• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Was This Acceptable? [W:110]

Was confiscating feminine hygrene products acceptable in this case?

• Total voters
Re: Was This Acceptable?

I don't really take those stories seriously. These days every movement, liberal or conservative, is going to have one of two negative elements: the super wackos who are so keyed into their ideology that they've lost all connection with how they appear to the outside world, and poes placed there in order to discredit the movement. As a result I'm more interested a)the message behind the movement and b)the overwhelming majority of characters involved in that movement.

You may be right:
DPS officers outside the Senate gallery and at each entrance to the Capitol told The Texas Tribune they had not seen or found jars containing feces or urine, and multiple officers throughout the Capitol said they had not heard of any jars being found until a reporter mentioned it. Several officers also said they had not heard anything on the DPS radio system about jars of any excrement.

Protesters Question Report on Confiscations | The Texas Tribune

I agree. It seems questionable and if it were confiscated, where are the pictures? We have pictures of tampons and snack food.

Has anyone seen images of feces and urine confiscated at the capitol building?

So, the story is going around, you probably have heard about it. Big abortion debate/vote in Texas yesterday, and on fears that some protesters might throw them into the assembly, tampons and pads where being confiscated before people could enter the viewing area.

View attachment 67150283

Supposedly the Texas legislature heard from somewhere that they might be possibly used to disrupt the proceedings. So my question is, do you find this action justifiable?

I don't see a problem with it. They confiscated tampons, big whoop.

No, it's not okay to take away someone's personal property because of what they might do with it.

Perhaps one glorious day in the future Texas will be part of the USA and respect the rights of their people........ even the female ones.

Oh, please. There was a rumor/threat that tampons would be thrown to disrupt the proceedings. All females were surely allowed to apply any tampons necessary before having the remainder confiscated.

Big ****ing deal.

Seriously, if this constitutes sexism, then your entire position is a farce.

You may be right:

I agree. It seems questionable and if it were confiscated, where are the pictures? We have pictures of tampons and snack food.

So none of the officers recall jars with feces or urine. I don't know about anyone else, but that's the sort of thing I'd remember seeing.

I think it's effing ridiculous. They are personal hygiene products that people need, it was completely inappropriate to confiscate them.
In a public setting? Or are you under the impression they were not returned to the women upon leaving the room?

You may be right:

Not everything will be captured on photo or video in the moment, and in case a few full-fledged protesters were planning something, I would not expect the group as a whole to denounce the actions of a few. Of course, it is entirely possible for something less than genuine from the authorities to happen.

Turning the legislature into a mockery, as you said, would be wrong. That being said, the confiscation was at the very least idiotic and damaging publicly (not that it will be remembered long from now, however).

Not everything will be captured on photo or video in the moment, and in case a few full-fledged protesters were planning something, I would not expect the group as a whole to denounce the actions of a few. Of course, it is entirely possible for something less than genuine from the authorities to happen.

Turning the legislature into a mockery, as you said, would be wrong. That being said, the confiscation was at the very least idiotic and damaging publicly (not that it will be remembered long from now, however).

As Spud said, "Acceptable, yes. But hilarious and ill-considered."

I answered against it.

So you believe it was unacceptable on the basis of it being damaging to the senate's image?

If someone decided to start throwing them then remove them from the area and charge them with I don't know assault with a soft object? :shrug:

Disorderly conduct.

So, the story is going around, you probably have heard about it. Big abortion debate/vote in Texas yesterday, and on fears that some protesters might throw them into the assembly, tampons and pads where being confiscated before people could enter the viewing area.

Supposedly the Texas legislature heard from somewhere that they might be possibly used to disrupt the proceedings. So my question is, do you find this action justifiable?

Yes.
I do find this action justifiable.

So you believe it was unacceptable on the basis of it being damaging to the senate's image?

Partly that basis, yes.

Um.... no. Not okay at all. That is a very illegal search and seizure. And of items that these women are completely legally allowed to have. There is no legal way to justify this crap.

