• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Watchdog group: Delaware candidate's spending 'flat-out illegal'

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
(CNN) -- A watchdog group says it plans to ask authorities in Delaware to investigate Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell's finances.

At issue are more than $20,000 of spending in 2009 and 2010 that Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington claims was illegal.

"It turns out Miss O'Donnell has treated her campaign funds like they are her very own personal piggy bank. She's used that money to pay for things like her rent, for gas, meals and even a bowling outing. And that's just flat-out illegal," said Melanie Sloan, the group's executive director.

In an interview on CNN's "AC360," Sloan said her organization would be sending letters to the U.S. Attorney's Office in Delaware and the Federal Elections Commission on Monday asking them to investigate.

Now flicking through their website, it appears they don't just target conservatives as I'm sure that accusation was coming.

In fact here's a list of who they believe to be congress' most corrupt

•Rep. Vern Buchanan (R-FL)
•Sen. Roland Burris (D-IL)
•Rep. Ken Calvert (R-CA)
•Rep. Nathan Deal (R-GA)
•Sen. John Ensign (R-NV)
•Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr. (D-IL)
•Rep. Jerry Lewis (R-CA)
•Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY)
•Rep. Alan B. Mollohan (D-WV)
•Rep. John P. Murtha (D-PA)
•Rep. Charles B. Rangel (D-NY)
•Rep. Laura Richardson (D-CA)
•Rep. Pete Visclosky (D-IN)
•Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA)
•Rep. Don Young (R-AK)

So, as I have illustrated.

Hopefully this isn't about politics, but about actual ethics.

But nothing has been proven, we shall wait and see.

Now that jet's lied to us all, let's play out some truth on CREW:

CREW is funded in part by individuals who are members of the Democracy Alliance.
Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington - SourceWatch
"At least 80 wealthy liberals have pledged to contribute $1 million or more apiece to fund a network of think tanks and advocacy groups to compete with the potent conservative infrastructure built up over the past three decades," The Washington Post reported in August, 2005. [1]
Rob Stein's PowerPoint presentation on how the Right built a strong infrastructure of think tanks, non-profits, non-profit groups, scholarship recipients, academics, lobbyists, right wing activists and the media led to the founding of the Democracy Alliance, and also a separate organization, the New Progressive Coalition founded by entrepreneurs Andy and Deborah Rappaport.
The Democracy Alliance tries to keep a low profile and its wealthy donors prefer anonymity. According to published reports, organizations funded by Democracy Alliance are asked not to reveal the funding.

Democracy Alliance - SourceWatch

"Before becoming a prosecutor, Ms. Sloan served as Minority Counsel for the [House Judiciary Committee], working on criminal justice issues for then-Ranking Member [John Conyers] (D-MI). Ms. Sloan also served as Counsel for the Crime Subcommittee of the House Judiciary Committee, chaired by then-Representative [Charles Schumer] (D-NY). There, she drafted portions of the 1994 Crime Bill, including the [Violence Against Women Act]. In 1993, Ms. Sloan served as Nominations Counsel to the [Senate Judiciary Committee], under then-Chairman [Joseph Biden] (D-DE). Prior to working for the Congress, she was an associate at Howrey and Simon in Washington D.C. Ms. Sloan received her B.A. and J.D. from the University of Chicago and has published in the Yale Law and Policy Review, and numerous other publications," her biographical note states.[1]
Melanie Sloan - SourceWatch

Naomi Seligman is Deputy Director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington. Previously, she worked in the communications department at Media Matters for America. [1]
Naomi Seligman - SourceWatch

That should give you some insight into this "non-partisan" group.

That they have liberals on the list means little as all of those are in the media and hardly defensible.

That they have liberals on the list means little as all of those are in the media and hardly defensible.

So then how come they also investigate democrats?

Or is a conspiracy to appear non-partisan?

