• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Warren says she will soon release plan to fund 'Medicare for All'

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Warren says she will soon release plan to fund '''Medicare for All'''

Democratic presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren said Sunday that she will soon release a plan detailing how to pay for "Medicare for All" after facing criticism from some of her 2020 rivals for declining to get into specifics about how her health care plan would be funded.

"What I see though is that we need to talk about the cost and I plan over the next few weeks to put out a plan that talks about, specifically, the cost of Medicare for All and specifically how we pay for it," the Massachusetts senator said during a campaign stop in Indianola, Iowa.

Warren has backed 2020 competitor Sen. Bernie Sanders' Medicare for All plan. She said Sunday that every Democratic candidate knows "the cheapest possible way to make sure that everyone gets the health care that they need is Medicare for All, and that's why I support Medicare for All."

"You know right now the cost estimates for Medicare for All vary by trillions and trillions of dollars and the different revenue streams for how to fund it, there are a lot of them," she said. "So, this is something I've been working on for months and months and it's got just a little more work until it's finished."

Good. She's incredibly intelligent and competent policy, especially in regards to economics and finance. I figured it was a matter of time.

Warren says she will soon release plan to fund '''Medicare for All'''

Good. She's incredibly intelligent and competent policy, especially in regards to economics and finance. I figured it was a matter of time.

Warren will have to thread an awfully small needle for this. She'll have to...

a)overcome the ridiculous narrative that paying an additional, say, $8000 in taxes is somehow worse than paying $16,000 in premiums, deductibles and copays, and simultaneously...
b)avoid giving Republicans the soundbite that she will raise your taxes, which is of course what all the fuss is really about.

a)overcome the ridiculous narrative that paying an additional, say, $8000 in taxes is somehow worse than paying $16,000 in premiums, deductibles and copays, and simultaneously...
b)avoid giving Republicans the soundbite that she will raise your taxes, which is of course what all the fuss is really about.
That **** is so disingenuous.

It makes me cringe when I watch them keep trolling past Sanders and Warren with that gotcha question.

I can hardly wait. Should be a laugh. She's virtually dumb as a rock about economic and financial matters, although she has a good command of Progressive Poppycock in those fields.

Well she could flat out lie and just say that "Mexico will pay for it" like the liar you support did.

I hope she finally mentions that the middle class is getting a big fat, burdensome, tax increase. I'm sure they'll love it.

as long as net costs go down :shrug:

Well she could flat out lie and just say that "Mexico will pay for it" like the liar you support did.
If she said that it would be more believable than the mumbo-jumbo she usually spews.

I can hardly wait. Should be a laugh. She's virtually dumb as a rock about economic and financial matters, although she has a good command of Progressive Poppycock in those fields.

I'm still trying to figure out how this dummy taught at Harvard Law School...

Oh wait. Never mind. ;)

If she can come up with a better way to fund Medicare For All -- better than Bernie Sanders himself -- more power to her. I'm up for better ideas. Lets have at it.

If she promises that she can provide M4A without increasing taxes, she'll be in a world of trouble.

The cost of care isn't going to go down, nor will the cost of a government agency to administer the program; your $8000 vs $16000 is a false premise. Medicare "works" now because a larger pool of workers pays the costs for a smaller group of retirees. If everyone were enrolled in M4A you'd still be paying the entire cost for you and your family and in addition paying for those who can afford it.

Give them the soundbite. Bernie's biggest strength is that he doesn't care about what Republicans or the media think. I like Warren a lot but she is going to need to start ignoring this type of pressure and stay strictly on message if she is going to get the nominee and beat Trump. She can't let herself be on the defensive. That's how they win.

That **** is so disingenuous.

It makes me cringe when I watch them keep trolling past Sanders and Warren with that gotcha question.

I hate it too, but it's not gonna get any easier if she wins the primary, so she might as well figure out how to craft that message now. :shrug:

Bernie Sanders gave a fantastic answer to the question on Stephen Colbert, but here's the thing: he was given much more time to present that answer than anybody is given on a debate stage.

Last edited:
I am a little surprised at what Warren is being baited into here, now she will have to reveal a means to pay for ‘Medicare for All’ in a manner that one ups Sanders plan for all this (if you can call it that.)

Again... Democrats learned absolutely nothing from 2016 and if they are not careful they will hand Trump an even bigger win in 2020.

I can see Republicans saying to further extreme what Buttigieg is already warning the other hopefuls about, this literally tells over 150 million people they are not trusted to determine their own healthcare coverage. No matter how well the far left spins this the costs will look like government determination ‘for all’ what is best for them, and I think we can all quit pretending how well that will be received no matter how many on the far left say as much.

