• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Was the first Iraq War worth it?

SonOfDaedalus

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
The First Iraq War Was Also Sold to the Public Based on a Pack of Lies

As Scott Peterson reported for The Christian Science Monitor in 2002, a key part of the first Bush administration’s case “was that an Iraqi juggernaut was also threatening to roll into Saudi Arabia. Citing top-secret satellite images, Pentagon officials estimated in mid-September [of 1990] that up to 250,000 Iraqi troops and 1,500 tanks stood on the border, threatening the key US oil supplier.”

A quarter of a million troops with heavy armor amassed on the Saudi border certainly seemed like a clear sign of hostile intent. In announcing that he had deployed troops to the Gulf in August 1990, George HW Bush said, “I took this action to assist the Saudi Arabian Government in the defense of its homeland.” He asked the American people for their “support in a decision I’ve made to stand up for what’s right and condemn what’s wrong, all in the cause of peace.”

But one reporter — Jean Heller of the St. Petersburg Times — wasn’t satisfied taking the administration’s claims at face value. She obtained two commercial satellite images of the area taken at the exact same time that American intelligence supposedly had found Saddam’s huge and menacing army and found nothing there but empty desert.

She contacted the office of then-Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney “for evidence refuting the Times photos or analysis offering to hold the story if proven wrong.” But “the official response” was: “Trust us.”

Heller later told the Monitor’s Scott Peterson that the Iraqi buildup on the border between Kuwait and Saudi Arabia “was the whole justification for Bush sending troops in there, and it just didn’t exist.”

And the story about dead babies thrown out of incubators was bogus.

I remember, I was a Republican back then but I didn't think the war was necessary. Hussein would have backed down. And Saudi Arabia wasn't worth saving.

Without the first Iraq war, there is no 9/11 and no G.W. Bush Iraq invasion and probably no ISIS.

I remember, I was a Republican back then but I didn't think the war was necessary. Hussein would have backed down. And Saudi Arabia wasn't worth saving.

Without the first Iraq war, there is no 9/11 and no G.W. Bush Iraq invasion and probably no ISIS.

We haven't been in a war that was worth it since WWII aside from perhaps intervening in the Bosnia genocide.

There's one we should've gotten into that we didn't... Rwanda. But we didn't have any corporate interests there so... genocide away.

Hindsight is always clear. There were messages and positions taken that gave Saddam Hussein the impression that there would be no blowback to Iraq’s beef with Kuwait. Much as the present Administration seems to send mixed messages to the rest of the world.
There are consequences for every action on the world stage.

who was going to make hussien back down? he was doin the exact opposite.

The first war was worth it... can't judge it by unintended consequences after the fact.

We haven't been in a war that was worth it since WWII aside from perhaps intervening in the Bosnia genocide.

There's one we should've gotten into that we didn't... Rwanda. But we didn't have any corporate interests there so... genocide away.

But by the OP's logic WWII was not worth it either... it gave us the Cold War, Korea, Vietnam, the Arms Race, etc.

who was going to make hussien back down? he was doin the exact opposite.

Have no issues with the first Iraq war. It was just and had a defined mission based on geopolitical reality. Big problems with the 2nd which was a cluster from jump street. Without an exit strategy even winning is losing and 43 didn't have an exit strategy. 41 didn't have an exit strategy for going all the way to Bagdad either. The dif is that 41 knew the relevance of not having one and 43 didn't. Plus 43 was not strong enough to push back on the raging hawks in his administration including idiot John Bolton.

Have no issues with the first Iraq war. It was just and had a defined mission based on geopolitical reality. Big problems with the 2nd which was a cluster from jump street. Without an exit strategy even winning is losing and 43 didn't have an exit strategy. 41 didn't have an exit strategy for going all the way to Bagdad either. The dif is that 41 knew the relevance of not having one and 43 didn't. Plus 43 was not strong enough to push back on the raging hawks in his administration including idiot John Bolton.

