free skin. Women with lighter or thinner hair might be able to squeeze in another day or two before shaving again, but typically a couple of days is the max.

How Much Each Method Hurts
No matter what you do to prepare, waxing is uncomfortable, and waxing your pubic area is even more so. Obviously, the physical ripping of the hair out of the follicle is not an enjoyable sensation, but also consider the uncomfortable temperature of the wax and the lingering tenderness of the skin that follows.

==========================================
Waxing seems to be the preferred method in southern European countries where nude beaches are common. Men appear to prefer the 'bald beaver' look.

I shaved the pubic hair of my last wife & she was so happy with the result she maintained it that way by herself.

Personally, I just let it grow. I'll trim up here and there but I might go a month without knocking the shrubbery back.

That being said, when the time comes to take it all off I'm definitely a shaver instead of a waxer. While I have waxed my moustache once or twice I don't think that's the kind of waxing you're discussing here.

Personally, I just let it grow. I'll trim up here and there but I might go a month without knocking the shrubbery back.

That being said, when the time comes to take it all off I'm definitely a shaver instead of a waxer. While I have waxed my moustache once or twice I don't think that's the kind of waxing you're discussing here.
The subject is female pubic hair removal.

==========================================
Waxing seems to be the preferred method in southern European countries where nude beaches are common. Men appear to prefer the 'bald beaver' look.

I shaved the pubic hair of my last wife & she was so happy with the result she maintained it that way by herself.

I don't know where you have been but women have been predominately shaved since the late 80's.

Now the trend is to let it grow a bit and just keep it neat.

You must be from a red, backwards state.

I can only speak for me, it's a personal thing, and everyone else has different personal preferences and instincts, as it should be.
I'm old, older than dirt.
My first pleasant memories of seeing naked women were women who looked like women, not four year olds, and while I don't fetishize, my instincts are what they are, backed by what I figure must be evolution, so for me, it's a little bit odd or "off" not seeing a fluffy kitty. I don't see any problem with trimming things up neatly, but I do think the "triangle" is a pretty thing.

I suppose if I'd grown up in the 80's or 90's I'd be taken aback by a bush, but that's for the youngsters to decide.
The first time I saw a completely "brazilian" lady garden, sorry...my reaction was "WTF?" and it felt a wee bit creepy to me to look at it.
I don't try to question this stuff too much on any intellectual level because there's no intellectualizing what makes someone aroused, is there? I figure this really does boil down to "it is what it is" and "the heart wants what the heart wants."
Besides, if there really is one thing I do find off-putting, it's all those angry red bumps and what-not...that "area" wasn't designed to be bald. Besides, it looks..."clinical", like it's being prepped for surgery or something.

I guess that makes me a fan of the "classic" look? 😁
And as for what the lady wants, I'm more than happy to accommodate their wishes for me on my end as long as it only involves a miniature electric clipper.
I won't wax anything on my body! 🤣

tenor.gif

Oh yeah, have to ask...have any of you guys ever gotten anything waxed?
OMG I can't even imagine subjecting myself to that.
I don't even understand how a woman would undergo so much pain in such a sensitive area.
I hope they don't think they need to do it to impress me! eekDP.gif

Any local women want to help me practice get really really Good at it? Just claim you want to be my friend so you can me help practice. Equality in modern times, right?

Back
Top Bottom