And if Warren somehow does this and still pulls off the Dem nod, Trump wins in a landslide.

The cost of care isn't going to go down, nor will the cost of a government agency to administer the program; your $8000 vs $16000 is a false premise. Medicare "works" now because a larger pool of workers pays the costs for a smaller group of retirees. If everyone were enrolled in M4A you'd still be paying the entire cost for you and your family and in addition paying for those who can afford it.

All you do is go from thread to thread and get the same answers to your same, intellectually dishonest questions and claims. It's your thing, and I'm not going down that rabbit hole with you for the ten thousandth time.

I hope she finally mentions that the middle class is getting a big fat, burdensome, tax increase. I'm sure they'll love it.

Cardinal already addressed you in post #2.

Every instance of universal healthcare on the planet costs dramatically less than our current system.

Are you saying Americans are uniquely incompetent? You think we can't be as good as Canada? I think we can do better than anyone. I love my country. Don't you?

All you do is go from thread to thread and get the same answers to your same, intellectually dishonest questions and claims. It's your thing, and I'm not going down that rabbit hole with you for the ten thousandth time.

My claims are factual and honest, the fact it triggers your ire shows where the intellectual dishonestly lies. I say the same thing in any thread because it's universally true. If all you got is personal attacks and ideological rubbish I understand your reluctance to engage in an honest discussion. Recognizing that $8000 isn't equivalent to $16000 would be a good first step.

I am a little surprised at what Warren is being baited into here, now she will have to reveal a means to pay for ‘Medicare for All’ in a manner that one ups Sanders plan for all this (if you can call it that.)

Again... Democrats learned absolutely nothing from 2016 and if they are not careful they will hand Trump an even bigger win in 2020.

I can see Republicans saying to further extreme what Buttigieg is already warning the other hopefuls about, this literally tells over 150 million people they are not trusted to determine their own healthcare coverage. No matter how well the far left spins this the costs will look like government determination ‘for all’ what is best for them, and I think we can all quit pretending how well that will be received no matter how many on the far left say as much.

And if Warren somehow does this and still pulls off the Dem nod, Trump wins in a landslide.

Something I'm not a hundred percent clear on is if she wants to get rid of private health insurance period, or if she wants to eliminate it as the basis for what makes the PPACA function. Because if it's the former then that's politically nonviable, but if it's the latter then that's not taking people private health coverage away from them.

The basic problem which Warren faces is that even if she can "predict" that per capita medical care expenses will drop from about the current $10K to $6K under the new "cost saving" M4A terms that is still going mean that cost to cover a family of 4 is $24K/year.

Basically she must use that M4A annual per capita cost guesstimate times 330M people, subtract that which is currently (federally and state) funded by Medicare, Medicaid and VA (which would presumably be replaced by M4A funding) and then cover the difference with new taxes.

It should prove to be quite educational for Warren as well as the rest of us.

Something I'm not a hundred percent clear on is if she wants to get rid of private health insurance period, or if she wants to eliminate it as the basis for what makes the PPACA function. Because if it's the former then that's politically nonviable, but if it's the former then that's not taking people private health coverage away from them.

you mean latter?

Every instance of universal healthcare on the planet costs dramatically less than our current system.
Yawwwwnnnnn. Get a new mantra.

Deuce said:
Are you saying Americans are uniquely incompetent? You think we can't be as good as Canada? I think we can do better than anyone. I love my country. Don't you?
Canada ain't that good. Access to advanced care, procedures and treatments are long - the Canadian government has reported repeatedly that they don't even meet the generous timetables they set for themselves. If you want Canadian healthcare, move there.

Something I'm not a hundred percent clear on is if she wants to get rid of private health insurance period, or if she wants to eliminate it as the basis for what makes the PPACA function. Because if it's the former then that's politically nonviable, but if it's the former then that's not taking people private health coverage away from them.

Given what I am seeing from these debates, it seems like ‘Medicare for All’ is a means to eliminate private healthcare coverage. Sanders, Warren, the lot of them may have a slightly different take on what that means, how it is rolled out, and ultimately paid for. But it seems only Buttigieg, and perhaps 1-2 others, are challenging that idea based of what happens to workplace private healthcare coverage for 150 million plus.

At the end of the day we still have the same realization to deal with. To win on this issue means telling the overwhelming majority of the working nation that they know what is best for healthcare, and Medicare has plenty of flaws anyway.

Back
Top Bottom