• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Was the attack on the Capitol an attempted coup?

Was the attack on the Capitol an attempted amateurish coup?

• My groin sometimes hurts when I think too much, so I’ll abstain.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
No, that sums it up nicely. I go to right wing web sites every day to read the comments. Its pretty clear how they think and as I have said here many times, this country still has a racism problem. You might want to think deeply on it yourself since you call yourself a conservative.
I was giving my own opinion. If you want to be the mouthpiece for others with a different opinion that’s fine, but don’t try to pretend that’s what I’m referring to.

No, not by any real definition. For the vast majority of participants it was trespassing. Hopefully they can track down those that engaged in vandalism and physical confrontations with police. Apparently an envelope was stolen as well.

More American citizens have now died in this coup attempt than died during the Benghazi incident.

No, not by any real definition. For the vast majority of participants it was trespassing. Hopefully they can track down those that engaged in vandalism and physical confrontations with police. Apparently an envelope was stolen as well.
You also need to address the motivations of the man who sent the crowd there. The crowd were just tools.

I don’t agree that just breaking into the building indicated an intent to take over the government. I don’t know what speech you’re referring to.

It was the reason so many of the legislators were apprehensive about the session that day. One rep made sure her will was available that morning for her husband, another called all her love ones the night before....
Pence brought his family with him as he feared for their safety in trying to get to him.

If you were unaware you were not paying attention.

It was the reason so many of the legislators were apprehensive about the session that day. One rep made sure her will was available that morning for her husband, another called all her love ones the night before....
Pence brought his family with him as he feared for their safety in trying to get to him.

If you were unaware you were not paying attention.
The actions of the people in the building speaks to their individual concerns, not to the intent of the rioters.

This is pretty much where I land as well. A coup would have been more organized and there would have been a lot more weapons. I think that for the most part, this was dumbassery on parade. I also agree that anyone who violated any laws should be investigated and prosecuted.

Incompetence doesn’t mean it wasn’t a coup. It absolutely was. Trump incited and facilitated an insurrection and both he and Giuliani were calling Senators to demand they somehow overturn the election while the Capitol was under siege and refused to send the National Guard.

The actions of the people in the building speaks to their individual concerns, not to the intent of the rioters.

yes, the were concerned about the expected coup attempt

How could everyone know the intent of the assault but not those assaulting?

Come on man, this is silliness.

yes, the were concerned about the expected coup attempt

How could everyone know the intent of the assault but not those assaulting?

Come on man, this is silliness.
You assume intent based on peripheral anecdotes. The actions of the rioters don’t support that in my opinion.

You have your opinion and I have mine. We’ll have to see what the rioters are charged with.

Of course it was.

I was giving my own opinion. If you want to be the mouthpiece for others with a different opinion that’s fine, but don’t try to pretend that’s what I’m referring to.

You know what you sound like? The nice guy at the klan rally who is there because he wants to preserve his culture but has no interest in lynching black people. So he pretends he is a good person even though he is still a klansman.

You know what you sound like? The nice guy at the klan rally who is there because he wants to preserve his culture but has no interest in lynching black people. So he pretends he is a good person even though he is still a klansman.
Thanks for your input.

Thanks for your input.

You may not know it yet but whatever you thought it meant to be a conservative is gone. Its over rover, you might as well call yourself a Whig.

I didnt really think so, but as more info comes out, I have to wonder if it wasnt an incompetent attempt.

1. Capitol Police were completely and mysteriously unprepared, even though they knew a large crowd with violent rhetoric was going to be there.
2. Help was refused several times while the event was being planned - the FBI, etc. When the other BLM protests happened, Park Police, other federal branches were mobilized.
3. As the Capitol was breached, there was no response from the WH and DoD (which Trump stripped the leadership of, mysteriously, right after the election) for hours. Reportedly, people were roaming the Capitol looking specificially to ‘get’ Mike Pence and Nancy Pelosi.
4. When the order to mobilize the NG was given, it came reportedly from PENCE, not Trump.
5. The secretary of the Army was the one who gave the order to mobilize the MD Guard, not the usual channels.
6. We came pretty close to having a mob take out the next three replacements for the President - the VP, and Speaker.
Of course, this is a bit of a half assed and incompetent coup attempt, which would be exactly what you would expect from an incompetent president.

