• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

WARNING, just had computer ruined by windows 10 update.

I've had Win-10 for 5 years (not by choice); maybe it's much improved now? I really wanted to keep IE, but the "roadblocks" in ordinary use just wore me down over time. I resent the system being determined to have its way--I constantly have to reset my home page, for example, because the system wants its own opening page. I resent being forced to update all the freaking time and the harassing reminders.

Oh, now it makes sense.
I thought you were being bullied away from Chrome or Firefox.
Internet Explorer? The reason Windows 10 kept bullying you to dump IE is because IE was Microsoft's OLD browser, and it has reached EOL...End of Life, as a Microsoft product. Microsoft Edge IS the new Internet Explorer!
Not only that but, being that they are both Microsoft browsers, I guarantee you that the portability and ability to migrate ALL of your cookies, bookmarks and everything else is 100 percent.
You just have to find out Microsoft's method for doing that, and it's the kind of thing that they advertised for eons when they first rolled out the new browser.

You are being bullied to let go of IE because it does not exist anymore, except for the few remaining holdout users like yourself.
Internet Explorer is not sufficiently SECURE ENOUGH to run on Windows 10 anymore.
Once they stop updating an old product, you're a sitting duck, so M$ is waving the red flag and telling you that you HAVE to stop using an insecure expired product.
Microsoft can't assure users that they will remain secure while using it because they don't update the security on an expired product.

But I have a better idea:
Why don't you just install Chrome and be done with it?
It's a better browser than either of the M$ browsers anyway and it too will allow you to migrate all your stuff as well. And it will not bug you or force you to change your home page.
Sorry but almost nobody has ever been a big fan of either IE or Edge, unless they work for Microsoft or a corporation that is closely associated with service industries that cater to Microsoft communities.
In the days before Windows 7 we used to call IE "Internet Exploder" because it was the worst browser there was compared to all the third party offerings.
You know where I see folks using Edge? At the VA hospital, that's where. At the DMV, that's where. 🤣
I promise you if you install either Chrome or Firefox your bullying days are over.
I have not used FF in a long time but there are plenty out there who like it better but between the two, you have the most popular browsers in the business, and they're pretty stable.

PS: What on Earth do you use for internet security?
I hope to God it's Windows Defender with something like Malware Bytes or an equivalent malware scanner.
I hope to GOD it's not something like Kaspersky or McAfee.

I loved XP and was very happy with 7, but when I bought my current computer, there was no choice. I subscribe to 365/whatever-it-is.
Yeah, XP & W7 were great! I'm being pulled kicking & screaming into W10! It seems clear to me, Microsoft is trying to move to a 'subscription' model.

I loved XP and was very happy with 7, but when I bought my current computer, there was no choice. I subscribe to 365/whatever-it-is.
I downloaded libreoffice. That is open source that is a Microsoft 365 equivalent that is absolutely free.

Oh, now it makes sense.
Internet Explorer? The reason Windows 10 kept bullying you to dump IE is because IE was Microsoft's OLD browser, and it has reached EOL...End of Life, as a Microsoft product. Microsoft Edge IS the new Internet Explorer!
Not only that but, being that they are both Microsoft browsers, I guarantee you that the portability and ability to migrate ALL of your cookies, bookmarks and everything else is 100 percent.
You just have to find out Microsoft's method for doing that, and it's the kind of thing that they advertised for eons when they first rolled out the new browser.

You are being bullied to let go of IE because it does not exist anymore, except for the few remaining holdout users like yourself.
Internet Explorer is not sufficiently SECURE ENOUGH to run on Windows 10 anymore.
Once they stop updating an old product, you're a sitting duck, so M$ is waving the red flag and telling you that you HAVE to stop using an insecure expired product.
Microsoft can't assure users that they will remain secure while using it because they don't update the security on an expired product.

It's a better browser than either of the M$ browsers anyway and it too will allow you to migrate all your stuff as well. And it will not bug you or force you to change your home page.
Sorry but almost nobody has ever been a big fan of either IE or Edge, unless they work for Microsoft or a corporation that is closely associated with service industries that cater to Microsoft communities.
In the days before Windows 7 we used to call IE "Internet Exploder" because it was the worst browser there was compared to all the third party offerings.
You know where I see folks using Edge? At the VA hospital, that's where. At the DMV, that's where. 🤣
I promise you if you install either Chrome or Firefox your bullying days are over.
I have not used FF in a long time but there are plenty out there who like it better but between the two, you have the most popular browsers in the business, and they're pretty stable.