I would expect the Texas legislators to get images from DPS in order to propagate the story and legitimately discredit the protestors or at the least counter the images of them confiscating individual tampons and snack food.

I would expect the Texas legislators to get images from DPS in order to propagate the story and legitimately discredit the protestors or at the least counter the images of them confiscating individual tampons and snack food.

I'd leave that to the Breitbarts of the world. Tweets and statements is usually good enough for legislators.

Perhaps the women who collected feces and urine will grow up and have a little self-respect. Then they can work on respect for others. In the meantime and irrespective of whatever the issue happens to be, you can't throw stuff at your elected reps while they're going about their work.

Ahh the good ol' try and make it an equivalent! :roll:

I fully understand stopping the feces/urine carriers but the tampon carrying women? It shows me how cowardly the Texas GOP leaders are- they are afraid of some cotton and cardboard! the 'don't want the citizenry to make a scene' crap is just that, those women can yell and stomp their feet and create a media scene... should the screeners make females remove shoes and wear muzzles into the gallery?

I sort of thought 'conservatives' were against punishing citizens for what they MIGHT do, like the FaceBook teen who posted the 'joke' about taking out a kindergarten full of children, or Kokesh for just talking a little revolution, firearm owners, poor defenseless high cap mags... :confused:

I fully agree you shouldn't throw crap at the legislatures unless you are a lobbyist and it is money, however I'm sure just like any other low misdemeanor these ladies will pay the fine for their hurling a bit of cotton onto the chamber floor.... :)

Course the allowing 'guns' into the building doesn't apply to the citizens who elected these craven representatives, we the people can't carry firearms in, only the legislators and their protective details... :doh

Yes, let's see what their "image" department can "come up" with. ;)

I'm sure their crack team of expert bloggers and brilliant political reporters can get the job done.

chimp(1).jpg

Um.... no. Not okay at all. That is a very illegal search and seizure. And of items that these women are completely legally allowed to have. There is no legal way to justify this crap.
You'll have to expand on that thought. Are you insinuating that items legally owned cannot be barred from public settings such as state legislatures? Does that include Cameras? Knives? Firearms?

So none of the officers recall jars with feces or urine. I don't know about anyone else, but that's the sort of thing I'd remember seeing.

Ummm, yeah and as a person charged with removing such items, I would think the memory would be quite vivid along with a good story recounting the seizure of said urine and feces. Descriptions, actions, possibly an arrest for possible intent? They did arrest women for carrying signs in the gallery.

You'll have to expand on that thought. Are you insinuating that items legally owned cannot be barred from public settings such as state legislatures? Does that include Cameras? Knives? Firearms?

Are you really comparing a tampon to a knife or a gun?

I am insinuating nothing. I am saying, very clearly, that a "rumor that something might be thrown" does not satisfy the legal requirements to search someone and seize an object that, in any other circumstance, poses no inherent threat nor violates an existing statute. The three examples you chose, obviously, do not fit that description. But you knew that, didn't you?

In a public setting? Or are you under the impression they were not returned to the women upon leaving the room?

I understand that you, being a guy, don't understand a lot about menstruation, but the need to "change" is not set by somebody's watch. What happens if a woman needs to change during the setting? Is she supposed to get up and ask for a tampon? Or wait 'til the end, and hope for the best?

I am insinuating nothing. I am saying, very clearly, that a "rumor that something might be thrown" does not satisfy the legal requirements to search someone and seize an object that, in any other circumstance, poses no inherent threat nor violates an existing statute. The three examples you chose, obviously, do not fit that description. But you knew that, didn't you?
Water bottles were confiscated, as were food and other objects that could be used to disrupt the proceedings and not usually considered to be dangerous. I'm not aware of the limitations placed upon the items they can legally confiscate. It seemed you were basing your argument upon the legality of the item, hence the curiosity.

Back
Top Bottom