• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

WARNING, just had computer ruined by windows 10 update.

Guyzilla

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Couldnt open the mail app. Lost all personal files. Lost passwords, on and on it went. It did it all on its own. Including restart. I was going to blow a gasket. Couldnt recover. SCREWED.

Went to the update registry, and found the one that was installed two days ago. I uninstalled it, and downloaded the latest patch as well. Took a long time, but FINALLY, it opened, after I was freaking for it not booting. It came up with all things in their proper place.

So, if you have your computer RUINED by microsoft, try uninstalling the latest patch.

Couldnt open the mail app. Lost all personal files. Lost passwords, on and on it went. It did it all on its own. Including restart. I was going to blow a gasket. Couldnt recover. SCREWED.

Went to the update registry, and found the one that was installed two days ago. I uninstalled it, and downloaded the latest patch as well. Took a long time, but FINALLY, it opened, after I was freaking for it not booting. It came up with all things in their proper place.

So, if you have your computer RUINED by microsoft, try uninstalling the latest patch.
The same thing happened to me when I was using Windows-7. I got a new computer last August and it has Windows-10 already.

1) You need to do adequate backups, to an external device.
2) Always turn Automatic Updates OFF and choose "Download updates and let ME decide when to install them".

Automatic Updates is really only good for a "kiosk" or office type application where the machine basically does the same tasks repeatedly without much in the way of personal files or mail or whatever. A secretary computer can get by with Automatic Updates if they are connected to a server that does regular backups.

If it makes you feel any better, a lot of Apple updates break stuff from time to time as well.

Been burned too many times with various non-Windows problems. Back up regularly. I have a rotating cast of 3 drives.......and then two big thumb drives with work. Updated in sequence.

Lesson learned. Do not allow auto-updates!

Reactions: Bum
Problem with Microsoft is you can try to opt out and it keeps updating arbitrarily and randomly overnight on its own. Very difficult to really opt out and doubtful if you can even do on win 10. Real pain.

Other than occassionally needing a patch for an old printer, I haven't had a problem like that with a windows product since leaving XP. We had nothing but problems with XP Pro. It is the only version I truly despised.

I have sympathy for everyone who has problems with Win10 updates...but me...I've never had a problem. I didn't even have any problems with the various Win8 updates.

The one thing I can possibly point to is that I built my own computer back in 2012. It doesn't...and never did have any OEM stuff from any computer manufacturer. No bloatware. And I religiously keep it updated with whatever is latest.

Right now, I'm just waiting for the big update that's coming out this month.

This is the second killer patch. The last one deleted my microsoft account. Had a hell of a time logging in, you dont have a choice now with w 10. And, you dont have any choice on patches downloading.

1) You need to do adequate backups, to an external device.
2) Always turn Automatic Updates OFF and choose "Download updates and let ME decide when to install them".

Automatic Updates is really only good for a "kiosk" or office type application where the machine basically does the same tasks repeatedly without much in the way of personal files or mail or whatever. A secretary computer can get by with Automatic Updates if they are connected to a server that does regular backups.

If it makes you feel any better, a lot of Apple updates break stuff from time to time as well.
I had no idee. I thought apple was bulletproof.

I have sympathy for everyone who has problems with Win10 updates...but me...I've never had a problem. I didn't even have any problems with the various Win8 updates.

The one thing I can possibly point to is that I built my own computer back in 2012. It doesn't...and never did have any OEM stuff from any computer manufacturer. No bloatware. And I religiously keep it updated with whatever is latest.

Right now, I'm just waiting for the big update that's coming out this month.
Used to load my computer with all kinds of bells and whistles, now I keep it totally stripped, and I have a removeable harddrive with all my keep stuff. But, all passwords and tidbits would have ne bonkers trying to get it all back.

I had no ideea

I also never install a NEW operating system from anyone until it's been out for almost a year.
With Microsnot my rule of thumb used to be "Wait until Service Pack 1" is issued, which fixes a lot of big bugs.
I followed that rule all through Win98, XP, Vista Win7, Win8 and with Win10.

