• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Washington Post "Trump won the night. Schumer and Pelosi lost."

No doubt that is what you will do. You have shown yourself to be incapable of much rational thought. Have a nice evening.

How do you insult and wish someone a nice evening in the same breath? :lol:

I didn't reply above because what you wrote had nothing to do with what I opined no matter how badly you tried to make it look like it did.
Try for a little intellectual honesty, and I might begin to take what you say seriously.
If you wish not to heed my advice, I don't care.

The majority of the "cost and danger" from immigration (most of which arrives "legally" through ports of entry) is not from other crime and/or illegal drugs - it is from depressed (stagnant or declining) wages for employment which used to be able to support (well above the poverty level) not only the US worker but their dependents as well.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-fi-construction-trump/

Wages aren't falling because of immigration, it's because of having to compete with Chinese workers who get paid twenty times less than what a US worker used to earn for the same job.

Wages aren't falling because of immigration, it's because of having to compete with Chinese workers who get paid twenty times less than what a US worker used to earn for the same job.

Nonsense. Rest assured that what the Chinese employers pay folks to work in China has no impact on what construction, restaurant or retail sales workers are paid for working inside the US. Both immigration (legal or not) policy and the numerous "safety net" programs allow employers to pay lower wages than they would have to without those government imposed factors.

Oh, good grief.

The number of southern border apprehensions is down by 75% since the peak in 2000. Drugs aren't smuggled over fences, they are sneaked in via ports of entry. Undocumented immigrants commit fewer crimes than native-born Americans. So, the "crisis" that Trump is hyping is not real.

The real crises the authors are talking about are:
• The inability of our political system to address immigration
• The violence in nations like Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala which is driving families north
• Border enforcement that can't provide basic humane treatment, and ends up doing things like dumping asylum seekers on a bus depot in El Paso

It's not the most superbly written article I've ever seen, but... it really is not that hard to figure out.
Your aegument is with the WAPO.
You live by the WAPO you die by the WAPO.
Yours were opinion articles. The one I linked wasn't.

You're arguing for something that discourages even attempting to enter illegally. That's the purpose of a "Wall".

BTW, I've seem studies that appear to claim what you did that "Undocumented immigrants commit fewer crimes than native-born Americans" but the methodology of those studies wasn't clear.
Do you have one that shows the crime rate among native born Americans vs the crime rate among illegal immigrants?
Leaving aside the obvious 100% crime rate among illegal immigrants to start with.
Sometimes those studies conflate immigrants with illegal immigrants.
Sometimes they just lump all crime stats into one count and then split out the percentages of illegal immigrant criminals and native american criminals against the national total. (apparently like the one you referred to)
Sometimes they discount everything but violent crimes.

So do you have one like I asked for that clearly details the methodology used?

But regardless of the numbers, whatever crimes illegal immigrants committed here shouldn't have happened.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/donald-trump-delivers-a-wet-fart-oval-office-address?ref=home

The speech can most accurately be seen as the death twitch of The Wall cult. Trump can’t deliver a product, so he’s looking to sell something different.

He said it tonight; the idea of a glorious concrete wall from the Pacific to the Gulf of Mexico is deader than that lemur he glues on his head every morning. It will, at most, be a fence. This is not what Trump’s supporters voted for. They voted for his sales pitch of a 30-foot concrete wall with laser moats, robot alligators, and minefields, all paid for by Mexico.

Donald Trump, as even the slowest members of the class have now noticed, is a lying liar who lies.

Thank God.

If it wasn't for Trump, the GOP could go to hell just as much as Democrats.

No truer words.
Good to know that you realize Trump never pretended to be a conservative or one of the GOPers.
Trump is the symptom of what is wrong in WA. DC. with both parties.

If all was well, 16 mainstream GOPers should have been able to beat him.
If all was well, one Hillary Clinton, who was in the bag to win after riding her husband's coattails for how many years?, should have easily beat him.

Trump is the new face of the GOP.
The question is.. who is the "new face" of the Democratic Party and why haven't they shown their face yet?

How do you insult and wish someone a nice evening in the same breath? :lol:

I didn't reply above because what you wrote had nothing to do with what I opined no matter how badly you tried to make it look like it did.
Try for a little intellectual honesty, and I might begin to take what you say seriously.
If you wish not to heed my advice, I don't care.

You opined:
Mark Thiessen is not shy about his severe Trump critiques so when he opines, people listen.
Agree the O/P probably should not have been posted to breaking news.

Marc A. Thiessen: The 10 worst things Trump has done in his first year in office

I simply pointed out that Thiessen's piece was hardly a severe Trump critique. He listed 10 facts about Trump that any person alive already knew. It is not at all unusual for columnists of reputable newspapers to break with their label in order to report facts.

