• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Warren Buffett: Raise Taxes On The "Very Rich"

yeah

it helps him since it kills off the competition and he ingratiates himself to people like you who thinks he actually wants to help you

Good point. He already has all the money he needs. He isn't even leaving very much for his kids. He wants to be the Dem hero.

Billionaire Warren Buffett says the U.S. should raise taxes on the wealthy.

Buffett is great on investment advice but lousy on tax policy advice. If he wants to pay more in taxes he can write a check to the US Treasury [1]. Not surprisingly he doesn't, instead he chooses to give generously to charity [2]. If the government is so great at helping people why is Buffett giving his money to charities instead of the government? Maybe it's because individuals are more successful using their own money to help people than the government is.

And he still pays a larger percentage of his income in taxes than his secretary.

J

[1] Government - Gift Contributions to Reduce Debt Held by the Public
[2] Buffett Says Need for Charitable Donations Unlimited (Update3) - BusinessWeek

yeah

it helps him since it kills off the competition and he ingratiates himself to people like you who thinks he actually wants to help you

When I see posts from pbrauer, I start wanting Will Rockwell back.

When I see posts from pbrauer, I start wanting Will Rockwell back.
Do you have an opinion on what Warren Buffet said in the video or would you rather just dish out ad homonyms?

BTW, my email shows that you edited you original post to make it more personal.

"When I see posts from this dude, I start wanting Will Rockwell back."

Who gives a **** what Buffett says?
I do, he is a billionaire who says the wealthy should be paying higher taxes. So far I've only heard from folks who think or wish they will be wealthy some day and don't want to be taxed at all.

I think that Buffet is simply seeing the reality, not wish it were in life. In a perfect world there would be no need to pay taxes, but unfortunately we have to pay the bills, and this includes the wars we have went in debt to fight. Now, the government could simply leave tax rates as they are and allow the deficit to grow, even though doing so serves no purpose, or raise the taxes of the very rich, who will remain very rich (what is a million to a guy worth billions) and allow the tax rates to remain low for those who actually do a majority of the spending and economic moving. He realizes this, as do many economists.

I do, he is a billionaire who says the wealthy should be paying higher taxes. So far I've only heard from folks who think or wish they will be wealthy some day and don't want to be taxed at all.

Great. So he thinks the government should take even more money away from people. Big whoop, that doesn't make him any different than any other high-tax liberal.

But Warren is such a nice guy who cares about people.

"Warren Buffett disowned his son Peter's adopted daughter, Nicole, in 2006 after she participated in the Jamie Johnson documentary, The One Percent. Although his first wife had referred to Nicole as one of her "adored grandchildren",[58] Buffett wrote her a letter stating, "I have not emotionally or legally adopted you as a grandchild, nor have the rest of my family adopted you as a niece or a cousin." He signed the letter "Warren.""

But Warren is such a nice guy who cares about people.

"Warren Buffett disowned his son Peter's adopted daughter, Nicole, in 2006 after she participated in the Jamie Johnson documentary, The One Percent. Although his first wife had referred to Nicole as one of her "adored grandchildren",[58] Buffett wrote her a letter stating, "I have not emotionally or legally adopted you as a grandchild, nor have the rest of my family adopted you as a niece or a cousin." He signed the letter "Warren.""

I would not argue that he is a nice person, or a real philanthropist, I think he is just a person who wants to make money and looks at the long-term instead of simply at short-term gains.

I would not argue that he is a nice person, or a real philanthropist, I think he is just a person who wants to make money and looks at the long-term instead of simply at short-term gains.

So wouldn't it make more sense to not raise taxes any higher than they already are? And while doing that the government should cut half of its spending so that the other half can go to pay off the incredible debt that they built over the decades? Sure it might be hard for those who rely on the governmen to live on, but tough luck.

So wouldn't it make more sense to not raise taxes any higher than they already are? And while doing that the government should cut half of its spending so that the other half can go to pay off the incredible debt that they built over the decades? Sure it might be hard for those who rely on the governmen to live on, but tough luck.

Why is it that people think that only the poor rely on the government? Boeing would probably fold if it were not for government contracts.

Why is it that people think that only the poor rely on the government? Boeing would probably fold if it were not for government contracts.

I was just asking what your suggesstion would be? And when the government spends money on corporations like Boeing. We get stuff out of it like an advancement in technology and the sciences. What do we get when we support a welfare mommy? Five new children who are going to grow up without a father or a good adult figure. And who will most likely end up like thier mother.

I was just asking what your suggesstion would be? And when the government spends money on corporations like Boeing. We get stuff out of it like an advancement in technology and the sciences. What do we get when we support a welfare mommy? Five new children who are going to grow up without a father or a good adult figure. And who will most likely end up like thier mother.

You better recheck that opinion. We spend billions on projects that get scrapped and nothing to show for it. It took so long to engineer one of the newest jets (I cant remember what it is called) that it was outdated before ever finished.

My suggestion would be to only keep the tax cuts for the Middle Class and only until the economy recovers. I realize that many feel that the super wealthy are the job creators, but in reality it are the upper-middle class small business owners that grow jobs and move the economy. They should be given a tax break, but not the billionaires.

You better recheck that opinion. We spend billions on projects that get scrapped and nothing to show for it. It took so long to engineer one of the newest jets (I cant remember what it is called) that it was outdated before ever finished.

My suggestion would be to only keep the tax cuts for the Middle Class and only until the economy recovers. I realize that many feel that the super wealthy are the job creators, but in reality it are the upper-middle class small business owners that grow jobs and move the economy. They should be given a tax break, but not the billionaires.

Why do you support raising their taxes, then?

I don't, and from everything I have read their taxes will not go up.

You're not reading the right stuff. When the tax cuts expire, taxes on anyone making $200,000 a year, coporations will go up.

I appologize in advance for the math phrasing but, tlmorg02, if you could indulge me in the following.

For the top 1% bracket, or alternately the 5 quintiles of taxpayers:
Define "Y", where "Y" is percentage of income paid in federal taxes that satisfies your definition of "reasonable".
Define "F(x)", where "x" is share of national income such that "Y=F(x)"

I don't expect a purely mathematically phrased answer. For example my response would be, "A reasonable share of federal taxes as a percentage of income is when that share equals the share of national income". Alternately, F(x) = x so that Y=x.

J

You're not reading the right stuff. When the tax cuts expire, taxes on anyone making $200,000 a year, coporations will go up.

A person making 200k per year will see their income taxes go up zero dollars. (assuming the lower end tax cuts get extended as planned. did they vote on that yet? I think they went to break first)

Last edited:
That has to be one of the silliest posts I've seen lately. :2razz:

what is silly is watching you constantly trying to justify other people paying more taxes. I find that pathetic. Tell me my tax hiking friend, are you willing to have 40% tax rates on your income? If not then you have no credibility calling for such rates on other people's income

Back
Top Bottom