• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Was Trump right to attack this judge?

• Total voters

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/04/u...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

The presiding judge in a lawsuit filed by former students of Trump University, he has been called a “hater” of Mr. Trump by the presumptive Republican presidential nominee himself. At a rally last week, Mr. Trump said the judge “happens to be, we believe, Mexican,” suggesting that he was biased because of Mr. Trump’s calls to build a wall along the border to prevent illegal immigration. Angry supporters have been calling the judge’s chambers.

Mr. Trump repeated his argument in an interview on Thursday. “I’m building the wall, I’m building the wall,” Mr. Trump said. “I have a Mexican judge. He’s of Mexican heritage. He should have recused himself, not only for that, for other things.”

The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia

I don't think he attacked the judge or he would have been arrested. He dud say some racially charged things about him, which only made Trump look bad. I personally appreciate it when people speak their minds, even if its offensive. I hate the PC culture for starters and secondly, when office seekers are less than candid about their true thoughts we end up with people being elected who got there by false perceptions.

I think, if the judge or his parents are from Mexico, that it's reasonable for Trump to ask the judge to recuse himself. I sincerely believe that, within our legal system in cases like this, even the PERCEPTION of bias should be avoided.

Good call, Maggie. But I don't believe it's just about his parents being from Mexico. There's also the matter of his affiliation with with La Raza. At a time when Trump is calling out illegals. As you say, even the perception should be avoided.

There are plenty of other judges to prosecute this one. Why set up grounds for appeal before the case has even been heard?

The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia

If the judge was a amnesty proponent and or associated with pro-amnesty groups like LaRaza or southern poverty center and pro-open borders groups I could see Trump having a valid reason to question the credibility of the judge. Questioning the judge's credibility simply for being of Mexican decent is not credible, not everyone of Mexican decent or a legal immigrant from Mexico supports amnesty/legal status for illegals or open borders.Although amnesty proponents would have everyone believe that everyone of Mexican decent is a amnesty supporter as their excuse for saying republicans should support amnesty.

He's fine questioning the potential bias. I don't like the way he did it, so I'll answer 'no' - he wasn't right to do it in the way that he did. But I'd also protect his freedom to be so asinine. Just because I don't like the guy or how he says his opinion doesn't mean he shouldn't have the right.

The judge was born in Indiana. The judge is as American as Trump. Trump was way out of line here. There is nothing to discuss here.

Trump is an absolute disaster.

If the judge was a amnesty proponent and or associated with pro-amnesty groups like LaRaza or southern poverty center and pro-open borders groups I could see Trump having a valid reason to question the credibility of the judge.

So could I.

But in so far as I am able to ascertain, Judge Curiel is not affiliated with any of those organizations or "ideologies" (for lack of a better term).

Curiel is a member of La Raza Lawyers of California, which according to the organization is simply a professional association of Chicano and Latino Lawyers in California.

I haven't been able to find any connection between that organization and the National Council of La Raza, nor have I found any association between Curiel and the National Council of La Raza.

The term "La Raza" isn't necessarially a common, so far as I know, term of ethnic or national pride and identification among Hispanic and Latino people but it isn't exactly unique to the National Council of La Raza either.

If Judge Curiel was associated with the latter, I could, as you say, see Trump questioning his credibility.

But if it's just the former it would seem to me that the guy would be good to go.

He is as American as a Boston Irishman who is a member of the Ancient Order of Hibernians.

I do have a few questions:

"..is a member of the Hispanic National Bar Association and other Latino organizations." Read more: Trump's Attack on California Judge's 'Conflict' Puts Spotlight on His Lawyers | National Law Journal

Is the judge a supporter of La Raza?
Does the judge believe in border enforcement?
Could the judge have issues with Trumps view of illegal aliens from Mexico that might result in a appeal due to lack of impartiality?

What is happening in this country is we are "dog whistled" into believing judges are something they aren't.

What they are is lawyers who wear funny robes that go to cocktail parties with other lawyers and rub elbows with politicians who promise promotions to appellate level for "good reasoning".

Please don't pretend judges are "all holy" and with out bias. They are flesh and blood and are not afraid to put a feather in their cap for their buddies who ultimately will promote them.