Whether or not you take me seriously or not is of no concern to me at all.

This is the most telling part of your citation:

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/opinions-trump-won-the-night-schumer-and-pelosi-lost/ar-BBRZLKt

That has always been the problem with many in "The Resistance," their unwillingness to see any glimmer of positivity...so steeped are they in their negative mindset regarding the "Great Liar" Trump.

Problem is that Democrats are wise to Trumps definition of compromise. "So what I demand or I am keeping the government shut down" That is not a compromise, that is hostage holding.

Your aegument is with the WAPO.
lol

1) Washington Post is not a monolithic entity, where every single article must toe the party line. While the paper is generally center-left, they run op-eds and hire columnists from across the spectrum and from different points of view. (That should already be clear from the reaction to the OP mistakenly calling Thiessen a "liberal" solely because he writes for the WaPo.) At any rate, I'm certainly not obligated to agree with everything they publish.

2) In this case, I'm not disagreeing with the authors all that much. I'm explaining to you an article that you apparently did not understand.

You're arguing for something that discourages even attempting to enter illegally. That's the purpose of a "Wall".
I'm arguing against something that will not keep out undocumented immigrants, will definitely not keep out drugs, and will be an environmental disaster to boot.

For example, the vast majority of undocumented immigrants entering the US aren't crossing the southern border. They are flying in (mostly from Asia) and overstaying their visas. Good luck stopping them with a wall.

By the way, if you really want to reduce the undocumented population in the US? Then relax border crossings and/or set up a guest worker program. Yep, that's right. Before we had extensive controls, undocumented immigrants would come to the US for a few months, work, and go home. When a government clamps down on the border, it makes it more difficult to come and go, and the result is that undocumented immigrants stay in the United States.

Another way to reduce the undocumented population? Stabilize the nations where immigrants are leaving or fleeing. For example, the vast majority of border crossings were Mexicans -- but as Mexico's economy improved, the number of Mexicans crossing fell dramatically, and now more Mexicans are leaving the US and going back to Mexico, than are immigrating to the US (with or without documentation). If you want to stop Hondurans from showing up in Tijuana? Then let's try to stabilize Honduras.

Thus, the real purpose of the wall isn't to keep out brown people. Its real purpose is as a political gesture, an oversimplified answer to a complex problem. It's a sop to nativists who are too stupid and/or don't know enough about immigration to realize it won't work. That's why the vast majority of Americans don't want it.

BTW, I've seem studies that appear to claim what you did that "Undocumented immigrants commit fewer crimes than native-born Americans" but the methodology of those studies wasn't clear.
I guess you didn't actually read them. Seems like a pattern.

This is from the Cato Group, which is a conservative think tank. And yes, they describe their methods.
https://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/irpb-4-updated.pdf

Here's another paper, which did a longitudinal study. It found that "undocumented immigration does not increase violence. Rather, the relationship between undocumented immigration and violent crime is generally negative." And yes, there's a whole section on data and methods.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/1745-9125.12175

While I would agree that more research is needed, it's not that hard to find reputable papers which explain their methodologies.

Leaving aside the obvious 100% crime rate among illegal immigrants to start with.
:roll:

Illegal entry to the US is a misdemeanor.

Oh, and all those families fleeing Central American and applying for asylum? They are legal immigrants. A refugee has the legal right to cross a border and stay in the US until their case is heard. If they're granted asylum, they are here legally. There is no legal requirement for them to apply in advance at a port of entry, and refugees requesting asylum is a basic human right.

But regardless of the numbers, whatever crimes illegal immigrants committed here shouldn't have happened.
And if Woody had gone straight to the police, none of this would have happened!!!

The reality is that we're not going to substantially reduce crime rates by kicking out all the undocumented immigrants. That's a xenophobic fantasy.

By the way, we should note that the impulse to kick people out, yeah, it just causes more problems. For example, Trump's favorite boogeyman, MS-13, actually started in the US and spread to Central America because they were getting deported. (They are also less than 1% of all gang members in the US, and responsible for less than 1% of all gang homicides.)

So, like I said: Undocumented immigrants coming to the US is not a crisis. The real crisis is the inability of the US to deal with immigration, violence in Central America, and inhumane border controls and detentions.

I'm pretty sure that the Democrats are ones who threw the monkey wrench into any compromise
You're not paying attention. Republicans held the House, the Senate and the Presidency before the shutdown and for roughly a week after the shutdown began. They had majorities in all three branches.

Stop posting lies.

