• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

WATCH: Out-of-control cop pummels 'shoplifter' mom in front of infant daughter

WATCH: Out-of-control cop pummels 'shoplifter' mom in front of infant daughter - NYPOST.com

What is going on with our LEO these days.

Shoplifting: Very bad. Punishment fitting the crime? Oh hell no.

Um... I read the linked article. It mentions she is white and her boyfriend is black, then mentions something about "sensitivity" training??

What the holy hell does their ethnicity have to do with the story?!

I was expecting a video or pictures if the alleged abuse...was there supposed to be one?

I'm questioning the news source at this point when race was mentioned smack dab in the middle if the article. :-/

Um... I read the linked article. It mentions she is white and her boyfriend is black, then mentions something about "sensitivity" training??

What the holy hell does their ethnicity have to do with the story?!

I was expecting a video or pictures if the alleged abuse...was there supposed to be one?

I'm questioning the need source at this point.

Try doing what I did, Google her name and just wander about. Allegedly,

She says the beating started when she was calling her boyfriend, James Gibson, to come and pick up her 14-month-old daughter.

Gibson is community activist who has previously done race sensitivity training with the police. Redell claims that when the officers heard his name they told her: 'This is going to get ugly, real quick.'

I wouldn't tend to believe her, but the video shows they really did go to town on her.

WATCH: Out-of-control cop pummels 'shoplifter' mom in front of infant daughter - NYPOST.com

What is going on with our LEO these days.

Shoplifting: Very bad. Punishment fitting the crime? Oh hell no.

I'm sorry, call me hard hearted or whatever but this woman admits that she's had trouble with the police, that she's been charged and convicted of shoplifting in the past, admits that she bit the police officer's hand, admits that she was on the phone with her husband who also has a significant criminal record and we're to be outraged that she was roughed up in front of her infant?

I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't hear what conversations may have been happening at the time - I don't know if this woman copped an attitude - I don't know if her husband was advising her not to cooperate. There's lots we don't know. What we do know is that this infant is growing up in a home with two convicted criminals and the mother sure looked fine to me when being interviewed. To me, this woman and her husband think they've just bought the winning Power-ball ticket and they're going to easy street.

I have sympathy for the infant - have her removed and put in foster care - as for the mom, tough - stop stealing, stop using your daughter as a decoy to allow you to steal, and get a life.

I'm sorry, call me hard hearted or whatever but this woman admits that she's had trouble with the police, that she's been charged and convicted of shoplifting in the past, admits that she bit the police officer's hand, admits that she was on the phone with her husband who also has a significant criminal record and we're to be outraged that she was roughed up in front of her infant?

I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't hear what conversations may have been happening at the time - I don't know if this woman copped an attitude - I don't know if her husband was advising her not to cooperate. There's lots we don't know. What we do know is that this infant is growing up in a home with two convicted criminals and the mother sure looked fine to me when being interviewed. To me, this woman and her husband think they've just bought the winning Power-ball ticket and they're going to easy street.

I have sympathy for the infant - have her removed and put in foster care - as for the mom, tough - stop stealing, stop using your daughter as a decoy to allow you to steal, and get a life.

She bit him to get him off her and frankly? What the hell kind of loser LEO pulls what they pulled in front of a one year-old.

Where are you seeing that the dad has a significant criminal record?

This is ridiculous. "They have records, we shall pulverize the **** out of her, causing her to lose some significant portion of her vision." And you're okay with that, which says a **** ton more about you than it does about them.

Normally I'd agree with that CanadaJohn, but in this case, the bite to the finger tip doesn't warrant several closed fist blows to the face while she's subdued. That said I don't think she should profit from this in any way, but I do think the officer should feel some pain/consequences from his actions.

She bit him to get him off her and frankly? What the hell kind of loser LEO pulls what they pulled in front of a one year-old.

Where are you seeing that the dad has a significant criminal record?

This is ridiculous. "They have records, we shall pulverize the **** out of her, causing her to lose some significant portion of her vision." And you're okay with that, which says a **** ton more about you than it does about them.

I have doubts as to her claims of vision loss. Perhaps while the swelling was in full swing, but her eyes track just fine now. It's stated in all the articles that the boyfriend/kid's father? is well known to the police, and not in a good way. As far as doing it in front of a one year old, she shoplifted in front of the one year old, used the kids stroller to hide her theft. Not likely the kid is going to remember any of this in any event.

Holy crap!!

IMO, the real issue is how does a cop get the idea that he can beat the **** out of someone simply because they're married to someone they don't like?

