• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Was MLK "woke"?

Was MLK "woke"?

• Total voters

Phys251

Purge evil with Justice
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Simple question.

How could the answer possibly be no when he was fighting for black civil rights and racial equality.

Those who were racist bigots would call ANYTHING that is different from them or their opinion "woke". It's a term they use to spread hate.

The reich-wing is not entitled to use the word "woke" because their use of it is generally bigoted and hateful.

I answered "no" to the poll, because MLK encouraged the elimination of skin tone as an important feature in society, and that it is our ideas and character that are of the upmost importance. I think that the "woke" ideals place utmost importance on one's racial identity rather than how and what we think.

I do believe that people that define themselves as "woke" are pushing forward and trying to make the world a better place in MLK's name and for the good of all mankind, but unfortunately I think they've made a grave error in the execution, and interpret his teachings rather backward.

This "woke" stuff is getting rather old. It is a meaningless term. "Experts" on woke can not even define it.

Its turned into the political discussion equivalent of "whatever". It is a euphemism for people that have no command of the issues to throw into the discussion to end the discussion. It is intellectually lazy and used substantially by ignorant people.

A perfect example of this is the discussion of the svb failure. People have no comprehension of the issue, but we have heard numerous suggestions that it was a 'woke' by people that want to label its failure. Those people are merely flaunting their ignorance.

Side note: the best single definition of 'woke' I have heard is 'not asleep, but aware'. It seems to me, we can be aware or we can be ignorant. Those the use the word 'woke' largely choose the latter.

Last edited:
MLK was a different time and circumstance.
He was struggling against REAL racism and discrimination, not petty bullshit and imaginary slights.
It's done a lot actually, waking people up has made some well needed changes to issues that matter a lot to some Americans. They're only petty to people who don't experience these issues.

Justice needs to work for all of us.

Real racism and bigotry still exist today.

They do, here and there, but not in a way remotely comparable to what MLK was up against. Not systemic, organized, official oppression.

It's done a lot actually, waking people up has made some well needed changes to issues that matter a lot to some Americans. They're only petty to people who don't experience these issues.

Justice needs to work for all of us.

I'm not saying there aren't issues that need to be addressed, still.

I'm saying this "woke" business is a business, whose business is finding imaginary racism under every bed and in every closet.

MLK was a different time and circumstance.
He was struggling against REAL racism and discrimination, not petty bullshit and imaginary slights.

This is far too dismissive an attitude of the very real racism that exists today.

Yes things have gotten better, but that does not mean we should ignore the things that still exist.

"Wokeness" is about inventing new (largely imaginary) things to get offended about, tarring all whites with the broad brush of racism, and claiming there is systemic racism everywhere, things I think MLK would have a good belly laugh about.

There's some real issues, yes, but then there's wokeness which is a different level of crazy.

They do, here and there, but not in a way remotely comparable to what MLK was up against. Not systemic, organized, official oppression.
Pray tell, how do you describe an officer being racist? Just a little annoyance? What if he kills someone you care about, or plants evidence on someone and sends them to prison that you care about? Just a little blip? A nothing burger?

When the justice system is more harmful to you than a criminal, is that just a silly mishap?

Last edited:
"Wokeness" is about inventing new (largely imaginary) things to get offended about, tarring all whites with the broad brush of racism, and claiming there is systemic racism everywhere, things I think MLK would have a good belly laugh about.

There's some real issues, yes, but then there's wokeness which is a different level of crazy.

What real issues would you like to see addressed, in your perspective?

Pray tell, how do describe an officer being racist? Just a little annoyance? What if he kills someone you care about, or plants evidence on someone and sends them to prison that you care about? Just a little blip? A nothing burger?

When the justice system is more harmful to you than a criminal, is that just a silly mishap?

Communication is sender-dependent, so I suppose it is my fault I didn't write a 30 page dissertation explaining what I meant in detail.

YES, when there is specific and clear reason to believe racism is involved in an ACTUALLY OPPRESSIVE action, especially by authority figures, that needs dealt with.

I don't see that as "woke", I see it as common sense.

"Woke", as I've seen it, is about a belief and assertion that ALL white people are inherent racist and can't be trusted until they've had their "struggle session" (see Chairman Mao), confessed that they are hopelessly racist, and kissed enough ass and crawled enough (and supported reparations enough) to be forgiven. New terms and subdivisions of racism, new classes of victims, new outrages manufactured by those who stand to benefit from it.

Different things.

Back
Top Bottom