Oh, and again, this:

Honest discussion isn't hard, but it has to start with not posting stupid things directly refuted by facts and video evidence.

Marc Thiessen is a Republican but you can't call him a big cheerleader of President Trump. If you did your research you would have found several of his opinion pieces have been quite critical of Trump.

Thiessen seems a little middle of the road to me. He wrote an article the 10 best things Trump has done and another the 10 worst.

I'd like to see more like him on both sides and less of the far right and left writers.

You're not paying attention. Republicans held the House, the Senate and the Presidency before the shutdown and for roughly a week after the shutdown began. They had majorities in all three branches.

Stop posting lies.

Oh, and again, this:

Honest discussion isn't hard, but it has to start with not posting stupid things directly refuted by facts and video evidence.

I agree. The House and Senate could have passed a budget in 15 minutes on December 30 and had it on President Trump's desk 15 minutes later. Instead they did nothing.

Thiessen seems a little middle of the road to me. He wrote an article the 10 best things Trump has done and another the 10 worst.

I'd like to see more like him on both sides and less of the far right and left writers.

The man looks at things with a good dose of common sense in his op-ed pieces. Something in short supply these days.

It does seem ironic that Democrats who clamor for higher wages for middle and lower class workers support the very thing that keeps those wages low.

There's simply no rational way to justify their actions.

And them Republicans. Boy! Screaming anti-immigrant rhetoric for decades while completely ignoring the criminals that hire illegals.

They're STILL doing it.

And you're mad at democrats.

You're free to offer a rebuttal if you want and I'm sure it will be a balanced piece.

You know, since you were such a staunch former conservative and you're Momma and Pappa were conservatives and you bled conservatism and whatever other horsesh** you want to blow out.

Tree was (and still is, as far as I know) a conservative. Arguing from a conservative perspective.

She just didn't drink the koolade.

Stop posting lies.

Oh, and again, this:

I am paying attention enough to know that the President has given the Democrats everything they wanted in the 2019 budget that required a good deal of compromise on his part. All that he has asked in return is meager funding so they can keep putting a fence/wall in critical places on the border.

The Democrats will not compromise or negotiate on a single thing regarding that despite the fact that they supported it before President Trump was elected. They are the ones who are putting political oneupmanship ahead of what is right for America and Americans. They are the ones who shut down the government.

I am paying attention
Then why are you posting lies? Why are you ignoring facts?

Source: President Trump Spiked an Immigration Compromise He Supported

There is a deal that Trump initially said he would support and then backed out of. "It would appropriate $25 billion for the wall and border security."

So, looking at the tally, Republicans had the House, the Senate and the Presidency for two years, including a week into the shutdown. In the middle of 2018, they were working on a deal to provide funding 5x what the President seeks now, but the President said no. Then, the President said he will happily shutdown the government. And now, the House, led by Democrats, is passing bills to re-open the government, which everyone agrees Senator McConnell will not allow to come to a vote in the Senate.

Only an idiot or a liar would blame the Democrats for the current shutdown. Are you one of those?

Also, just because it cannot be said enough:

Again, the blatant dishonesty of Trump supporters is something I can never understand.

Last edited:
lol

1) Washington Post is not a monolithic entity, where every single article must toe the party line. While the paper is generally center-left, they run op-eds and hire columnists from across the spectrum and from different points of view. (That should already be clear from the reaction to the OP mistakenly calling Thiessen a "liberal" solely because he writes for the WaPo.) At any rate, I'm certainly not obligated to agree with everything they publish.

2) In this case, I'm not disagreeing with the authors all that much. I'm explaining to you an article that you apparently did not understand.

I guess you didn't actually read them. Seems like a pattern.

This is from the Cato Group, which is a conservative think tank. And yes, they describe their methods.
https://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/irpb-4-updated.pdf

Here's another paper, which did a longitudinal study. It found that "undocumented immigration does not increase violence. Rather, the relationship between undocumented immigration and violent crime is generally negative." And yes, there's a whole section on data and methods.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/1745-9125.12175

While I would agree that more research is needed, it's not that hard to find reputable papers which explain their methodologies.

:roll:

Illegal entry to the US is a misdemeanor.

Oh, and all those families fleeing Central American and applying for asylum? They are legal immigrants. A refugee has the legal right to cross a border and stay in the US until their case is heard. If they're granted asylum, they are here legally. There is no legal requirement for them to apply in advance at a port of entry, and refugees requesting asylum is a basic human right.

And if Woody had gone straight to the police, none of this would have happened!!!

The reality is that we're not going to substantially reduce crime rates by kicking out all the undocumented immigrants. That's a xenophobic fantasy.

