• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Was MLK "woke"?

Was MLK "woke"?

• Total voters
MLK was woke by the standards he existed in.

If we teleported him to current time, he would probably be canceled immediately, and for good reason.

I answered "no" to the poll, because MLK encouraged the elimination of skin tone as an important feature in society, and that it is our ideas and character that are of the upmost importance. I think that the "woke" ideals place utmost importance on one's racial identity rather than how and what we think.

I do believe that people that define themselves as "woke" are pushing forward and trying to make the world a better place in MLK's name and for the good of all mankind, but unfortunately I think they've made a grave error in the execution, and interpret his teachings rather backward.

There is no such thing as “woke ideals.” What a stupid post.

The fact that you are even using woke as a pejorative term tells me everything I need to know about you.

He believe more in a color blind society so he'd be called a white supremacist by modern day wokies.

He did not believe in color-blindness. Being color-blind is a feel good way for white people to say they are not racist. All being color-blind does is diminish the fight that people of color have gone through, and are still going through.

See their color. Accept it. Don’t ignore it, or hide it in a closet, under the guise of “color-blindness.”

How could the answer possibly be no when he was fighting for black civil rights and racial equality
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."
^ this is the opposite of woke

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."
^ this is the opposite of woke
Opposing racism is very much a woke idea.

There is no such thing as “woke ideals.” What a stupid post.

The fact that you are even using woke as a pejorative term tells me everything I need to know about you.
If there is no such thing as woke ideals, how is it even a thing then? Respondents voted yes and no to the poll, they all obviously think there is some established set of ideas to being woke.

Plus, I didn't use it as a pejorative. That means to hold in contempt... this is what I said:

I do believe that people that define themselves as "woke" are pushing forward and trying to make the world a better place in MLK's name and for the good of all mankind

That's not seeing these people in contempt. I realize they are all well meaning and kind people.

I just think they are missing on execution and getting further from the goals of equality.

Opposing racism is very much a woke idea.
If only that were the case. More of a effort to sustain race as a wedge issue. Progress on race is not in the Democrats interest.

If only that were the case. More of a effort to sustain race as a wedge issue. Progress on race is not in the Democrats interest.
Equal rights for all regardless of color, gender sex, religion or ethnicity is in the best interests of all people. The only people who are making race an issue are conservatives. Then the GOP try to blame liberals for supporting/defending the rights of the minorities that they are attacking.

Last edited:
If there is no such thing as woke ideals, how is it even a thing then? Respondents voted yes and no to the poll, they all obviously think there is some established set of ideas to being woke.

Plus, I didn't use it as a pejorative. That means to hold in contempt... this is what I said:

I do believe that people that define themselves as "woke" are pushing forward and trying to make the world a better place in MLK's name and for the good of all mankind

That's not seeing these people in contempt. I realize they are all well meaning and kind people.

I just think they are missing on execution and getting further from the goals of equality.

Thanks for the English lesson, but I’m pretty solid with the etymology of the word pejorative, thanks.

As far as the rest, the way I see it is that the right has latched onto a new word, thanks to idiots like Tucker Carlson, and the left is trying to explain why being awake to what’s happening is not a bad thing.

Much like the word “antifa.”

He did not believe in color-blindness. Being color-blind is a feel good way for white people to say they are not racist. All being color-blind does is diminish the fight that people of color have gone through, and are still going through.

See their color. Accept it. Don’t ignore it, or hide it in a closet, under the guise of “color-blindness.”
Thanks for proving my point.

Equal rights for all regarelss of color, gender sex, relgion or ethnitiicity is in the best inyterest of all people.

Conservatives are in full agreement with this, though "gender sex" is one of those moving goal posts.

See their color. Accept it. Don’t ignore it, or hide it in a closet,

WTF is that? What does that even mean?

ROFLMMFAO

lolz.gif

Not only was he woke, he acted as a massive alarm clock for much of America.
You do understand he was a Bible thumper right? Part of a conservative Southern religion.

And he was a bit of a misogynist. The cutest supported same sex marriage, trans activism or intersectional feminism.

Conservatives are in full agreement with this, though "gender sex" is one of those moving goal posts.
Gender and sex are not moving goal posts. Trans people existed well before the 1964 Civil Rights Act was ever written. The fact that you or other conservatives didn't know about the topic doesn't mean that they just magically appeared in the past 2 decades.

What is your problem with equal rights for all people regardless? Its almost as if you view equal constitutional rights as a privilege for white christian heterosexual males and then they get to dole them out as desired to everyone else as they choose or deny them if they choose to do so. Maybe you should move to India where their caste system would be more to your liking.

What is your problem with equal rights for all people regardless? Its almost as if you view equal constitutional rights as a privilege for white christian heterosexual males

All people in the US have the exact same Constitutional rights that White Christian Heterosexual males have. Been that way for awhile.

He was a registered Republican, if I recall correctly. Not sure about, "Woke."

Woke came after the 1980s, based on interpretations of critical theory (e.g., CRT in law schools), John Money, etc.

Gender and sex are not moving goal posts. Trans people existed well before the 1964 Civil Rights Act was ever written. The fact that you or other conservatives didn't know about the topic doesn't mean that they just magically appeared in the past 2 decades.

What is your problem with equal rights for all people regardless? Its almost as if you view equal constitutional rights as a privilege for white christian heterosexual males and then they get to dole them out as desired to everyone else as they choose or deny them if they choose to do so. Maybe you should move to India where their caste system would be more to your liking.
Curious where you came to that conclusion about me?
My views align quite well with those of MLK.

Curious where you came to that conclusion about me?
My views align quite well with those of MLK.
Post #61 might have something to do with it.

"Wokeness" is about inventing new (largely imaginary) things to get offended about, tarring all whites with the broad brush of racism, and claiming there is systemic racism everywhere, things I think MLK would have a good belly laugh about.

There's some real issues, yes, but then there's wokeness which is a different level of crazy.

No, that is the the right wing nutter version of what woke means.

MLK was very aware of white peoples attitudes toward blacks, even those he courted as allies. That is the definition of woke.

Post #61 might have something to do with it.
It's not a moving goal post?

Should woman in sports give up their position on the podium to Trans athletes? That they should is a new moving of the goal post. Should genital mutilation or puberty suppressing drugs be performed on children without parental concent be allowed? Another moving of a goal post? Will sexual attraction to children become nature and not a choice? Is that next too?

Back
Top Bottom