Now that jet's lied to us all, let's play out some truth on CREW:

Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington - SourceWatch

Democracy Alliance - SourceWatch

Melanie Sloan - SourceWatch

Naomi Seligman - SourceWatch

And?

Was what was reported wrong?

Did or did not O'Donnell use campaign funds to support her personal life?

I don't think anybody or anything is truly non-partisan, so can we dispense with that red herring?

Jet's point is that they're not all about attacking one side or the other, that both parties have felt the sting of their wrath, such as it is.

That's a point you can't simply dismiss.

Are they inaccurate in their bipartisan allegations?

CBS Dishonestly Touts 'Non-Partisan Watchdog' Group's Quest for a 'Criminal Investigation' of Christine O'Donnell | NewsBusters.org

Reporter Nancy Cordes painted O'Donnell as a hypocrite, charging that “even as she preached a return to fiscal conservatism, O'Donnell's own unorthodox spending habits were starting to come under heavy scrutiny,” asserting “the unemployed O'Donnell used campaign funds to pay for meals, gas, bowling trips, and personal rent, even long after the campaign had ended.”

CBS then gave a platform to veteran Democratic activist Melanie Sloan, who is now advancing her liberal agenda as Executive Director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW). She alleged O'Donnell “just stole” campaign donations.

Cordes legitimized CREW by misleadingly describing the obviously liberal outfit as “the non-partisan watchdog group” which “is urging the U.S. attorney in Delaware to open a criminal investigation.” Sloan got a second soundbite to declare: “It's not sloppiness, it's out-and-out theft.”

Read more: CBS Dishonestly Touts 'Non-Partisan Watchdog' Group's Quest for a 'Criminal Investigation' of Christine O'Donnell | NewsBusters.org

And I aint' the only one that sees them for what they are.

Now flicking through their website, it appears they don't just target conservatives as I'm sure that accusation was coming.

In fact here's a list of who they believe to be congress' most corrupt

•Rep. Vern Buchanan (R-FL)
•Sen. Roland Burris (D-IL)
•Rep. Ken Calvert (R-CA)
•Rep. Nathan Deal (R-GA)
•Sen. John Ensign (R-NV)
•Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr. (D-IL)
•Rep. Jerry Lewis (R-CA)
•Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY)
•Rep. Alan B. Mollohan (D-WV)
•Rep. John P. Murtha (D-PA)
•Rep. Charles B. Rangel (D-NY)
•Rep. Laura Richardson (D-CA)
•Rep. Pete Visclosky (D-IN)
•Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA)
•Rep. Don Young (R-AK)

So, as I have illustrated.

Hopefully this isn't about politics, but about actual ethics.

But nothing has been proven, we shall wait and see.

Hey - 7/8 count. Almost even.
The affirmation that corruption is bi-partisan is so comforting.

I don't think anybody or anything is truly non-partisan, so can we dispense with that red herring?

Jet's point is that they're not all about attacking one side or the other, that both parties have felt the sting of their wrath, such as it is.

That's a point you can't simply dismiss.

Watchdog, Donors Share Common Foes - Roll Call

Here, read this bit eh?

The ethics watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington has made its mark by issuing dozens of complaints since 2003 alleging that Members of Congress have taken official actions that benefit their families, friends or financial benefactors.

But a review of entities against which CREW has filed complaints and information about its donors suggests that the organization may be guilty of the same practice — attacking groups and individuals who are the foes of CREW’s donors.

CREW is not a reliable source for anything other than partisan hackery. I've laid out plenty of evidence in this thread, I'm basically done now. If you wanna keep defending them, that's on you.

And I aint' the only one that sees them for what they are.

So then let's stipulate that, in today's politically charged world, nothing and nobody is non-partisan, and any claim to such a lack of bias is an endorsement rather than an accurate statement.

That said, they do go after both sides of the isle. You can't deny that no matter how hard you try.

You know, it's hilarious in its own way -- the same conservatives who call affirmative action "quotas" and who say you can't use numbers to measure fairness in hiring . . . use it to measure fairness in investigating.