By the way, we should note that the impulse to kick people out, yeah, it just causes more problems. For example, Trump's favorite boogeyman, MS-13, actually started in the US and spread to Central America because they were getting deported. (They are also less than 1% of all gang members in the US, and responsible for less than 1% of all gang homicides.)

So, like I said: Undocumented immigrants coming to the US is not a crisis. The real crisis is the inability of the US to deal with immigration, violence in Central America, and inhumane border controls and detentions.

There are opinion articles and there are news articles. Granted, sometimes with WAPO it ain't easy to make that distinction. But in this case your 2 links were to opinions. My one was to news.
So what didn't I understand?

As far as helping to stop illegal immigration along the southern border (that's what we're talking about here), what do you know that the border patrol doesn't. They say they need the "wall".
Someone suggested appropriating the money and letting the BP decide the best way to spend it. How about that? That's essentially what the Dems want to avoid.
Would Chuck & Nancy do a better job?

I know what CATO is. CATO is an establishment conservative big business anti-Trump outfit. Their study is 4 years old and involves Texas stats and deception.
This piece does a nice job dismantling it (and others).
"The Cato study selectively sources data from the Texas Department of Public Safety (TDPS), and it notes that what we’re reading is the “[a]uthor’s analysis” of that data. In other words, Nowrasteh presents data in a way that suits his ends. Data analysts, like those in Cato’s salon, have an interest in producing specific results. Or as one data analyst says, “they know the results the analysis should find.” "
And it goes on about the subject in detail.
Yes, NPR: Illegal Immigration Does Increase Violent Crime - California Political Review

Your second link was vaporwrite and suffered from the same flaws as the CATO study.

No need for you to repeat for me what the Law permits.
I know already.
You're mistaken.
Refugee status is not the same as asylum status. If you enter illegally you're neither - you're an illegal immigrant.

The effect on the crime rate is a peculiarly cold detached way to look at it. Something someone would do when ideology is their motivation. Think in terms of the number of victims that didn't have to be.

There are opinion articles and there are news articles. Granted, sometimes with WAPO it ain't easy to make that distinction. But in this case your 2 links were to opinions. My one was to news.
I was linking to op-eds because I was responding to the OP, who started this thread by linking to an op-ed.

The Miroff/Nakamura article you linked isn't news, it's opinion.

So what didn't I understand?
Read post #90.

As far as helping to stop illegal immigration along the southern border (that's what we're talking about here), what do you know that the border patrol doesn't. They say they need the "wall".

• Border patrol doesn't say they want a huge concrete wall stretching from the Pacific to the Gulf. At best, some want to add physical barriers (mostly bollards with gaps) in selected areas. But for the most part, the areas that benefit from physical barriers already have them.
• As I've already pointed out: Southern border apprehensions are down by 75% since the peak in 2000
• As I've already pointed out: The vast majority of illegal entries to the US now are NOT from the southern border, it's people flying into the US and overstaying their visas
• As I've already pointed out: Most of the people crossing the southern border now are seeking asylum, and that means they aren't undocumented immigrants (once they start the asylum request process).

I know what CATO is. CATO is an establishment conservative big business anti-Trump outfit. Their study is 4 years old and involves Texas stats and deception.
The PDF I linked is from February 2018. Fail

This piece does a nice job dismantling it (and others).
It really doesn't.

1) It starts with a slur, accusing the author of bias. Always a good start...

2) It tries to deflect by asking "how many native-born were anchor babies?" Aside from the absurdity of the question, other studies show that 2nd generation immigrants break the law at the same rate as other native-born Americans.

3) It suggests that "chain migration" induces criminality, which is also rather absurd.

4) It attacks the study for focusing on convictions. The 2018 study includes arrests.

I could go on, but it really isn't worth it. The author is just throwing tacos at the wall, and hoping that something sticks.

Your second link was vaporwrite and suffered from the same flaws as the CATO study.
What is "vaporwrite?" The link is valid, I just checked it again. It uses a completely different method than the Texas study -- it uses estimations of populations of undocumented immigrants in areas, and compares it to crime rates as reported to the FBI's UCR. It doesn't even mention Texas or Nowrasteh.

If you enter illegally you're neither - you're an illegal immigrant.
Nope, nope, totally wrong. From the US Citizenship and Immigration Services site:

To obtain asylum through the affirmative asylum process you must be physically present in the United States. You may apply for asylum status regardless of how you arrived in the United States or your current immigration status. You must apply for asylum within one year of the date of their last arrival in the United States.[/quote] (emphasis added)
https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/refugees-asylum/asylum/obtaining-asylum-united-states

That's why asylum seekers cross the border illegally, and surrender to the first Border Patrol agents they can find.

