• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Watch how the Democrats, the minority of the Senate attempted to block Judge Amy Barrett from the vote of the Senate

Robertinfremont

Photo of me taken in the Army 1963
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Durbin has nerve. But it failed to work.

They should try any way they can, but really if they had waited for their turn before they changed the rules this wouldn't be happening.

They loose fair and square, you can't ask the Republicans to slit their own wrists.

They should try any way they can, but really if they had waited for their turn before they changed the rules this wouldn't be happening.

They loose fair and square, you can't ask the Republicans to slit their own wrists.
That is correct. And once Durbin lost, suddenly the Democrats found they would attend the committee meeting. Blumenthal also lost.

That is correct. And once Durbin lost, suddenly the Democrats found they would attend the committee meeting. Blumenthal also lost.
The American people lost over this battle. All sorts of civil rights are in jeopardy.

And this will cause the GOP to lose the senate for sure.

The American people lost over this battle. All sorts of civil rights are in jeopardy.

One of the big reasons Trump was elected was to swing the circuit courts back into somewhat of a balance. Graham is correct. Noone but the working American people expected Trump to win. I think the American people are speaking right now. If you want to be angry with somebody, make it RGB who should have left the court eight years ago.

Durbin has nerve. But it failed to work.

Boohoo.

The GOP stole Garland's seat and is now breaking the rule it invented to do that in order to take another seat. Stop whining that someone is fighting back.

Boohoo.

The GOP stole Garland's seat and is now breaking the rule it invented to do that in order to take another seat. Stop whining that someone is fighting back.

What was different, and how is it you do not know? Garland was selected when we had a Republican Senate and the Democrat president. This is special. Democrat presidents can be blocked by the Senate. Why don't you know that?

Democrats are not fighting back, they are pissing their pants and are angry.

One of the big reasons Trump was elected was to swing the circuit courts back into somewhat of a balance. Graham is correct. Noone but the working American people expected Trump to win. I think the American people are speaking right now. If you want to be angry with somebody, make it RGB who should have left the court eight years ago.
Had Ginsburg left the court when she could retire, Obama probably would have got her replaced. When the Senate went to republicans, Obama was plainly effed by his own petard. The public converted the Senate to Republicans and have so far not changed their minds, for many reasons., Democrats refuse to know why.

Stop that. You know that is false. So stop that.

I think Trump will carry the Senate when he wins.

I think Trump will carry the Senate when he wins.
How do you know Trump will win reelection? Do you have inside information that Trump has rigged the election?

Senator Lindsey Graham proved himself to be a hypocrite by this hearing going ahead while a presidential election is in progress. It will be a grand pleasure to see him getting the boot by the people of South Carolina.

Boohoo.

Durbin is a lying sack of check bouncing shit that we voted out of a representative seat in Illinois only to have the worthless bastard come back as a Senator by courting the vote in Chicago. He represents everything wrong with politics and should have been impeached with all the other assholes writing checks they knew weren't good on their House banking accounts.

Please stop. Guessing how a SC justice is going to rule is about as smart an idea as pissing in the wind. All wind up being is wet and smelly.

Last edited:
What was different, and how is it you do not know? Garland was selected when we had a Republican Senate and the Democrat president. This is special. Democrat presidents can be blocked by the Senate. Why don't you know that?

Democrats are not fighting back, they are pissing their pants and are angry.
That is irrelevant. McConnell made that up to excuse his being a sleazy two faced asshole. Granted he has the power to be a sleazy two faced asshole but that doesn’t make him any less a sleazy two faced asshole.

And I say that as someone who thinks ACB should be confirmed.

That is irrelevant. McConnell made that up to excuse his being a sleazy two faced asshole. Granted he has the power to be a sleazy two faced asshole but that doesn’t make him any less a sleazy two faced asshole.

And I say that as someone who thinks ACB should be confirmed.

How can he be the asshole when he runs things using the Senate Rules? Don't you mean the Senate Rules are the asshole?

Durbin is a lying sack of check bouncing shit that we voted out of a representative seat in Illinois only to have the worthless bastard come back as a Senator by courting the vote in Chicago. He represents everything wrong with politics and should have been impeached with all the other assholes writing checks they knew weren't good on their House banking accounts.

I recall that scandal. Gee that was when the Major Media actually reported the news properly.

So what Senate rule did he use to deny Garland and then grant ACB a hearing? Other than the “I’m the majority leader so I can make up whatever rule I want” rule.

Hint: Don’t bother looking because there is none. Don’t believe me? The rules governing the Senate confirmation process and the workings of the Senate judiciary committee are online, ya just gotta do a little googling.

Boohoo.

Did you call the police to report theft of this seat?

So what Senate rule did he use to deny Garland and then grant ACB a hearing? Other than the “I’m the majority leader so I can make up whatever rule I want” rule.

Hint: Don’t bother looking because there is none. Don’t believe me? The rules governing the Senate confirmation process and the workings of the Senate judiciary committee are online, ya just gotta do a little googling.
The same one Reid used, all debate has to be brought through the Senate Majority leader chair's desk. Its nothing new, but you don't act poutraged until Republicans use the same rules Democrats used for years to block votes and discussion they didn't like.

What senate rule requires the senate to vote on a nominee?

The same one Reid used, all debate has to be brought through the Senate Majority leader chair's desk. Its nothing new, but you don't act poutraged until Republicans use the same rules Democrats used for years to block votes and discussion they didn't like.
In other words McConnell gets to decide, which is what I said.

and what pray tell do you know about what I think about Democrats May or may not have donein the past?

Hypocrisy abounds. What else is new?

The issue is simple: on side is for greater respect for reproductive rights, labor rights, govt health care, protection of the environment and consumers, etc., because it represents people who favor such things, and the other wants to weaken them, and/or believes that business should decide such things, not government officials, because it represents people who oppose such things.
Quibbling about pre-election judicial appointments or what the other side did or didn’t do just distracts from the important stuff.

There isn’t. As I said McConnell is making it up as he goes. That should be obvious.
Well, and following a few hundreds years of precedent.

The important point here is that no, there is nothing requiring the senate to vote on a nominee, nor is there one saying they can't.

Hypocrisy abounds. What else is new?

The issue is simple: on side is for greater respect for reproductive rights, labor rights, govt health care, protection of the environment and consumers, etc., because it represents people who favor such things, and the other wants to weaken them, and/or believes that business should decide such things, not government officials, because it represents people who oppose such things.
Quibbling about pre-election judicial appointments or what the other side did or didn’t do just distracts from the important stuff.
Lumping lots of talking points to create a giant straw man!!!

Back
Top Bottom