• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Was the attack on the Capitol an attempted coup?

Was the attack on the Capitol an attempted amateurish coup?

• My groin sometimes hurts when I think too much, so I’ll abstain.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Threegoofs

Sophisticated man-about-town
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
The city Fox News viewers are afraid to travel to
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I didnt really think so, but as more info comes out, I have to wonder if it wasnt an incompetent attempt.

1. Capitol Police were completely and mysteriously unprepared, even though they knew a large crowd with violent rhetoric was going to be there.
2. Help was refused several times while the event was being planned - the FBI, etc. When the other BLM protests happened, Park Police, other federal branches were mobilized.
3. As the Capitol was breached, there was no response from the WH and DoD (which Trump stripped the leadership of, mysteriously, right after the election) for hours. Reportedly, people were roaming the Capitol looking specificially to ‘get’ Mike Pence and Nancy Pelosi.
4. When the order to mobilize the NG was given, it came reportedly from PENCE, not Trump.
5. The secretary of the Army was the one who gave the order to mobilize the MD Guard, not the usual channels.
6. We came pretty close to having a mob take out the next three replacements for the President - the VP, and Speaker.
Of course, this is a bit of a half assed and incompetent coup attempt, which would be exactly what you would expect from an incompetent president.

Seems odd.

Welp, it looks like a foreign newspaper has chimed in.

LOL @ Coup Klux Klan.

7209215E-288D-4F27-876C-34E309D5559C.jpeg

I didnt really think so, but as more info comes out, I have to wonder if it wasnt an incompetent attempt.

1. Capitol Police were completely and mysteriously unprepared, even though they knew a large crowd with violent rhetoric was going to be there.
2. Help was refused several times while the event was being planned - the FBI, etc. When the other BLM protests happened, Park Police, other federal branches were mobilized.
3. As the Capitol was breached, there was no response from the WH and DoD (which Trump stripped the leadership of, mysteriously, right after the election) for hours. Reportedly, people were roaming the Capitol looking specificially to ‘get’ Mike Pence and Nancy Pelosi.
4. When the order to mobilize the NG was given, it came reportedly from PENCE, not Trump.
5. The secretary of the Army was the one who gave the order to mobilize the MD Guard, not the usual channels.
6. We came pretty close to having a mob take out the next three replacements for the President - the VP, and Speaker.
Of course, this is a bit of a half assed and incompetent coup attempt, which would be exactly what you would expect from an incompetent president.

Seems odd.
It was both an incompetent and disorganized coup attempt, and a terrorist attack.

That said, if terrorists win, they become successful revolutionaries.

*waves hand vaguely at the revolutionary war*

No, not by any real definition. For the vast majority of participants it was trespassing. Hopefully they can track down those that engaged in vandalism and physical confrontations with police. Apparently an envelope was stolen as well.

No, not by any real definition. For the vast majority of participants it was trespassing. Hopefully they can track down those that engaged in vandalism and physical confrontations with police. Apparently an envelope was stolen as well.

We're at a time when people are being killed by police for holding a phone in their own home but apparently being part of a violent mob storming what should be one of the most secure buildings in the US is only a problem if they themselves are violent?
Everyone in that mob deserves to spend time in court and face criminal punishment.

We're at a time when people are being killed by police for holding a phone in their own home but apparently being part of a violent mob storming what should be one of the most secure buildings in the US is only a problem if they themselves are violent?
Everyone in that mob deserves to spend time in court and face criminal punishment.
That's just dumb.

Sorry.

Doesn't even address my comment. Where did I say, "No problemo!"?

Seems odd.

Is the pope Catholic?
Do bears shit in the woods?

Wow.

No, it was a really frightening demonstration and a hard lesson of the dangers of discounting mob violence. It was a riot of out of control idiots who broke into the Capitol because they wanted to intimidate US senators and representatives over certifying the presidential and vice presidential election results which they cannot accept as reality.

