• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Watchdog files lawsuit alleging gerrymandering in NC

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Watchdog files lawsuit alleging gerrymandering in NC | TheHill

The Republicans continue to skirt or blatantly abuse the law. Florida was another case, and that was just recently.
Is there something in the bourbon they drink?

North Carolina Republicans drew the current boundaries after a federal court ruled their earlier lines, drawn after the 2010 Census, improperly diminished the political power of African-American voters. Rather than allow a federal court to rearrange district lines, state legislators in February offered a quick fix that satisfied federal courts while maintaining the ten Republican, three Democrat mix of the state's congressional delegation.

During that February process, state Sen. Bob Rucho (R) and state Rep. David Lewis (R), co-chairs of a joint redistricting committee, acknowledged those who drew the new maps were using political data, such as past election results and voter registration statistics. Earlier criteria adopted by the legislature instructed mapmakers to make a "reasonable effort" to maintain the ten Republican, three Democrat split.

Common Cause says those instructions violate several sections of the Constitution, including the First and Fourteenth Amendments and parts of Article One.

North Carolina Voter ID Law Struck on Appeal in Obama Win - Bloomberg

The specific districts that were ordered to be redrawn by the federal court, were drawn by Democrats when they controlled the state legislature. Not Republicans. That little fact continues to elude the fact finding capabilities of the ****ing press and the Democrats.

The GOP controlled legislature of NC has done more than enough aweful things to be called out on, but his ain't one of them.

The ****ing Democrats gerrymandered the goddamned districts decades ago, not the Republicans. And, back then, when it was in their benefit, the NAACP and all the other assholes that are now complaining about it were back then championing the gerrymandering as a win for minorities.

Do some research people. Don't trust the press to tell you the truth. Look up the history of NC Congressional Districts 1 and 12 - they were established in 1992 by a Democrat controlled state legislature to give the Democrats two locked-in seats with majority black districts. District 1 is represented by the guy that's also the chairman of the Black Congressional Caucus. District 12 looked like a frigging Warshak test.

north_carolina_us_congressional_districts__since_2013__.jpg

Please - stop blaming the GOP for this one. It was the Democrats that did this.

The specific districts that were ordered to be redrawn by the federal court, were drawn by Democrats when they controlled the state legislature. Not Republicans. That little fact continues to elude the fact finding capabilities of the ****ing press and the Democrats.

The GOP controlled legislature of NC has done more than enough aweful things to be called out on, but his ain't one of them.

The ****ing Democrats gerrymandered the goddamned districts decades ago, not the Republicans. And, back then, when it was in their benefit, the NAACP and all the other assholes that are now complaining about it were back then championing the gerrymandering as a win for minorities.

Do some research people. Don't trust the press to tell you the truth. Look up the history of NC Congressional Districts 1 and 12 - they were established in 1992 by a Democrat controlled state legislature to give the Democrats two locked-in seats with majority black districts. District 1 is represented by the guy that's also the chairman of the Black Congressional Caucus. District 12 looked like a frigging Warshak test.

north_carolina_us_congressional_districts__since_2013__.jpg

Please - stop blaming the GOP for this one. It was the Democrats that did this.

Um, Republicans attempted to redraw the districts in 2010, which is what the courts rejected.

Um, wrong.

Watchdog files lawsuit alleging gerrymandering in NC | TheHill
North Carolina Republicans drew the current boundaries after a federal court ruled their earlier lines, drawn after the 2010 Census, improperly diminished the political power of African-American voters. Rather than allow a federal court to rearrange district lines, state legislators in February offered a quick fix that satisfied federal courts while maintaining the ten Republican, three Democrat mix of the state's congressional delegation.

It wasn't just republicans but democrats in fl and one of the democrats is facing fraud charges for a fake charity

I am aware of the charity charge. What that has to do with the OP is?

The case I am referring to was Republicans

Florida's Supreme Court has struck another blow against gerrymandering - Vox

Yet Florida's map-drawing process was still left to the state legislature, then controlled by Republicans. And when the legislature redistricted shortly afterward, the maps it came up with seemed to many to be slanted in favor of the GOP. Indeed, in 2012 Republicans got 51 percent of the US House votes — but they ended up with 63 percent of the seats, 17 out of 27.
Yep, that sounds like partisanship at work. AHEM, NO IT WAS BLATANT DISREGARD FOR THE LAWS.

I know what the story says. That's why I asked that you do your own research. Or, you can choose not to do so and just believe the bull**** currently being told.

Beau
Ton of things on the go, but when time permits I will try to look at NC on this. Best I can do for now

No rush. Thanks for keeping an open mind.

Myself I hate politicians who take a voters 1 person 1 vote away.
I can understand for minorities to be represented, but to win an election. These buggers should be in jail

Back
Top Bottom