• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Was Carter Really Such a Bad President?

FinnMacCool

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
From what I've read and seen, I tend to think that Carter kinda got a bad reputation in his stay as president. While it's true that when it came to dealing with those hostages, he failed miserably but besides this he was an intelligent man way ahead of his time. Besides that, isn't it true that a lot of his admins failure had to do with the fact that the congress wouldn't work with him?

Btw its 4:36 A.M. here in Long Island. I can't sleep :(

For a US president I did rather like Carter. Though also for the "Hostage Situation", I would have to say the American society is overreactive to many times the little stuff. As in if an American dies in another country it gets on national news and repeated several times by every outlet. But if its more domestic it is never heard of. And then often times Americans get way too upset by such a small number. Many outside events aren't even reported, a few thousand could die in Africa, never heard of, one American dies in Africa its "top-page news" for a few days. Though I'm not saying they should be overlooked.

Also its 3:58 AM, CST, here in Duluth, can't sleep either.

Last edited:
Carter is a Great man....not a great president, but a Very persuasive diplomat. He has what is...in my opinion....the most powerful tool any diplomatic representative can ever have......Respect.

I was born during the Carter administration, so I have no personal recollection of his presidency. While I consider him today to be the consummate humanitarian, on reflection I have serious misgivings on certain facets of his presidential tenure such as US foreign policy, the American military, and the US intelligence community.

He was an exceptionally weak leader.

He said -- in action and policy, and sometimes in actual words -- that there are problems we simply aren't good enough to solve: Soviet expansionism, energy shortages, aggressive militant Islam, etc., and that we'd simply have to get used to them.

In his famous "malaise" speech (in which he didn't use the word "malaise"), he told the country, in so many words, that its woes are simply its own fault because the American people aren't especially good.

These are not the attitudes of good leaders who overcome obstacles, achieve goals, and get things done. One of the chief jobs of a leader is to inspire the people. Carter was about as inspiring and uplifting as an Emily Dickinson poem.

One of the worst Presidents we ever had.

I wasn't around during his times...but I heard from many people around his time mention that mortgage rates were that of a credit cards rate (20%+) and unemployment was also pretty high...

Harshaw said:
He was an exceptionally weak leader.

He said -- in action and policy, and sometimes in actual words -- that there are problems we simply aren't good enough to solve: Soviet expansionism, energy shortages, aggressive militant Islam, etc., and that we'd simply have to get used to them.

In his famous "malaise" speech (in which he didn't use the word "malaise"), he told the country, in so many words, that its woes are simply its own fault because the American people aren't especially good.

These are not the attitudes of good leaders who overcome obstacles, achieve goals, and get things done. One of the chief jobs of a leader is to inspire the people. Carter was about as inspiring and uplifting as an Emily Dickinson poem.

One of the worst Presidents we ever had.

That is a complete and total gross distortion of that speech. In fact it does not describe that speech at all. In short it is either a lie for political purposes or an admission of woeful ignorance. Which is it?

Here is the full speech for people to read for themselves.

RidinHighSpeeds said:
I wasn't around during his times...but I heard from many people around his time mention that mortgage rates were that of a credit cards rate (20%+) and unemployment was also pretty high...

Both things he inherieted from the prvious two republican administrations.

Both were things that fell steadily throughout his term. Both much lower at the end of his term that they were druing the Nixon and Ford administrations.

He was definitely a bad president (though not one of the worst we've ever had). That's unfortunate, because he was the most honest, straight-talking person to hold that office in the last 50 years. He's a good person and a very effective ex-president. But policy-wise, he was a disaster.

Kandahar said:
He was definitely a bad president (though not one of the worst we've ever had). That's unfortunate, because he was the most honest, straight-talking person to hold that office in the last 50 years. He's a good person and a very effective ex-president. But policy-wise, he was a disaster.

I think of him as a lower medicore president myself. I'm curious as to which polcies of his you objected to.

There are a couple of decent books on the subject.

The Unfinished Presidency

Reviews of his presidency can be a bit harsh.

I like to think of him as a great man with great faith in his fellow man. How else could he run around the world hanging out with the dregs of humanities leaders? He was like tofu. Pure filler and nothing the body needs.

"a man of integrity engaged in silliness."

I agree he was a mediocre president. He appears to be a better diplomat.

As for being a good diplomat, ya I guess the left would love a guy who visits with; such renowned enemies of the U.S. as, Castro, Chavez, that guy in Bolivia parroting Che Guevara talking points, and the leaders of the Sudan.

Fuc/k that senile, dictator loving, peanut farming, deushe bag.

FinnMacCool said:
From what I've read and seen, I tend to think that Carter kinda got a bad reputation in his stay as president. While it's true that when it came to dealing with those hostages, he failed miserably but besides this he was an intelligent man way ahead of his time. Besides that, isn't it true that a lot of his admins failure had to do with the fact that the congress wouldn't work with him?

Btw its 4:36 A.M. here in Long Island. I can't sleep :(

Intellectually he is brilliant, literally, with an IQ of 150. Morally, he is a gem. He simply was too soft hearted and honest to be a politician. I admire the man. Everybody hated him then, but I think he is respected now. I remember being 5 years old and my grandmother loved him and of course I did too based on her influence. Kids would tease me and chant "Jimmy Carter has a way of messing up the USA". I would take it hard only being five. Ironically, look at Bush's mess and people defend him, ummm why; maybe because he is red. People LOVE to bash the Dem's, because they are smarter and the righties knew it.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
As for being a good diplomat, ya I guess the left would love a guy who visits with; such renowned enemies of the U.S. as, Castro, Chavez, that guy in Bolivia parroting Che Guevara talking points, and the leaders of the Sudan.