Attempts by the administration to refuse to grant asylum to seekers who enter the US without papers, and not at ports of entry, are not doing well in the courts. A federal judge blocked the attempt on 11/20/2018; the 9th Circuit did the same on 12/12/2018. Irony of ironies, the shutdown has halted the lawsuit.

The effect on the crime rate is a peculiarly cold detached way to look at it. Something someone would do when ideology is their motivation. Think in terms of the number of victims that didn't have to be.
No, it's a rational way to look at it. Screeching about the handful of sensational cases where an undocumented immigrant (gasp!) breaks the law is just good ol' xenophobia, and an irrational assessment of risk.

I was linking to op-eds because I was responding to the OP, who started this thread by linking to an op-ed.

The Miroff/Nakamura article you linked isn't news, it's opinion.

Read post #90.

• Border patrol doesn't say they want a huge concrete wall stretching from the Pacific to the Gulf. At best, some want to add physical barriers (mostly bollards with gaps) in selected areas. But for the most part, the areas that benefit from physical barriers already have them.
• As I've already pointed out: Southern border apprehensions are down by 75% since the peak in 2000
• As I've already pointed out: The vast majority of illegal entries to the US now are NOT from the southern border, it's people flying into the US and overstaying their visas
• As I've already pointed out: Most of the people crossing the southern border now are seeking asylum, and that means they aren't undocumented immigrants (once they start the asylum request process).

The PDF I linked is from February 2018. Fail

It really doesn't.

1) It starts with a slur, accusing the author of bias. Always a good start...

2) It tries to deflect by asking "how many native-born were anchor babies?" Aside from the absurdity of the question, other studies show that 2nd generation immigrants break the law at the same rate as other native-born Americans.

3) It suggests that "chain migration" induces criminality, which is also rather absurd.

4) It attacks the study for focusing on convictions. The 2018 study includes arrests.

I could go on, but it really isn't worth it. The author is just throwing tacos at the wall, and hoping that something sticks.

What is "vaporwrite?" The link is valid, I just checked it again. It uses a completely different method than the Texas study -- it uses estimations of populations of undocumented immigrants in areas, and compares it to crime rates as reported to the FBI's UCR. It doesn't even mention Texas or Nowrasteh.

Nope, nope, totally wrong. From the US Citizenship and Immigration Services site:

To obtain asylum through the affirmative asylum process you must be physically present in the United States. You may apply for asylum status regardless of how you arrived in the United States or your current immigration status. You must apply for asylum within one year of the date of their last arrival in the United States.(emphasis added)
https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/refugees-asylum/asylum/obtaining-asylum-united-states

That's why asylum seekers cross the border illegally, and surrender to the first Border Patrol agents they can find.

Attempts by the administration to refuse to grant asylum to seekers who enter the US without papers, and not at ports of entry, are not doing well in the courts. A federal judge blocked the attempt on 11/20/2018; the 9th Circuit did the same on 12/12/2018. Irony of ironies, the shutdown has halted the lawsuit.

No, it's a rational way to look at it. Screeching about the handful of sensational cases where an undocumented immigrant (gasp!) breaks the law is just good ol' xenophobia, and an irrational assessment of risk.

You had a hanging close quote that I removed.

Nope. Opinion pieces are labelled opinion or analysis. Yours was. Mine wasn't.

And you're wrong again ... read post #89.

What you posted has the same problems as the CATO piece made to sound like a serious study. Vaporwrite. The CATO data was from 2015.

Refugee status is not the same as asylum status. Period.
Refugees
Refugee status is a form of protection that may be granted to people who meet the definition of refugee and who are of special humanitarian concern to the United States. Refugees are generally people outside of their country who are unable or unwilling to return home because they fear serious harm. For a legal definition of refugee, see section 101(a)(42) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

You may seek a referral for refugee status only from outside of the United States. For more information about refugees, see the Refugees section.

Asylum

Asylum status is a form of protection available to people who:

Meet the definition of refugee
Are already in the United States
Are seeking admission at a port of entry
You may apply for asylum in the United States regardless of your country of origin or your current immigration status. For more information about asylum status, see the Asylum section.

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/refugees-asylum

It's the same site as your link but you neglected to include the section contrasting the 2. We can only surmise why. They are not the same.

Right. Concern over crime is silly if you're not personally affected ... got it.

Last edited:
Tree was (and still is, as far as I know) a conservative. Arguing from a conservative perspective.

She just didn't drink the koolade.

Oh,

Sort of like Anna Navarro on the View?

Back
Top Bottom