I hope to God it's Windows Defender with something like Malware Bytes or an equivalent malware scanner.

Chrome has too many hooks into google, and tracks you too much.

I had always purchased PCs / Windows for decades, but when I looked at all of the insidious junk added into Windows 10 it was at that point I was OUT. Apple is expensive; they have always nickled and dimed on their products and why I opted to say with a PC/Windows platform... (half the price basically compared to a Mac). But I have to tell you, when Microsoft forced me to make a different choice when they came out with Windows 10, I have never regretted switching to Mac.

Couldnt open the mail app. Lost all personal files. Lost passwords, on and on it went. It did it all on its own. Including restart. I was going to blow a gasket. Couldnt recover. SCREWED.

Went to the update registry, and found the one that was installed two days ago. I uninstalled it, and downloaded the latest patch as well. Took a long time, but FINALLY, it opened, after I was freaking for it not booting. It came up with all things in their proper place.

So, if you have your computer RUINED by microsoft, try uninstalling the latest patch.

You never heard about backing up files before updating?

OMFG!

Duh!

Young liberals should know this already and not have to be preached to by a boomer about doing backups.

Have liberals heard about the cloud............................. or a thumb drive? :ROFLMAO:

You never heard about backing up files before updating?

OMFG!

Duh!

Young liberals should know this already and not have to be preached to by a boomer about doing backups.

Have liberals heard about the cloud............................. or a thumb drive? :ROFLMAO:
Hey, Im boomer on the cusp.

Oh, now it makes sense.

Internet explorer 6(yes that ancient) is still used in business even today, granted it is only used in certain business functions because entire suites of software were written using ie 6 software, both online and offline.

You must have to wonder how many ie holdouts were that way because they spent nearly 2 decades with it in some form or another because some companies decided they had too much money in whatever software and decided to milk it until that cow was dry.

Last year microsoft was pleading with companies to ditch internet explorer, ie 6 is still highly common in specialized business use despite being grossly outdated obsolete and insecure.
https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-pleads-with-companies-to-dump-internet-explorer/

I downloaded libreoffice. That is open source that is a Microsoft 365 equivalent that is absolutely free.
Libre office and the former open office were quite good for what they did, however if it were a business environment where time is money the subscription would be a better choice, while if for personal use or side projects where time is not money the freeware can basically do everything the other can, just not as simple or straightforward.

Libre office and the former open office were quite good for what they did, however if it were a business environment where time is money the subscription would be a better choice, while if for personal use or side projects where time is not money the freeware can basically do everything the other can, just not as simple or straightforward.
I am a home user,.. so that is that.

I also would rather keep data from the cloud when it comes to my personal writing.

Internet explorer 6(yes that ancient) is still used in business even today, granted it is only used in certain business functions because entire suites of software were written using ie 6 software, both online and offline.

You must have to wonder how many ie holdouts were that way because they spent nearly 2 decades with it in some form or another because some companies decided they had too much money in whatever software and decided to milk it until that cow was dry.

Last year microsoft was pleading with companies to ditch internet explorer, ie 6 is still highly common in specialized business use despite being grossly outdated obsolete and insecure.
https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-pleads-with-companies-to-dump-internet-explorer/

At this point, with ALL browsers long in the tooth at twenty-five years and change, it is well past time they migrated software to accommodate other browsers, sorry.
I still have a perfectly good flatbed scanner that only operates on XP and will not operate on anything newer, so for 29 bucks I bought a Win10 "stick computer", reloaded XP on it and jammed it into the port on the scanner.

Beyond that, sorry....time to adapt or die. Internet Exploder sucks and always has, worse than the old Netscape or Mosaic.

It can be done on W10 if you have "Pro", but not on "Home". If you have W10 Pro, have a tech savvy friend or relative Google around. There's several workarounds embedded in the software, but only accessible via advanced functions.

Absolutely correct......I had Baby Girl Bum manage the updates on all our home PC's.....We have Pro, and she attacked the updates manually with a vengance.

Absolutely correct......I had Baby Girl Bum manage the updates on all our home PC's.....We have Pro, and she attacked the updates manually with a vengance.
Would I lie, to you? 🍻

(notice I put a comma in there!)

Reactions: Bum
Would I lie, to you? 🍻

(notice I put a comma in there!)