The riotous protesters failed miserably. They only delayed the certifications by about 12 hours. They alienated most Americans from having any sympathy or tolerance for their cause. They declawed idiots like President Trump and Rudy Giuliani who egged them on and who will now hopefully reap the whirlwind for their hot air which set this riot into motion. They have ensured that many of their most zealous members will spend years in jail for their trespasses. They have devastated the credibility of the Republican Party which cynically tried to ride their coat-tails to stave off demographic irrelevence and enabled the Trumpist fools whose folly brought America to this embarrassing but pivotal crossroad. I hope that prosecutions of Mr. Trump, after he loses his protection from prosecution as President, and all those public figures who have been whipping up Mr. Trump's most radical followers to riot (by trying to legitimise their most dangerous delusions and their most misplaced allegiance to a false messiah and to the Rule of Man rather than the Rule of Law) happen in accordance with due process.

I hope January 6th, 2021 goes down as a great day in American history. It will never be a good day, especially for the families and friends of those killed or badly wounded in the course of this appaling riot. It will never be a good day for the momentary horror, the lingering shock and the hard lessons it will force all Americans to learn. But I think we have to acknowledge that representative democracy, American republican ideals and the institutions of the American state all survived the day intact and that they will hopefully be stronger for it. That is a great list of benefits I think. The apathy and indifference of government officials, bureaucrats and most importantly voters has received a powerful, jolting shock and hopefully all Americans will wake up to the idea that their political decisions in executive branches, in legislatures, in senates, in the bureaucracies of the state, in party caucuses, during elections and at the ballot boxes all matter greatly and can have grievous consequences if not taken carefully.

Cheers, be well and be wiser.
Evilroddy.

Last edited:
This is pretty much where I land as well. A coup would have been more organized and there would have been a lot more weapons. I think that for the most part, this was dumbassery on parade. I also agree that anyone who violated any laws should be investigated and prosecuted.

And five people died and many other ended up in the hospital, yeup just touring the Capital, good grief.

Well, let's see, coup, "a sudden, violent, and illegal seizure of power from a government."

Was it sudden? No. It was planned and encouraged for a month.
Was it violent? Yes.
Was it an attempted illegal seizure of government? Yes.

This is pretty much where I land as well. A coup would have been more organized and there would have been a lot more weapons. I think that for the most part, this was dumbassery on parade. I also agree that anyone who violated any laws should be investigated and prosecuted.

you ignore intent

Translation: The vast majority of white Americans saw patriots not terrorists just like when BLM protestors lined up in the streets they correctly saw terrorists not patriots.

Seems odd.
It's only a coup if it's from the coup d'etat region of france, otherwise it's just sparkling white nationalism

A coup need not be well organized or planned or successful. They stormed the halls of congress and some intended to kidnap some of its members, hold them hostage, destroy the Electoral Ballots, force Congress to elect Trump.

So yes I'd say it was a very shitty and poorly planned and executed coup.

Can you link to any intent communicated by the mob who broke into the capitol building?

Breaking in would evidence intent, obviously. This would be supported by the speech at the rally and the stated reason for the gathering.

Breaking in would evidence intent, obviously. This would be supported by the speech at the rally and the stated reason for the gathering.
I don’t agree that just breaking into the building indicated an intent to take over the government. I don’t know what speech you’re referring to.

My view - Trump pointed the crowd at the Capitol - he told them to march on the Capitol - in order to pressure Pence and the Congress to overturn the election result. That to me constitutes an attempt to overthrow the legally elected government.

Does that make it a coup? Depends on the definition of coup - I’ve seen some that say a coup involves the military and others thatjust say overthrowing the government by force.

Sedition is probably a better word because it’s an actual crime under Federal law. And yes it was sedition. Or a coup if you don’t need the military involvement.

No, that sums it up nicely. I go to right wing web sites every day to read the comments. Its pretty clear how they think and as I have said here many times, this country still has a racism problem. You might want to think deeply on it yourself since you call yourself a conservative.

I thinkmodpf it as like a beer hall putsch.

Back
Top Bottom