• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Warrantless Wiretapping

Should the government be allowed to wiretap American citizens without a court order?

• Yes, this is an important national security tool.

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • No, the government needs to obtain a warrant first.

Votes: 38 73.1%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Those that are concerned that the authorities are going to listen in on your next anti-war or anti-Bush rally--should be worried. In my book, you're all bordering on being traitors to our country and war effort.
How many of you knew that the FBI under JFK's orders had wire-tapped an American citizen named Martin Luther King? I have a long list of American citizens here that were wire-tapped under JFK's orders.

ptsdkid said:
Those that are concerned that the authorities are going to listen in on your next anti-war or anti-Bush rally--should be worried. In my book, you're all bordering on being traitors to our country and war effort.
How many of you knew that the FBI under JFK's orders had wire-tapped an American citizen named Martin Luther King? I have a long list of American citizens here that were wire-tapped under JFK's orders.

You're ****ing kidding me, right?

"That we are to stand by the president, right or wrong is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

I guess Roosevelt was a traitor and an enemy of America, huh?

I voted yes if it might prevent a terrorist attack on this country that might kill tens of millions.......

Engimo said:

"That we are to stand by the president, right or wrong is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

Come on Enigma, would you have stood by JFK and his many surveliences of American citizens? Of course I stand by President Bush; I don't see him doing anything wrong with the intercepting of phone calls to American citizens from Al Queida operatives overseas. I don't understand Teddy's quote. Standing by our president (especially when he is right) is not only unpatriotic and servile, but morally treasonable to the American public? Say what? Care to explain that one, oh mysterious one?

TimKid

ptsdkid said:
Come on Enigma, would you have stood by JFK and his many surveliences of American citizens? Of course I stand by President Bush; I don't see him doing anything wrong with the intercepting of phone calls to American citizens from Al Queida operatives overseas. I don't understand Teddy's quote. Standing by our president (especially when he is right) is not only unpatriotic and servile, but morally treasonable to the American public? Say what? Care to explain that one, oh mysterious one?

TimKid

That's not what he said. Read the quote again, mister. He's saying that supporting the president simply for the reason that he is president is wrong. If the president is wrong, it is morally corrupt not to say something, he says. Dissent is essential to American democracy.

Navy Pride said:
I voted yes if it might prevent a terrorist attack on this country that might kill tens of millions.......

My friend, you need to stop living in constant fear of another terrorist attack. Life is short enough as it is!

Engimo said:

If the shoe fits. Pretty strong words coming from a man who interned over 100,000 innocent U.S. citizens not to mention used warrantless wire taps himself.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
If the shoe fits. Pretty strong words coming from a man who interned over 100,000 innocent U.S. citizens not to mention used warrantless wire taps himself.

That was Franklin Delano Roosevelt, not Theodore. Nice one. :)

Stace said:
My friend, you need to stop living in constant fear of another terrorist attack. Life is short enough as it is!

I told you in another thread I am not afraid of dying.....Hell I probably lived long enough already.......I just want my children and grandchildren to have a long safe life...........

Stace said:

As long as the government is doing it's job to protect Americans I do not have to worry.But when vermin in the ACLU and other rat degenerate orginizations like them start undermining our goverment then I have to worry.

jamesrage said:
As long as the government is doing it's job to protect Americans I do not have to worry.But when vermin in the ACLU and other rat degenerate orginizations like them start undermining our goverment then I have to worry.

I asked before - please explain how the ACLU is undermining the government.

Navy Pride said:
I told you in another thread I am not afraid of dying.....Hell I probably lived long enough already.......I just want my children and grandchildren to have a long safe life...........

And that's cool, but worrying about another terrorist attack isn't going to make their lives longer or safer.