43 did have an exit strategy and as obama stated all the time, he followed the exact timeline

But by the OP's logic WWII was not worth it either... it gave us the Cold War, Korea, Vietnam, the Arms Race, etc.

WWII did not cause the Cold War and whether or not we got involved wouldn't have changed Russia's involvement.

Our problems with the Middle East have a lot to do with our involvement in the region.

Yes it was... But the 2nd???? Thanks to Cheney and his merry band of NeoCons.... NO!!! It made a mess that won't be fixed for generations, if ever.

Fascinating how often Republicans F things up, but their base just keeps blindly voting for them.

WWII did not cause the Cold War and whether or not we got involved wouldn't have changed Russia's involvement.

...and our involvement in Iraq '91 did not cause the 2nd war or ISIS.

That is why I said "by his logic".

Screenshot (3)-800x600.jpg

I was there. My unit was attached to the 1st Cavalry Division. We spent most of our time before the ground war at Hafir al Batin and a couple months after the ground war at KKMC. Believe me...the Iraqi Army was all over the border between Iraq and SA and between Kuwait and SA.

What surprised many was that Saddam did not invade Saudi. Pretty clear sailing.

Saddam invaded Kuwait. That part seems to be missing in the OP. Gulf 1 was a UN war. It was initiated and we were obligated via UNSCR.

Last edited:
Yes it was... But the 2nd???? Thanks to Cheney and his merry band of NeoCons.... NO!!! It made a mess that won't be fixed for generations, if ever.

Fascinating how often Republicans F things up, but their base just keeps blindly voting for them.

Kennedy - Vietnam 58,000 dead.

Clinton - Black Hawk Down. Masquerading as relief while searching for a war lord?

H. Clinton - Allowing a US Consulate building in a very unsecured location.

Carter - Sending helo's into a sand storm for a rescue mission. :lamo

It's funny how you post blindly about these issues.

Kennedy - Vietnam 58,000 dead.

Clinton - Black Hawk Down. Masquerading as relief while searching for a war lord?

H. Clinton - Allowing a US Consulate building in a very unsecured location.

Carter - Sending helo's into a sand storm for a rescue mission. :lamo

It's funny how you post blindly about these issues.

Reagan 200+ Marines dead in Lebanon.

I never said Dems didn't make mistakes. But most Dem voters hold Dems accountable. You know like getting us OUT of Vietnam.

And your Clinton jab is straight out of Right wing Fox News BS. Shame on you.

Reagan 200+ Marines dead in Lebanon.

I never said Dems didn't make mistakes. But most Dem voters hold Dems accountable. You know like getting us OUT of Vietnam.

And your Clinton jab is straight out of Right wing Fox News BS. Shame on you.

I was there, were you?

Please stop with your usual ignorant sanctimonious nonsense.

Where? You're the one using Fox talking points and sounding foolish.

You are the one that has the facts about Mogadishu out of whack while pretending to act so superior as usual.

We were intervening in a crisis while looking for a warlord under the guise of food relief.

Thank you Bill Clinton and William Perry......................and blind worshipers like yourself.

I can't speak for others but IMO, stopping genocides is a good thing.

You are the one that has the facts about Mogadishu out of whack while pretending to act so superior as usual.

We were intervening in a crisis while looking for a warlord under the guise of food relief.

Thank you Bill Clinton and William Perry......................and blind worshipers like yourself.

Actually I was talking about Benghazi and the 4 years of outrage from Republicans and their Fox masters and investigations that found nothing.

Turn off Fox and think for yourself. You might like it.

I have no strategic/tactical bones to pick about the First Gulf War.

Actually I was talking about Benghazi and the 4 years of outrage from Republicans and their Fox masters and investigations that found nothing.

Turn off Fox and think for yourself. You might like it.

Oh...your still here?

Psssst! I don't watch Fox.

I have no strategic/tactical bones to pick about the First Gulf War.

Bush activated my unit and we went over there. I'm very proud of my service but... we didn't belong over there.

Back
Top Bottom