Well , if 20 million of his Country men and women could be deported how neutral could he be ??? A duh moment . :shock:

He was born in Indiana.

As a natural born American citizen I consider him my countryman.

Why you seem to think he has some overblown allegiance to recent or illegal Mexican immigrants, absent any actual evidence that he has such leanings, is emotional, irrational drivel.

I'm Irish and German in ethnicity and I could care less whether or not our government caters to those foreign national governments and I certainly don't have any interaction with or interest in resent immigrants, legal or otherwise, from those places.

I'm about as strong a Trump supporter as you're going to find her on DP (or anywhere else for that matter) but Trump simply dropped the ball here.

He heard the guy was associated with La Raza and didn't bother to find out exactly which La Raza that was, and then went off half-cocked.

It depends.

Has the judge ever referred to himself as a Mexican-American? If he has, he's demonstrated a potential for bias and Trump should make mention of that. If not, then Trump has no reason the worry about said bias.

Perhaps the real point is that he made the attack as Trump the businessman. He is now a Presidential candidate. It would be appropriate for him to establish a "Chinese wall" between the Trump organization and him while running for president.

Regarding the attack, if he knows the judge has an "open borders" bent, then it might be appropriate to mention that. To attack where his parents came from seems un American to me.

As I continued to think about this question, I stand by what I previously said: He was not right to do this, but he has the right to question bias.

What I further concluded, though, was that the Trump supporters need to seriously reconsider their position. Trump is concerned about negative bias due to religion and race, because of what he has said and what he supports. He is openly admitting that there is a justified reason for races and religions to be frustrated with him due to Trump's own biases. Otherwise, why would he fear judgement from them on a completely separate issue?

I certainly don't believe that you can be a bigot, and then choose to not let a judge do his job because he was one of those to whom you were bigoted against. Imagine that all we have to do to avoid judgement from a particular judge is stand against them politically.

If the judge was a "no name" neutral judge, we wouldn't have having this argument.

This is what is wrong with this county. You can't trust any branch of government anymore. Demand a fair shake and you are a "racist" and are supposed to run like hell.

From a moral perspective: no, of course not.

From a logical perspective: no, of course not.

From the GOP's perspective: YOU JERK! We were fine as long as we implied those sentiments between the lines. Now you've gone and said it directly.

If the judge was a "no name" neutral judge, we wouldn't have having this argument.

This is what is wrong with this county. You can't trust any branch of government anymore. Demand a fair shake and you are a "racist" and are supposed to run like hell.

demand a 'fair shake'?? And why would Trump believe that this man wouldn't be fair? Because he has a different political stance than Trump on the topic of immigration? I doubt there is a judge in the US that doesn't disagree with Trump on one topic or another. Under this logic, Trump could claim bias of any judge who disagrees with any of his political stances.

The most inflamatory issue right now is Mexican illegal immigration. The judge is a member of the associations lobbying for amnesty and more immigration.

To deny that is deny reality, be an opponent, or be a lawyer bound buy the legal code.

He's not fooling anyone.

Last edited:
He was born in Indiana.

Why you seem to think he has some overblown allegiance to recent or illegal Mexican immigrants, absent any actual evidence that he has such leanings, is emotional, irrational drivel.

I'm Irish and German in ethnicity and I could care less whether or not our government caters to those foreign national governments and I certainly don't have any interaction with or interest in resent immigrants, legal or otherwise, from those places.

I'm about as strong a Trump supporter as you're going to find her on DP (or anywhere else for that matter) but Trump simply dropped the ball here.

He heard the guy was associated with La Raza and didn't bother to find out exactly which La Raza that was, and then went off half-cocked.

And his parents ??? lol

He was born in Indiana.

What La Raza it is doesn't matter - La Raza literally means "The Race". Again, had he been white as a welsh coal miner and belonged to an org with the white race being in the title, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

And his parents..........yes? Go on.

Curiel was born in Indiana to Mexican-born parents — Who refers himself as Mexican-American judge !

the Republicans ran 75 guys and a token woman, and this is the best that they can do? FFS. Donald Trump makes Herman Cain look like John F. Kennedy.

the Democrats did just as lousy of a job in a different way. they ran one unappealing legacy candidate and then spent the rest of the primary calling for the other guy to drop out.

Back
Top Bottom