Hey, he was a peace maker not a war hungry idiot. We didn't have to worry about getting blown up. He was awesome at international relations and so was Clinton. Plus, I love those 15% interest rates, my grandparents made a killing off of CDs, which I have stood to inherit. Thank you Mr. Carter.:mrgreen: In turn, that helped the economy, because what people made in interest could be placed back in the economy. It still is to this day, with my inheritance, I have placed it right back in.

Last edited:
Scarecrow Akhbar said:
No.

He was worse.

He lacked vision.

He lacked a clue.

No, what he does not lack my friend is a superior IQ. What is yours? His is 150Can you say that? How well would you run the country?

I remember Carter very well, he was a weak leader, I remember the gas shortage, the long lines He could not handle foreign or domestic affairs.

A very big dissapointment then and a disgrace now.

Vandeervecken said:
That is a complete and total gross distortion of that speech. In fact it does not describe that speech at all. In short it is either a lie for political purposes or an admission of woeful ignorance. Which is it?

In my opnion, it describes the speech. I watched it live; I remember exactly the impression it gave. It contributed to his losing the election, and I'm hardly alone in thinking that.

Watch who you call a liar.

akyron said:
I agree he was a mediocre president. He appears to be a better diplomat.

One of the requirements for being a diplomat is that you root for your own team.

Was he being a good diplomat when, during the first Gulf War, he traveled to the Middle East and met with our coalition partners, urging them to drop out so that we couldn't go through with the operation?

alphieb said:
Intellectually he is brilliant, literally, with an IQ of 150. Morally, he is a gem. He simply was too soft hearted and honest to be a politician. I admire the man. Everybody hated him then, but I think he is respected now. I remember being 5 years old and my grandmother loved him and of course I did too based on her influence. Kids would tease me and chant "Jimmy Carter has a way of messing up the USA". I would take it hard only being five. Ironically, look at Bush's mess and people defend him, ummm why; maybe because he is red. People LOVE to bash the Dem's, because they are smarter and the righties knew it.

Thats it... Thats the reason...LOL

Lacking foriegn policy, lacking domestic policy and allowing a group of animals to terrorize our citizens for over a year had nothing to do with it.

alphieb said:
Hey, he was a peace maker not a war hungry idiot. We didn't have to worry about getting blown up. He was awesome at international relations and so was Clinton. Plus, I love those 15% interest rates, my grandparents made a killing off of CDs, which I have stood to inherit. Thank you Mr. Carter.:mrgreen: In turn, that helped the economy, because what people made in interest could be placed back in the economy. It still is to this day, with my inheritance, I have placed it right back in.

He was a nothing... So it was great international relations to alow our people to be taken hostagfe and to do nothing? I question your definition of international relations. It was one of the lowest points this country has been at in many years since

alphieb said:
No, what he does not lack my friend is a superior IQ. What is yours? His is 150Can you say that? How well would you run the country?

What the hell does IQ have to do with anything. Your basing his ability to run a country on his IQ. And your criteria for such is completely and uttery wrong. The fact that he had such an IQ and his legacy as a president is so bad shows your logic to be in fault

Tashah said:
I was born during the Carter administration, so I have no personal recollection of his presidency. While I consider him today to be the consummate humanitarian, on reflection I have serious misgivings on certain facets of his presidential tenure such as US foreign policy, the American military, and the US intelligence community.

I went in the military during the Carter administration, and I swore my oath in front of his picture, so I have a personal recollection both of his Presidency and his Governorship. I saw first hand his “serious misgivings on certain facets of his presidential tenure such as US foreign policy, the American military, and the US intelligence community.” I was a pallbearer for a relative killed by a released mental patient due to Governor Carter’s mental health initiatives:

“Since 1962, the year Jimmy was elected state Senator, she has been active in political life. As first lady of Georgia, Rosalynn was appointed to the Governor's Commission to Improve Services for the Mentally and Emotionally Handicapped.”
http://www.jimmycarterlibrary.org/documents/rsc/rscbio_p.phtml

The mental patient was released again, and allowed to kill again.

So forgive me if I have absolutely no respect for the man.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:

We should have a dialogue with Castro and Morales, because they are no threat to the United States and might be willing to reform some of their policies if they felt America was a friend or neutral instead of an enemy. We should also have a dialogue with Chavez, not because he'll change his ways but just to keep him on a leash and continue selling us oil.

What's the problem with meeting with them? Talking to someone isn't appeasement.

alphieb said:

Only those with low IQ's are impressed by big numbers.

It didn't take a high IQ to realize that bombing Tehran was the right thing to do. It took a dithering idiot to let the country get jerked around over some hostages.

BTW, when you say That Idiot Carter has a "superior IQ", you're discussing him from your reference point, not mine.

I'd've run the country a hell of a lot better than he did. Go read that "I Don't Have Clue" speech he made. No wonder Reagan won in a landslide.

Back
Top Bottom