It's not so much having your cake and eating it too as it is Schrödinger's Cake -- since they've eaten it and can no longer see it, it is both eaten and uneaten at the same time. :lol:

CREW is not a reliable source for anything other than partisan hackery. I've laid out plenty of evidence in this thread, I'm basically done now. If you wanna keep defending them, that's on you.

I'm not defending them so much as I am laughing at you.

What I haven't seen (and for all I could know it's because I'm trying to read this **** without my glasses) is a demonstration that they make spurious accusations against "foes."

All I've seen you say is that they accuse "foes" of doing bad things -- but if those "foes" ARE doing bad things, and your only defense is that it's "partisan hackery," that's pretty damn weak tea.

Just saying.

I'm not defending them so much as I am laughing at you.

What I haven't seen (and for all I could know it's because I'm trying to read this **** without my glasses) is a demonstration that they make spurious accusations against "foes."

All I've seen you say is that they accuse "foes" of doing bad things -- but if those "foes" ARE doing bad things, and your only defense is that it's "partisan hackery," that's pretty damn weak tea.

Just saying.

Mr V just will not address the issue that O donnel may have been using campaign funds illegally

Mr V just will not address the issue that O donnel may have been using campaign funds illegally

I'm not addressing it because the source is a hackery site, and many of you here are "OMG these hyper partisan's are accusing her of this, it MUST BE TRUE!!"

Please, I'm not so stupid as to fall for these media games anymore and that's exactly what this is right now. What's going to happen is there wil be an investigation, because but the results won't come out till well after the election. But the damage will have been done.

Doesn't matter if they are true or not, that's not the game, the game is to make them.

I'm not addressing it because the source is a hackery site, and many of you here are "OMG these hyper partisan's are accusing her of this, it MUST BE TRUE!!"

Please, I'm not so stupid as to fall for these media games anymore and that's exactly what this is right now. What's going to happen is there wil be an investigation, because but the results won't come out till well after the election. But the damage will have been done.

Doesn't matter if they are true or not, that's not the game, the game is to make them.

Dance dance dance around the issue some more Mr V

You wont address the issue because it may mean she used campaign funds illegally, which would be a bad thing. But instead you try to distract everyone by saying look over hear, stop paying attention to that issue

So you've got an opinion on the reputation of the source, which is also a matter of opinion, but you have no opinion on the accusation, which is a question of fact that you don't want to address in any way.

Nothing has been proven yet guys.

They are after all accusations.

However, it would be quite hilarious if it were true. Puts a huge damper on the whole Fiscal responsibility thing that TEA Party is suppose to be about.

From your link But Sloan said her organization's scrutiny had nothing to do with partisan politics. She noted that her organization had also recently called for Rep. Charles Rangel, D-New York, to step down after allegations of ethics violations.
***************************************************************************************************
LOL They could have given O'Donnell the same consideration and waited years before getting involved.
If Sloan is from Media Matters, then that means George Soros is involved. No surprise there.
The Tea Party has the dems scared. They would have been happy with Castle, but they are going to do whatever it takes to destroy O'Donnell

The Tea Party has the dems scared. They would have been happy with Castle, but they are going to do whatever it takes to destroy O'Donnell

The Tea Party scares the Republican party even more, because the Tea Party simultaneously threatens to split the vote and to erode the establishment's ability to pick the candidates.

To the Democrats, the Tea Party is nothing more than an unusually motivated and woefully disorganized slice of the right.

Absolutely true. I'm just loving how MrVicchio's approach is to tear down the source rather than talk about the actual subject of the thread.

While I hate to agree with MrV, he's right that so far this is just an accusation. We don't have any evidence in either direction other than these accusations. When an actual investigation happens, there will be something to talk about. Anything we do right now is just speculation. It wouldn't shock me if these allegations were true, but I'm not going to just assume that they are.

Back
Top Bottom