• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Warren Steps in it in Maddow Interview

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
When talking about money in the Democratic Party, Warren says the party will say no to billionaires. Seemingly taking a line from the Sanders playbook. Yet when asked about Bloomberg and Steyer, she says they should not be allowed to use their own money to fund their campaigns. That "they should not be allowed to self-fund their campaigns."

That's not saying no to Bloomberg and Steyer, that's forcing them to use the same dirty tactics that the GOP uses.

No linky. Happened live just a few moments ago. She done screwed up.

This is a very bizarre thread (particularly the no link aspect) that has a suspect veneer of spam/****-posting going on about it...

This is a very bizarre thread (particularly the no link aspect) that has a suspect veneer of spam/****-posting going on about it...

Agreed, Abbazorkzog.

Let me give Elizabeth Warren her due: I do not see where she has "stepped in it" to any degree in her announcement thus far. Even without all the silliness over her handling of her putative Native American heritage, it seems so many people on the right and the left are really engaging in stirring up storms in a teacup around her.

When talking about money in the Democratic Party, Warren says the party will say no to billionaires. Seemingly taking a line from the Sanders playbook. Yet when asked about Bloomberg and Steyer, she says they should not be allowed to use their own money to fund their campaigns. That "they should not be allowed to self-fund their campaigns."

That's not saying no to Bloomberg and Steyer, that's forcing them to use the same dirty tactics that the GOP uses.

NeverTrumpGOP, The democracy of a republic is less sustainable if their political elections are less equitable.
Respectfully,Supposn
Make commercials more expensive and elections more equitable.

The purposes of public announcements or advertising is to inform and/or influence their audiences. Government should not presume to determine what is or is not a political message.
Although purchasing electronic broadcasting time is expensive, it's been (by far) the most effective media for influencing public opinion, and it's the least expensive method per capita for reaching mass audiences.

The availability of electronic broadcasting is of greater advantage to wealthier political factions, and its lesser availability to less wealthy factions is to their greater disadvantages.
Supreme Court's decision in favor of Citizens United effectively and severely reduced government's ability to decrease high bidders advantages and/or greater increase their costs within our political auctions, (i.e. our political elections). …
… I'm a proponent for the tasks of selling, distributing, or purchasing electronic transmission time be “unbundled” from all other commercial tasks, and no reduction of taxable income should be granted for purchase of time or use of electronic transmissions. ...Even wealthier shareholders will no longer appreciate their enterprises' electronic advertisements with substantially political purposes. It will reduce wealth's ability to influence those who read less, and not likely increase their influence upon those who read more. ...

I think this is an example of confusing two different orders of motive: moral and pragmatic. As a matter of principle, if someone claims that billionaires should not be allowed to donate vast sums to political campaigns, then that should include their own campaigns. As a matter of pragmatic concern, though, you are probably correct--implementing that policy would likely have unintended consequences. In my experience, few people who are incredibly wealthy (I've known more than my share of truly rich people--people whose net worth is 100 million or more) have kept their principles, and are likely to do whatever it takes to win and get more money, right and wrong be damned. There are exceptions, of course, but that seems generally to be correct.

I started a thread a few days ago about how the DNC is about to launch us into the same abyss they launched us into when they elbowed out Bernie in favor of HRC. We had a candidate that could not connect with people and we lost. We're about to do it again with Warren. Our ****ing party will never learn!

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion :shrug:

Agreed, Abbazorkzog.

Let me give Elizabeth Warren her due: I do not see where she has "stepped in it" to any degree in her announcement thus far. Even without all the silliness over her handling of her putative Native American heritage, it seems so many people on the right and the left are really engaging in stirring up storms in a teacup around her.

If she would just decline from running and instead just help shape the platform of a more palatable candidate, there would be no more storm, would there be?

I started a thread a few days ago about how the DNC is about to launch us into the same abyss they launched us into when they elbowed out Bernie in favor of HRC. We had a candidate that could not connect with people and we lost. We're about to do it again with Warren. Our ****ing party will never learn!

Red:
What a precocious remark.

TY for confirming my supposition.

Anytime, friend. And - a very Happy New Year to you. One thing I've noticed about you in my tenure here is your unique ability to expand something that can be explained in a few short sentences into hundreds of paragraphs. I salute you sir(or ma'am). Succinctness be damned!

Carry on :)

Back
Top Bottom