Engimo said:
That was Franklin Delano Roosevelt, not Theodore. Nice one. :)

Oh I misread it, ok Theodore you say haha,

well that filthy degenerate bastard unleashed upon the unsuspecting American populace a swarm of evil stuffed animals bent on world domination, and the scope of these evil ****ers malicious intentions are only outweighed by their cuteness. God I hate that ****ing snuggles bear, he wants my soul, somebodies got to stop him before it's to late.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Oh I misread it, ok Theodore you say haha, well that filthy degenerate bastard unleashed a swarm of evil stuffed animals bent on world domination upon the unsuspecting American populace, and the scope of these evil ****ers malicious intentions are only outweighed by their cuteness. God I hate that ****ing snuggles bear, he wants my soul, somebodies got to stop him before it's to late.

Yeaaaaaah. You know, crack is bad for you?

Stace said:
And that's cool, but worrying about another terrorist attack isn't going to make their lives longer or safer.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.................The major point I am trying to make to you is if the intelligence people want to look at library records to stop another terrorist attack I say go for it.....

I vote to change the name of the President to King George Bush or dictator George Bush because he basically, in the end, just does whatever he wants to do while trying to use legalese in attempt to justify the illegal. I would just prefer honesty, that Bush and members of Congress come out, tell the American people they don't live in a free country, tell them that they in fact live under a dictatorship and that the government can and will do whatever they want to do and their is nothing the American people can do about it, and if they try to do seek true freedom, they will be crushed forcefully under the government's iron grip. I prefer this honesty over the lies of "free country." Heck, alot of dictatorships are pretty honest, they tell their people that they don't live in a free country, they tell them to just fall into line, don't think for yourself and don't seek freedom, because if you do, you will be crushed through the use of force. I would rather live with honesty than lies. It's time for the Bush and members of Congress to be straight up and honest with the American people. That this is not a free country and the constitution and the Bill of Rights really don't mean anything anymore like it used to.

Just had to point out that it's "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!" :lol:

Engimo said:
Uh... so trying to make sure that the government isn't doing potentially discriminatory and illegal things is bad... how? Making sure the government is doing its job isn't undermining it, it's strengthening it.

You do not think it is reasonable that suspicious suspects be seached instead of 80 year grandmothers from china?

Geez, I don't know how anyone could support this warrantless wiretapping. The Founding Fathers are puking in their graves as we speak. Seriously, who gives if it protects us from terror? Patrick Henry said, "Give me liberty or give me death," not, "Give me security or give me death!"

Axismaster said:
Geez, I don't know how anyone could support this warrantless wiretapping.

The Democrats whining about it today didnt seem to have much problem with it in 1994 and 1995.

I wonder what changed their minds. [/sarcasm]

To anyone even directly related to the intelligence community... or anyone who has an intellectual interest into the funcions of the DoD and their affiliates....

It is more than clear that the NSA has been involved in remote telemetry that does monitor a number of keywords.

This is a virtue of our nation. The NSA is looking out for us as a whole. This has been going on for years and nothing can stop it. It is a virtue of intelligence and not a virtue of presidential power. The president has no "say" over this contrary to popular belief.

Now, it is a much different situation when a president, or any executive official, demands that the NSA use it's resource to single out persons without the benefit of a third party. An arbiter. An oversight.

Let's not confuse facts here... the NSA has done nothing wrong... it is the president of our nation that has requested a special element of domestic surveillance.... and as of yet none of us knows what that might entail beyond the common sense red-flag and electromagnetic monitoring purpose of the NSA.

Let's remember that the NSA deals with domestic elements.... in terms of national (as opposed to international) security. Not that the NSA is oblivious to international communication but the redflags are predominately amongst domestic communication. Of course this is only my interpretation and should not be considered as a factual matter.

Last edited:
jamesrage said:
You do not think it is reasonable that suspicious suspects be seached instead of 80 year grandmothers from china?

...There's really no way to answer that question. It's a straw man. Trying to uphold the civil rights of our citizens is not undermining the government, no matter how you try and skew it.

Back
Top Bottom