I have the computer skills of a brick.....this is why I leave anything tech related to my crotch fruit. 😁

I have the computer skills of a brick.....this is why I leave anything tech related to my crotch fruit. 😁
Yeah, but when they move out your screwed! Then again, they may be worth the room & board 'till 50, to have a dedicate I.T. person in the house!

Reactions: Bum
Yeah, but when they move out your screwed! Then again, they may be worth the room & board 'till 50, to have a dedicate I.T. person in the house!

Lady Bum, being an only child, has stipulated that her offspring shall forever live with us until they start producing spawn of thier own.....at this rate, they are my new retirement plan. 😐

1) You need to do adequate backups, to an external device.
2) Always turn Automatic Updates OFF and choose "Download updates and let ME decide when to install them".

Automatic Updates is really only good for a "kiosk" or office type application where the machine basically does the same tasks repeatedly without much in the way of personal files or mail or whatever. A secretary computer can get by with Automatic Updates if they are connected to a server that does regular backups.

If it makes you feel any better, a lot of Apple updates break stuff from time to time as well.

I don't know if that is a good idea. Letting your computer fall behind means that its missing up on security patches. As a result your computer is vulnerable to hacking.

Lady Bum, being an only child, has stipulated that her offspring shall forever live with us until they start producing spawn of thier own.....at this rate, they are my new retirement plan. 😐
Well, there's something to be said for not having to cut grass or shovel snow!

I don't know if that is a good idea. Letting your computer fall behind means that its missing up on security patches. As a result your computer is vulnerable to hacking.

Didn't say to let it fall behind.
I never do that.
I just don't let Windows decide when to do it.
I get to decide, so that I can look at what's being unpacked and what is affected by it.
So I choose "Download updates but let me decide when to install them" and it's fairly regular.

Let me support your statement further by saying that if you DO select "Download updates but let me decide when to install them" be sure to actually go and INSTALL them regularly.
It is an easy thing to forget until you get burned... so don't get burned by flaking out on your updates just because you turned off the Automatic feature.

If you KNOW you're probably going to flake out and forget, maybe it IS better you leave the updates on Automatic, because falling behind on updates never ends well.

At this point, with ALL browsers long in the tooth at twenty-five years and change, it is well past time they migrated software to accommodate other browsers, sorry.
I still have a perfectly good flatbed scanner that only operates on XP and will not operate on anything newer, so for 29 bucks I bought a Win10 "stick computer", reloaded XP on it and jammed it into the port on the scanner.

Beyond that, sorry....time to adapt or die. Internet Exploder sucks and always has, worse than the old Netscape or Mosaic.
Many of those keeping it at not for hardware reasons, it is just bottom line costs, meaning they use intra office software based on ie 6-10, but many are not direct to the internet, but rather closed internet office systems, where they intend to re use old software to the max until it becomes cost prohibitive to keep old software.

My point was if someone spent a decade or two every day at work with ie6, it becomes stuck in their head as a standard. I truthfully hated ie6 but loved the layout, I wish browsers would have kept the simple layout of the old ie and early firefox instead of re inventing the user interface, it is too easy for companies like firefox and others to make an internet explorer clone to appease those stuck in their way.

Truthfully that is why I use opera, I got hooked when they were the last holdouts on the old style interface, even they have been for a while stuck on the chrome style interface, which pisses off old timers who spent years or decades using internet explorer only to be told how we rearranged the ui is better so get used to it.

Chrome has too many hooks into google, and tracks you too much.
Exactly why i refuse to even consider Chrome. That and it makes it almost impossible to completely uninstall from your computer. It's almost like malware.

Microslop is admitting that there may be a Windows 10 problem:

Microsoft Corp.'s latest Windows 10 appears to be breaking some PCs, causing the tech giant to scramble and fix the issues.

According to TechRadar, the two most recent updates, KB4579311 and KB4577671, were not installing and some PCs began to show error messages. Some of the error messages include the infamous "Blue Screen of Death," as well as unresponsive files, printers and problems with audio.

In addition, The Verge reports that some of the Windows 10 updates included Microsoft forcing the update to users to install web apps. Apps such as Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Office were being pinned to the Start Menu

Redmond, Wa.-based Microsoft told the news outlet that it was pausing this update after hearing negative feedback.

Microslop is admitting that there may be a Windows 10 problem:

The odd part of this for me is that I got edge forced down my throat many many many updates ago against my will on one of my computers. It wouldn't let me not install it once it was downloaded.

Sometimes I am ammazed at just how illiterate some folks are when it comes to their own computer.

Back
Top Bottom