• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Was this guy fired, or did he resign?

• Total voters

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

Note the differences in wording between the headline and the text in the article.
Iowa police chief fired after lewd images found on computer

Iowa police chief fired after lewd images found on computer

DENISON, Iowa (AP) - A western Iowa police chief who'd been disciplined for lewd and offensive computer images has lost his job.

Mayor Dan Leinen said Thursday that he'd asked for Chief John Emswiler's resignation, which Emswiler submitted earlier in the day. Leinen says he'd sought Emswiler's exit for personnel reasons he wouldn't describe. The mayor denied reports that they were connected to the images found on the chief's computer.

A former Denison officer had reported that Emswiler had pictures of his staff on his computer and that Emswiler would use editing software to put "their heads on different stuff." The city attorney said the chief was disciplined and that the city considered the matter closed.

A public phone listing for Emswiler couldn't be found Friday.
"Firing" implies against the person's will. "Resigning" implies of the person's own free will and/or choice and desire.

Is this a "wink wink nod nod" situation where the person is effectively fired even though the technical process was otherwise?

Question #2: And regardless which, does the public have a right to know *why* the resignation was asked for?

Footnote: There are only two poll choices because it's either one or the other. Option C does not exist.

Note the differences in wording between the headline and the text in the article.

"Firing" implies against the person's will. "Resigning" implies of the person's own free will and/or choice and desire.

1.) Is this a "wink wink nod nod" situation where the person is effectively fired even though the technical process was otherwise?

2.) Question #2: And regardless which, does the public have a right to know *why* the resignation was asked for?

3.)Footnote: There are only two poll choices because it's either one or the other. Option C does not exist.

1.) Yes, when you are asked for your resignation its nothing more than a chance to not be fired on paper. Its a wink wink but everybody knows he was fired.
2.) they do not have the "right" to know but in certain cases i do think a person in that position records should be made public. Its a circumstantial thing.
If he was asked to resign because of a medical issue, nobody's business
if he was asked to resign because he is being investigated for illegal activities concerning the community and there could be MORE, id support that being made public but it wouldn't be a right to know.
3.) I disagree but i understand why you made it so. Technically he resigned, reality is he was fired. I think it's inaccurate to say there is no 3rd option. To me it would be like asking if a girl was raped or not based on whether she pressed charges or the rapist was found guilty. I think theres no 3rd option ONLY if the question is "was this guy fired or ASKED to resigned"

Last edited:
He was fired. Resigning saves money because usually when you fire you pay out. They asked for his resignation which means his stuff is forgiven. It isn't going to court. Asking for a resignation involves conditions usually a trade off.

A former Denison officer had reported that Emswiler had pictures of his staff on his computer and that Emswiler would use editing software to put "their heads on different stuff." The city attorney said the chief was disciplined and that the city considered the matter closed.

I imagine he got quite creative.

1.) Yes, when you are asked for your resignation its nothing more than a change to not be fired on paper. Its a wink wink but everybody knows he was fired.
2.) they do not have the "right" to know but in certain cases i do think a person in that position records should be made public. Its a circumstantial thing.
If he was asked to resign because of a medical issue, nobody's business
if he was asked to resign because he is being investigated for illegal activities concerning the community and there could be MORE, id support that being made public but it wouldn't be a right to know.
3.) I disagree but i understand why you made it so. Technically he resigned, reality is he was fired. I think it's inaccurate to say there is no 3rd option. To me it would be like asking if a girl was raped or not based on whether she pressed charges or the rapist was found guilty. I think theres no 3rd option ONLY if the question is "was this guy fired or ASKED to resigned"

Pretty much and this way the guy can seek future employment with another agency and keep his standing as a certified officer with the state.

Back
Top Bottom