• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Washington state plans to ban most non-electric vehicles by 2030

This will be challenged in court and Inslee will lose just as he did when he tried to force a carbon tax on Washington.

Ok. Isn't our system of government great?

He wants to run for president again and this BS bill is just to give him credibility with the ultra left that is taking over the DNC.
This sounds a lot like projection but regardless, dems would never vote Inslee in as president know matter many times the "ultra left" take over the DNC.

There are great advancement in both mining and recycling.

There you are also seeing a massive build out of renewable energy all across the world including Republican states.

There the range of electric cars is also already tens the daily commute so electric cars can be charged then there are the greatest supply of renewable energy and even act as energy storage. Thereby help to speed up the build out of cheap renewable energy.

All of those projections have proved to fail in Europe...and thats why they are going BACK to coal use.

If you think Im opposed to green energy, you are wrong. Big fan. But there is a mixed element of lunacy and sheer stupidity when you press mandates on unproven technology.

As I said it makes the most sense, and is probably the most feasible, in large metro areas.
Population of Washington is 7.6 million.
Population of the greater Seattle metro area is just under 4.1 million
So about half the state doesn’t meet your qualification of “makes the most sense”. Good thing we’ll have a one size fits all plan from our genius state Governor.

BTW, tax happy leftists...what happens to your taxes in Washington state when they impose the incentives that Norway is offering to entice people to buy electric?

-No vehicle purchase tax (a big levy which helps push up the average price for a vehicle in Norway to £43,000-£46,000, compared with an EU average of £26,000-£29,000)
-No VAT – usually 25%
-Zero road tax
-Free parking in some municipal car parks
-Reduced tax on company electric cars (at a lower rate than fossil-fuel vehicles)
-Reduced or free tolls in some areas
-Driving in a bus lane if carrying a passenger
-50% discount on some car parks, tolls and ferry fares

Of course...90% of Norways national revenue is generated from Oil sales...so...they can afford to be generous......

What makes you think I want to spend ~$100,000 for a new truck?

If I could do that, I'd have dropped the $60,000+ to do that now.

But like I said, I'll be retired in AZ by then.
AZ is our plan as well. We may buy a home there in the near future, so if we’re still in WA in 2030 and this stupid law is going to impact us, we’ll just register our vehicles at the AZ address.

What makes you think I want to spend ~$100,000 for a new truck?

If I could do that, I'd have dropped the $60,000+ to do that now.

But like I said, I'll be retired in AZ by then.
I would be the last to suggest spending that kind of money on a vehicle. I was just pointing out the capability to make an EV towing vehicle already exists. It's because an electric motor is way better for towing than an internal combustion engine. That superior torque is why Trains are hybrids and have been for many years.

Most likely though for people like us we will retrofit with an EV kit into our old trucks. I for one am not going to give up my 1960 1 ton Chevy Apache for anyone. ANd would have already made that retrofit if it were not for the price of batteries. But soon there will be a lot of used EV vehicles that one could cannibalize. The beauty of electric motors is that you can use more than one if you need more power. And no need for a transfer case for four-wheel drive.

BTW all new vehicles in the US must be electric by 2035. So Washington State is only moving that deadline 5 years in advance. Seems like a technological gamble that depends on many advancements being made in the next 8 years. I hope that it works out for Washington. I mean just like the incandescent light bulb and Cassette tapes; technology moves on making old technology extinct. Modern changes are hard for a lot of people but, you will be hard-pressed to find many people wanting to use primitive technology if they have access to modern technology. A machinist is not going to refuse to use a CNC machine if they have access and know how to use it.

I wonder if hybrids count as electric, at least on some models only electric motors drive the wheels?
It the law only allows pure battery electrics, then it is poorly considered of the idea of improving technology!

It’s like this dumb ass governor is trying to out leftist all the other leftist. This mandate from above declared by a man who acts like a king is an excellent example of Marxism in America. People in Washington that want a new car after 2030 don’t get to decide what to drive. Government decided that for them. Mao and Stalin look up from Hell and laugh approvingly.

“The bill says that all vehicles of the model year 2030 or later that are sold, purchased, or registered in the state must be electric.

The authoritarians politicians pushing this will likely be replaced.

OBYTHEWAY...13% of Washington State was considered at the poverty level in 2021. Apparently, the idiot left is content to deny middle income to poverty level families in Washington the freedom and ability to drive...unless of course they are going to buy them all e-cars and pay for their registration.

Calling Oprah Winfrey....YOU get a car...and YOU get a car...not you...you have to pay for their cars but YOU...and YOU....and YOU get a car.........

The authoritarians politicians pushing this will likely be replaced.
It's political grandstanding and the mandate will be defeated in court just as the inslee carbon tax was. Inslee has presidential aspirations and is building up his leftist resume.

they won't be whining about gas prices. In that amount of time the technology is going to be even better. In NM we are switching to 100% renewable energy, we have benefit of good amount of sun and wind.

It's the future not matter what oil and gas dick sucking conservatives have to lie and whine about

If climate change is a crisis why wait 8 years? That’s the question. Answer is it’s not a crisis and phasing in e cars in 8 years will be 8 years of rising carbon output by man. Obviously this mandate will do nothing to “stop climate change “.
1648600695965.png

OBYTHEWAY...13% of Washington State was considered at the poverty level in 2021. Apparently, the idiot left is content to deny middle income to poverty level families in Washington the freedom and ability to drive...unless of course they are going to buy them all e-cars and pay for their registration.

Calling Oprah Winfrey....YOU get a car...and YOU get a car...not you...you have to pay for their cars but YOU...and YOU....and YOU get a car.........

We have several large Native American reservations and populations. And they'll be driving whatever they want on their very large reservations.

Looking at the chart, I was thinking I wonder what percentage of the US has ether a bus or train stop within 1 mile?
Coverage is likely decent in many cities, but can only be justified in high population areas.
I think currently only about 5% of the population uses Public transportation to get to work, but more likely have access.

The vast majority of the state of Washington lies outside of the Seattle city limits. What works in the city won’t necessarily work in the farming areas.
Outside of the city limits, yes. But the Seattle metropolitan area is 52% of the states population.

I wonder if hybrids count as electric, at least on some models only electric motors drive the wheels?
It the law only allows pure battery electrics, then it is poorly considered of the idea of improving technology!
Certainly wouldn't want to, like, find out the answer to that.

Certainly wouldn't want to, like, find out the answer to that.
Good Point!
5974-S.E AMC CONF H2991.3
(a) The tax levied by RCW 82.08.020 does not apply as provided in 6 (b) of this subsection to sales or leases of new or used passenger 7 cars, light duty trucks, and medium duty passenger vehicles that: 8 (i) Are exclusively powered by a clean alternative fuel; or 9 (ii) Use at least one method of propulsion that is capable of 10 being reenergized by an external source of electricity and are 11 capable of traveling at least ((thirty)) 30 miles using only battery power;
It seems that many Plug in hybrids would meet that requirement.

Back
Top Bottom