They always roll out some kind of major update or service pack after about six or seven months or even sooner if the initial release is really bad, like with the early Vista. I skipped Windows Me entirely it was so awful and I was not a fan of Vista but on the whole I've actually had fairly good experience with Microsnot for the most part.
No viruses in twenty years and the two or three malware incidents got handled very smoothly, first by AVG in the old days and now by Windows Defender and Malware Bytes Pro.

Of course everyone I know who have Apple say the same thing, smooth and "it just works".
Both have become really very good in the last few years so it's just a question of personal preference now.

Used to load my computer with all kinds of bells and whistles, now I keep it totally stripped, and I have a removeable harddrive with all my keep stuff. But, all passwords and tidbits would have ne bonkers trying to get it all back.

Get Keeper.
I've been using it since 2013 and no bugs and no issues.
It feeds you one popup every time you log in but that is a minor annoyance.
It saves all your passwords and can be disabled instantly.
If you screw up your master login 4X it self destructs, so be sure to remember your master password for Keeper.

Problem with Microsoft is you can try to opt out and it keeps updating arbitrarily and randomly overnight on its own. Very difficult to really opt out and doubtful if you can even do on win 10. Real pain.
It can be done on W10 if you have "Pro", but not on "Home". If you have W10 Pro, have a tech savvy friend or relative Google around. There's several workarounds embedded in the software, but only accessible via advanced functions.

Reactions: Bum

Honest to God I am on Win10 and that workstation does not update unless I tell it to.

I HATE Win-10, and one reason is that it bullies. I didn't want to use Edge, but it finally made everything such a hassle that it forced me to capitulate. And when it decides to update, you can stall it only so long. It will update. Grrrr.

I HATE Win-10, and one reason is that it bullies. I didn't want to use Edge, but it finally made everything such a hassle that it forced me to capitulate. And when it decides to update, you can stall it only so long. It will update. Grrrr.

How come it's not happening to me?
I've never received a single request to load Edge.

My only issue with 10 was the File Explorer problem, which got resolved about four or five months ago.
It was bringing even this flamethrower of a workstation to its knees just by opening File Explorer.
That went on for about a month and a half and then I read about an update to fix it and blammo, it was fixed.

Believe it or not, after hanging onto Windows 7 for many very good years, I'm just now crossing over. But I have done my research, enough to know I want W10-Pro so I can kill auto-updates.

As to switching from 7 to 10, I'm starting to run into compatibility problems with 7 in terms of drivers. So 10, it's going to be!

My only issue with 10 was the File Explorer problem, which got resolved about four or five months ago.
It was bringing even this flamethrower of a workstation to its knees just by opening File Explorer.
That went on for about a month and a half and then I read about an update to fix it and blammo, it was fixed.
From research I did, and peeps I talked with, the consensus seems to be that the recent updates the last several months have finally made 10 a decent OS. I still love W7, but I'm starting to have trouble getting drivers for my newer hardware.

We recently returned to Ubuntu from Linux Mint, and are quite pleased.
Just wish hardware producers were forced to provide adequate info so open source drivers could be created.

Didn't people learn after Vista that Windows SUCKS!

Love my MacOS Sierra. And no I am not updating. Still using Final Cut Pro 7.

I've had Win-10 for 5 years (not by choice); maybe it's much improved now? I really wanted to keep IE, but the "roadblocks" in ordinary use just wore me down over time. I resent the system being determined to have its way--I constantly have to reset my home page, for example, because the system wants its own opening page. I resent being forced to update all the freaking time and the harassing reminders.

Believe it or not, after hanging onto Windows 7 for many very good years, I'm just now crossing over. But I have done my research, enough to know I want W10-Pro so I can kill auto-updates.

As to switching from 7 to 10, I'm starting to run into compatibility problems with 7 in terms of drivers. So 10, it's going to be!

I loved XP and was very happy with 7, but when I bought my current computer, there was no choice. I subscribe to 365/whatever-it-is.

Back
Top Bottom