Seems odd.

Incompetent attempt, by an unqualified President, aided by his incompetent son and a hopefully soon to be disbarred and indicted attorney who put their combined faith in the trailer park crowd to salvage their failed reign of terror on the American people.

I could be cruel, but chose to put this statement in the nicest possible terms.

If you think that was an intelligent response, then you must be a conservative. My lord.

And, for some it was a chance to sniff out Pence, Pelosi and McConnell so they could string them up. We heard the tapes. Maybe you haven't...I can see why the Right Wing handlers will not allow their flock to hear that sort of thing.

I didnt really think so, but as more info comes out, I have to wonder if it wasnt an incompetent attempt.

1. Capitol Police were completely and mysteriously unprepared, even though they knew a large crowd with violent rhetoric was going to be there.
2. Help was refused several times while the event was being planned - the FBI, etc. When the other BLM protests happened, Park Police, other federal branches were mobilized.
3. As the Capitol was breached, there was no response from the WH and DoD (which Trump stripped the leadership of, mysteriously, right after the election) for hours. Reportedly, people were roaming the Capitol looking specificially to ‘get’ Mike Pence and Nancy Pelosi.
4. When the order to mobilize the NG was given, it came reportedly from PENCE, not Trump.
5. The secretary of the Army was the one who gave the order to mobilize the MD Guard, not the usual channels.
6. We came pretty close to having a mob take out the next three replacements for the President - the VP, and Speaker.
Of course, this is a bit of a half assed and incompetent coup attempt, which would be exactly what you would expect from an incompetent president.

Seems odd.

I think you are right that this was an in-the-moment half-assed and incompetent coup attempt, but the problem is in your item number 6: succession.

From President it goes to (1) Vice President, (2) Speaker of the House, and (3) President Pro Tempore of the Senate. Two of these are Republicans, Pence and Chuck Grassley, both enablers of Trump nation.

Thus, taking them out makes no sense.

Yes! This was a botched coup attempt. The evidence is mounting everything from local police including Capital Police stepping aside and letting the intruders roam the halls virtually unimpeded, the extremely unusually lengthy delay in mobilizing NC units not to mention the break in the chain of command, the mob knowing precisely where high ranking members of Congress worked other than just their offices. Too many extremely suspect events for things to just be conicidental.

Eventually, heads will start to roll and when they do...I want to be in the room where it happens.

You also need to address the motivations of the man who sent the crowd there. The crowd were just tools.

He could give a rat's ass about these people. These people will not any time soon receive an invitation for all expense trip to Mar-A-Lago resort.

Just as Trump has turned on Pence now he would easily call the police if these protestors showed up on his resort.

I think you are right that this was an in-the-moment half-assed and incompetent coup attempt, but the problem is in your item number 6: succession.

From President it goes to (1) Vice President, (2) Speaker of the House, and (3) President Pro Tempore of the Senate. Two of these are Republicans, Pence and Chuck Grassley, both enablers of Trump nation.

Thus, taking them out makes no sense.
The mob hated Pence for not doing Trumps bidding. Grassley would be what was standing between Trump and Pompeo (or Ivanka, who could have been immediately promoted).

You Gotta think like a third world dictator to understand.

No, it was a really frightening demonstration and a hard lesson of the dangers of discounting mob violence. It was a riot of out of control idiots who broke into the Capitol because they wanted to intimidate US senators and representatives over certifying the presidential and vice presidential election results which they cannot accept as reality.

How about an election coup?

Did you see the gallows?!

Back
Top Bottom