• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Washington state plans to ban most non-electric vehicles by 2030

States are the testbeds of new ideas and all that.

It is new cars only. If you want a new car after 2030 it has to be electric. Your personal choice is null and void. Used cars will skyrocket in value and working class people won’t be able to buy a newer used car when their old beater blows up.
oops, I misread the article.

Life liberty pursuit of happiness

So then anything is legal...murder, rape, assault, robbery.

If you give me a stupid, flaccidly general answer, I'll call you out on it. So I did.

I think you mean the 9th.
I don't think so.

As to your valid point, the Constitution does not prohibit the mandate of banning most gas vehicles, then the states reserve the right to create those mandates via the 10th amendment.

If SCOTUS determines that banning gas vehicles is based on some other amendment, then they could ban the practice on the federal level under the authority of the 9th amendment...essentially making it an unenumerated right like abortion or presumption of innocence.

Feel free to correct me if my beliefs are messed up...I have had a few beers at the campfire after all.

I wont still be living here then but if I were, they better figure out which electric vehicles can carry my truck camper and haul my 3 horse trailer over mountain passes.

There will likely be a few by then, but the catch is that they will cost over $100K. Those intending to remain in WA should insist on a grandfather clause and buy a back-up tow vehicle (or two) before then.

There will likely be a few by then, but the catch is that they will cost over $100K. Those intending to remain in WA should insist on a grandfather clause and buy a back-up tow vehicle (or two) before then.
There's no indication that they wont allow (grandfather) in older vehicles in the legislation that I saw.

It’s like this dumb ass governor is trying to out leftist all the other leftist. This mandate from above declared by a man who acts like a king is an excellent example of Marxism in America. People in Washington that want a new car after 2030 don’t get to decide what to drive. Government decided that for them. Mao and Stalin look up from Hell and laugh approvingly.

“The bill says that all vehicles of the model year 2030 or later that are sold, purchased, or registered in the state must be electric.

Leftist stupidity beyond the pale. Good grief - they actually WANT to destroy this country.

The vast majority of the state of Washington lies outside of the Seattle city limits. What works in the city won’t necessarily work in the farming areas.
As I said it makes the most sense, and is probably the most feasible, in large metro areas.
Population of Washington is 7.6 million.
Population of the greater Seattle metro area is just under 4.1 million

There's no indication that they wont allow (grandfather) in older vehicles in the legislation that I saw.

Yep, but they would likely be limited to those already titled and registered in WA. That is why I would suggest having a backup (or two) in case the primary tow vehicle was ‘totaled’.

It’s like this dumb ass governor is trying to out leftist all the other leftist. This mandate from above declared by a man who acts like a king is an excellent example of Marxism in America. People in Washington that want a new car after 2030 don’t get to decide what to drive. Government decided that for them. Mao and Stalin look up from Hell and laugh approvingly.

“The bill says that all vehicles of the model year 2030 or later that are sold, purchased, or registered in the state must be electric.

It is the right decision for the future-----something Trumpers don't get....

Yep, but they would likely be limited to those already titled and registered in WA. That is why I would suggest having a backup (or two) in case the primary tow vehicle was ‘totaled’.

I have a Toyota too. I would have no issues owning an electric vehicle for around town, however there's none so far that would fulfill my needs for hauling. That's extremely common here...tons of people here haul boats and jet skis and snowmobiles and campers and horses over mtn passes...they will have to make accommodations for that and for farmers too. And of course many commercial businesses.

I foresee changes to the bill. We just had that happen here for something else really stupid. Thank God! They were going to take a certain % from every WA citizen's paycheck to go towards a great pool for elder care for a safety net for old people in the state.

It's a 'nice' idea but I have zero desire to retire here and that money would not serve me at all. I'm saving for my own retirement/care. At the last minute, even tho the bill had passed, it was brought up again and has been shelved for 'further discussion.'

Leftist stupidity beyond the pale. Good grief - they actually WANT to destroy this country.

How is trying to not ruin the environment more than we already have 'ruining the country'? Freedom?

Last edited:
I wont still be living here then but if I were, they better figure out which electric vehicles can carry my truck camper and haul my 3 horse trailer over mountain passes.
Get a diesel electric like a train. ;)

I think it's a dumb move but if that's what the people of Washington want to do I support their right to do it.

There are EV trucks already that can do what you need. A Rivian R1T has a towing capacity of 11,000 lbs.
The only problem right now is towing reduces how far the batteries will take you.

But GM has said that all of their trucks will be EV by 2035. So around then you will not be able to find the old technology of an internal combustible engine in new modern vehicles.

There are EV trucks already that can do what you need. A Rivian R1T has a towing capacity of 11,000 lbs.
The only problem right now is towing reduces how far the batteries will take you.

But GM has said that all of their trucks will be EV by 2035. So around then you will not be able to find the old technology of an internal combustible engine in new modern vehicles.

What makes you think I want to spend ~$100,000 for a new truck?

If I could do that, I'd have dropped the $60,000+ to do that now.

But like I said, I'll be retired in AZ by then.

Leftists are literally having their environmental policies driven by a half a mental case 16 year old.

I wonder if the people advocating for this fleet of electric cars have given thought to the reality that it will take mining lithium 42 times higher than the current rate just to secure the batteries for the cars they anticipate having. Or that they will absolutely be beholden on fossil fuels for the energy to charge those electric cars.

The vast majority of the state of Washington lies outside of the Seattle city limits. What works in the city won’t necessarily work in the farming areas.

80 percent of cars sold is already fully electric in the desolate northernmost part of Norway.

Leftists are literally having their environmental policies driven by a half a mental case 16 year old.

I wonder if the people advocating for this fleet of electric cars have given thought to the reality that it will take mining lithium 42 times higher than the current rate just to secure the batteries for the cars they anticipate having. Or that they will absolutely be beholden on fossil fuels for the energy to charge those electric cars.

There are great advancement in both mining and recycling.

There you are also seeing a massive build out of renewable energy all across the world including Republican states.

There the range of electric cars is also already tens the daily commute so electric cars can be charged then there are the greatest supply of renewable energy and even act as energy storage. Thereby help to speed up the build out of cheap renewable energy.

That is not the Constitution. It is in the declaration of independence and has no legal power.
This will be challenged in court and Inslee will lose just as he did when he tried to force a carbon tax on Washington. He wants to run for president again and this BS bill is just to give him credibility with the ultra left that is taking over the DNC.

STATES RIGHTS BABY!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom