• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Was the attack on the Capitol an attempted coup?

Was the attack on the Capitol an attempted amateurish coup?

• My groin sometimes hurts when I think too much, so I’ll abstain.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don’t think they expected the government to collapse, better said they wished to collapse the government and install a new, dictatorial one.
Projection. What you describe is exactly what the lunatic libs are doing today as they prep for their takeover of the govt.

He incited an Insurrection & Rebellion

Notice how I can produce the quotes from the text to support all my assertions while you have only the thoughts bouncing around in your head to support yours.

JANFU:

No, success is not a necessary prerequisite for using the term insurrection. However there are three terms at play in this debate. They are "riot", "insurrection" and "coup d'etat". I think there is nearly universal, broad-based agreement that the Capitol Riot was at least a riot. There is also pretty wide consensus that this was an attempted insurrection by those who are alleged to have incited the riot and those rioters who actually attacked the Capitol. Initially I was wary of using that term, but as new information emerges about evidence of planning and coordination, I am being forced to reexamine my initial unwillingness to characterise the riot as an insurrection. I haven't fully made up my mind on this yet. At this point however I still think that the term "coup" is a bridge too far, as a coup attempts to seize and to hold onto power from a rightful political authority, rather than to just disrupt or cancel the process of the rightful state exercising its authority, something which the riot/insurrection had no hope of doing even in the best-case scenario (best case from the rioters' POV, that is.).

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.
IMHO- the mob was out for blood- pure luck that the death toll is not higher.
I am keen for what went wrong on Intel, leadership, which led to this complete failure

Some have stated that with so many positions held by those not Senate confirmed is a contributing factor

From Trumps tenure, the ability to sidestep Senate confirmation with so many acting lacking needs to be quickly addressed by Congress

Projection. What you describe is exactly what the lunatic libs are doing today as they prep for their takeover of the govt.
How is it projection? Trump lost. Nevertheless he wanted to stay in power. Illegally. If Biden refuses to leave office if/when he loses in 2024, you may have a point.

As is the problem with instant polls, it's hard to bottle it in one answer. I chose 2 and 4: it was just idiots letting off (way too much) steam, but to a point the president aided and abetted, albeit incompetently.

He most certainly contributed to the fervor that caused it. As events unfurled Trump was partly swept along by a beast he'd lost control of, to the point where he was forced to denounce the violence that he himself had partly encouraged. I think he gets off on the destruction - and though he likely hadn't expected it to go so far, he saw the storming when it happened as 'revenge' against a recently unfaithful GOP and his long-time enemies in Congress, but didn't want to put his name on it either.

1. The decision to march on the Capitol was made more or less independently by thousands of disgruntled people because they'd been misled by very very false information. Some of that information just circulates and percolates on the web; some has been disseminated by 'news' outlets; some has been directly promoted by the president himself.

2. He also invited them to 'march' on the Capitol - not to zip cuff Pelosi, but some would have read it that way; and to those actors, it was a coup attempt. That was their intention.

3. Even if the president hadn't hoped for violence and a storming of the Capitol, Trump likely did hope that a mass demonstration might force Congress to back down and let him remain president, so in that sense it was a coup attempt by the president as well.

The Republican lawmakers that apparently helped the crowd? Swept up in the moment, afraid for their own safety, mildly sympathetic but not expecting it to get that serious. But I don't think it was entirely planned or directed that way from the start.

Most of those people believe Biden won by fraud and so Trump shouldn't lose his office. And you proclaim what Trump "directed" and what he "wanted". Did you have any of his words that lead you to those conclusions? From his speech-

I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard.

And you know what? If they do the wrong thing, we should never ever forget that they did. Never forget. We should never ever forget.

So we’re going to, we’re going to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue, I love Pennsylvania Avenue, and we’re going to the Capitol and we’re going to try and give… The Democrats are hopeless. They’re never voting for anything, not even one vote. But we’re going to try and give our Republicans, the weak ones, because the strong ones don’t need any of our help, we’re going to try and give them the kind of pride and boldness that they need to take back our country.

So let’s walk down Pennsylvania Avenue. I want to thank you all. God bless you and God bless America. Thank you all for being here, this is incredible. Thank you very much. Thank you.

Im not seeing a coup. They could have run everyone who belonged in the Capitol out and filled the building by the thousands and the federal government would have continued and the thousands of occupiers would have no authority or power to do anything
Are you deliberately cherry picking his most harmless words? If not, Google can help you learn more about how he incited the riot. And, incidentally, the reason his gullible army believe Biden won by fraud is because Trump ceaselessly promoted that lie.

Hey remember when I said that the FCC monitored all the radio traffic from the handy-talkies used by the insurrectionists?
Well, I say it here, it comes out there! 🤣🤣🤣

Blocked from social media, extremists discuss turning to radios to plan attacks, FCC warns

In a stark warning Sunday, the Federal Communications Commission's enforcement bureau said people coordinating or conducting criminal activity over radio waves are breaking the law.
"The Bureau has become aware of discussions on social media platforms suggesting that certain radio services regulated by the Commission may be an alternative to social media platforms for groups to communicate and coordinate future activities," the FCC said in its warning Sunday. "Individuals using radios in the Amateur or Personal Radio Services in this manner may be subject to severe penalties, including significant fines, seizure of the offending equipment, and, in some cases, criminal prosecution."

---Now I really do wish I had built that monster five thousand watt linear amplifier.
It sure would be fun to repeatedly throw a blanket on random insurrectionist radio traffic.

I didnt really think so, but as more info comes out, I have to wonder if it wasnt an incompetent attempt.

1. Capitol Police were completely and mysteriously unprepared, even though they knew a large crowd with violent rhetoric was going to be there.
2. Help was refused several times while the event was being planned - the FBI, etc. When the other BLM protests happened, Park Police, other federal branches were mobilized.
3. As the Capitol was breached, there was no response from the WH and DoD (which Trump stripped the leadership of, mysteriously, right after the election) for hours. Reportedly, people were roaming the Capitol looking specificially to ‘get’ Mike Pence and Nancy Pelosi.
4. When the order to mobilize the NG was given, it came reportedly from PENCE, not Trump.
5. The secretary of the Army was the one who gave the order to mobilize the MD Guard, not the usual channels.
6. We came pretty close to having a mob take out the next three replacements for the President - the VP, and Speaker.
Of course, this is a bit of a half assed and incompetent coup attempt, which would be exactly what you would expect from an incompetent president.

Seems odd.

Another purely ignorant baiting poll by a Democrat.

There was no attempted coup against the government.

When the Democrats illegally overran the Wisconsin state capital, occupying it for over 2 weeks, was this a "coup" against the government of the State of Wisconsin?

Was Democrats trying to burn do a federal courthouse a "coup against the government?"

If it was a coup attempt they would have come in with guns blazing. It was a protest unsuccessfully attempting to do EXACTLY the same as Democrats DID do to the Wisconsin state capital.

CNN's Chris Cuomo wondered Tuesday night why people expect protests to be "polite and peaceful."

"Please, show me where it says that protests are supposed to be polite and peaceful," he said. "Because I can show you that outraged citizens are what made the country what she is and led to any major milestone. To be honest, this is not a tranquil time."

Not ONE Democrat on the forum I saw condemned his statement. He nor CNN have been banned by Big Tech. Why?

Another purely ignorant baiting poll by a Democrat.

There was no attempted coup against the government.

When the Democrats illegally overran the Wisconsin state capital, occupying it for over 2 weeks, was this a "coup" against the government of the State of Wisconsin?

Was Democrats trying to burn do a federal courthouse a "coup against the government?"

If it was a coup attempt they would have come in with guns blazing. It was a protest unsuccessfully attempting to do EXACTLY the same as Democrats DID do to the Wisconsin state capital.
Why do you constantly vomit lies, untruths, and bullshit in every thread?

JANFU:

No, success is not a necessary prerequisite for using the term insurrection. However there are three terms at play in this debate. They are "riot", "insurrection" and "coup d'etat". I think there is nearly universal, broad-based agreement that the Capitol Riot was at least a riot. There is also pretty wide consensus that this was an attempted insurrection by those who are alleged to have incited the riot and those rioters who actually attacked the Capitol. Initially I was wary of using that term, but as new information emerges about evidence of planning and coordination, I am being forced to reexamine my initial unwillingness to characterise the riot as an insurrection. I haven't fully made up my mind on this yet. At this point however I still think that the term "coup" is a bridge too far, as a coup attempts to seize and to hold onto power from a rightful political authority, rather than to just disrupt or cancel the process of the rightful state exercising its authority, something which the riot/insurrection had no hope of doing even in the best-case scenario (best case from the rioters' POV, that is.).

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

To quote another DP-er:
"It is only a coup d'etat if it comes from the Coup D'Etat region in France, otherwise it's just Sparkling White Nationalism."

Face it, @Evilroddy, this was the start of the Second Civil War, and now it's our turn to respond, and we will.
We will finish it, and we will finish it on our terms.
And if you still doubt that Vanilla ISIS is preparing for war, consider the fact that they're now sharing plans to use the coin of the realm for both ISIS and Al Qaeda, the Improvised Explosive Device or IED.

Right-wing extremists are sharing information on building IEDs before inauguration: report

Back
Top Bottom