It reveals something extremely ugly about the mindset many cops have, and the system that allows such thinking to develop and go unpunished (notwithstanding slaps on the wrists )

I've looked at this version of the video a few times now and it sure looks to me like the chick was getting verbally combative and then used "the magic words". From there the cops both moved to subdue her which is SOP and it isn't until a few seconds later than the punches are thrown. If she bit the cop as he was trying to subdue her and ended up with a black eye for doing so I really don't have a lot of sympathy.

Video: Davenport Police altercation with shoplifting suspect | WQAD.com

It's stated in all the articles that the boyfriend/kid's father? is well known to the police, and not in a good way.

That is not stated in any of the articles. Most of the articles linked to in this thread mention that the father works *with* the police, not against them

I've looked at this version of the video a few times now and it sure looks to me like the chick was getting verbally combative and then used "the magic words". From there the cops both moved to subdue her which is SOP and it isn't until a few seconds later than the punches are thrown. If she bit the cop as he was trying to subdue her and ended up with a black eye for doing so I really don't have a lot of sympathy.

Video: Davenport Police altercation with shoplifting suspect | WQAD.com

That was my take on it, but as I said earlier, the nip at the finger tip was not justification for the closed fist punches to the face. At the very least the officer doing the punching needs more training on subduing a suspect.

Last edited:
I've looked at this version of the video a few times now and it sure looks to me like the chick was getting verbally combative and then used "the magic words".

What I see is a cop interfering with a suspects right to make a phone call and behaving aggressively. If he thought there was cause to restrain her, he should have cleared the room first.

That is not stated in any of the articles. Most of the articles linked to in this thread mention that the father works *with* the police, not against them

No, if you read the OP:

Gibson has previously done sensitivity training with local police.

Several of the articles mention that he "previously" helped with sensitivity training with local police. Some just list him as a community activist. His previous "help" may have been a court mandated thing as part of some settlement by the local police department. Which may explain why police don't like him much.

What I see is a cop interfering with a suspects right to make a phone call and behaving aggressively. If he thought there was cause to restrain her, he should have cleared the room first.

The suspect does not have a right to make a phone call at time of questioning or arrest.

No, if you read the OP:

The OP says "*with* local police"

I am right

Several of the articles mention that he "previously" helped with sensitivity training with local police. Some just list him as a community activist. His previous "help" may have been a court mandated thing as part of some settlement by the local police department.

Nonsense. You are making up ridiculous nonsense to justify your ridiculous notion that a cops feelings about someone's spouse somehow justifies violence.

I challenge you to find one example of someone being mandated by a court to train the police on any subject.

The suspect does not have a right to make a phone call at time of questioning or arrest.

The suspect has a right to make a phone call. The police allowed her to do so at that time, and then interfered with her exercising that right

If they didn't want her to make that phone call at that time, they should not have allowed her to make that phone call at that time.

But they did

In my 57 years, any contact I've had with a LEO has been "yes sir, no sir" and that's about it. It's served me well.

Anyone who thinks they can bow up to one/ talking smack and come away unscathed is a fool.

That was my take on it, but as I said earlier, the nip at the finger tip was not justification for the closed fist punches to the face. At the very least the officer doing the punching needs more training on subduing a suspect.

No doubt. I can't think of too many good reasons to punch a suspect but it damned sure isn't a civil rights thing and it's also not the egregious kind of abuse we've seen in other situations.

The OP says "*with* local police"

I am right

Nonsense. You are making up ridiculous nonsense to justify your ridiculous notion that a cops feelings about someone's spouse somehow justifies violence.

I challenge you to find one example of someone being mandated by a court to train the police on any subject.

Yes, yes, I know how invested you are with being right. The article says, as most of them do - "previously". And if you had bothered to read any of my posts you'd have seen I'm not in agreement with the policeman's actions here. Further, if you read for comprehension rather than to repair your own mistaken post, you'd have maybe caught on I was saying maybe the police department was the one court mandated the sensitivity training. It may have been this fellow who initiated the suit in the first place. After all, it's one of the things "community organisers" do.

Last edited:

If you watch the clip she was on the phone for plenty of time to get the message across. The cops aren't obligated to allow her any more than a simple notification to come pick up the kid. Furthermore, her actions indicated hostility and resistance to the cops which can reasonably be assumed to have been prompted (and even exacerbated) by the conversation.

What bothers me is the cops just goes at her with the baby right there. Didn't even restrain himself and take a couple of words thrown at him for the sake of the baby. Even if the mother couldn't control herself with her words, the cop should know better to control his actions and the situation.

Back
Top Bottom