• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Warmongering Republicans, Pacifist President

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
During his second term, President Obama pledged to take the country off what he called a permanent war footing. … U.S. military forces have been at war for all eight years of Obama’s tenure, the first two-term president with that distinction. He launched airstrikes or military raids in at least seven countries: Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Yemen, Somalia and Pakistan.”

And all of this didn't sit well with Obama's Nobel Peace Prize, so news reports about those conflicts were muted. People forgot we are still in a war.

Now, all of a sudden, the public wakes up to the fact that we've still got troops in conflicts over there because Trump decided to take some of them out. And you have Rachel Maddow, who has many many times criticized presidents for getting the US involved in unauthorized military actions complaining because Trump is pulling troops out of an unauthorized military action. Oh well, no principle is too sacred to miss a chance to bash Trump, I guess.

But Trump made it very clear during the campaign that he's skeptical of the idea that the US is the world's policeman. He said that the invasion of Iraq was a mistake. So this is just another case of a president, incredibly, doing what he said he was going to do.

In the meantime, Congress has abandoned its role in war making. The US is involved in all these other conflicts left over from previous presidents. It is perhaps time to re-assess these as well.

https://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/ours-to-reason-why/

And all of this didn't sit well with Obama's Nobel Peace Prize, so news reports about those conflicts were muted. People forgot we are still in a war.

Now, all of a sudden, the public wakes up to the fact that we've still got troops in conflicts over there because Trump decided to take some of them out. And you have Rachel Maddow, who has many many times criticized presidents for getting the US involved in unauthorized military actions complaining because Trump is pulling troops out of an unauthorized military action. Oh well, no principle is too sacred to miss a chance to bash Trump, I guess.

But Trump made it very clear during the campaign that he's skeptical of the idea that the US is the world's policeman. He said that the invasion of Iraq was a mistake. So this is just another case of a president, incredibly, doing what he said he was going to do.

In the meantime, Congress has abandoned its role in war making. The US is involved in all these other conflicts left over from previous presidents. It is perhaps time to re-assess these as well.

So you are cheering that Trump is more liberal than Obama?????????

Trump might be a broken clock, but i doubt that he's a pacifist. either way, i agree with ending the wars, which leads me to believe that he'll reverse course on that.

He is certainly doing what he said he would do. He thinks he's smarter than his generals and other military advisers. That's a very dangerous way to govern a country.

The neo-cons and others have an interest in permanent war. It is indeed comical to see the left, which never saw a war it didn't dislike, now complain that we are getting away from one. Where we have no compelling national interest or end game, we need to get out and stop wasting lives and treasure. The Russians and Turks will do more than an adequate job in finishing off ISIS. Trump made the correct move.

So blind.

Yea, what's our compelling interest in Syria? When Obama skedaddled out of Iraq, the left was all gushing praise but that was when ISIS was still a significant threat.

Yea, what's our compelling interest in Syria? When Obama skedaddled out of Iraq, the left was all gushing praise but that was when ISIS was still a significant threat.

You have no concept of global struggle, the Enlightenment, world development, what any of that means to national security or interest...

I wouldn't know where to begin to show you the big picture. It's probably best if you continue to only see what's inches from your face.

I'll throw a Hail Mary. See signature.

Interesting observation. In the topsy-turvy world of post Trump Republicanism, it is suddenly the Democrats who are against pulling out of wars, while the Republican CIC is the one bringing the troops home.

And, one of the most rabidly partisan members of this forum is decrying the fact that the Congress has abandoned its role in war making, allowing the executive branch to unilaterally de facto declare war.

In a US so strongly divided along party lines, the differences between the parties have become blurred. What was once the Republican stance has become that of the Democrats, and vice versa.

This sort of thing is not unprecedented. During the Vietnam conflict (not a war, as it was never declared) it was mostly Republicans who supported it, even though a Democratic CIC is the one who escalated it, and a Republican one who declared victory and went home much as Trump is doing now. The result of that was, in the short run, the fall of Saigon. In the long run, the result was a peaceful and independent Vietnam.

For some (the Maddow crowd), it's all about Trump. He could get God to raise everyone in the world to Heaven today and Maddow would complain that Trump caused her to miss her New Year's celebration.

For others (the people who matter), it's about money. That's the political elite crowd...the Congressmen (both Republican and Democrat), their donors, the international globalists...who are enriching themselves from conflict throughout the world. They see any reduction of US involvement as a reduction in their personal and political fortunes. That bunch will do anything they can...and they can do a lot...to stop Trump from ****ing with their money.

I'm all for us getting out of the ME, I've been saying that for 20 years.

But doing it this way? Noooooooooooooo.. Trump wakes up 1 morning and says we out!?!? Even the Pentagon don't know what the hell is going on.

That's no way to govern. But Trump praises dictators and acts like he wants to be one. This is pretty much a dictatorial move. Do ask anyone, he just makes the decision on his own, no input from anyone else is allowed.

I'm all for us getting out of the ME, I've been saying that for 20 years.

But doing it this way? Noooooooooooooo.. Trump wakes up 1 morning and says we out!?!? Even the Pentagon don't know what the hell is going on.

That's no way to govern. But Trump praises dictators and acts like he wants to be one. This is pretty much a dictatorial move. Do ask anyone, he just makes the decision on his own, no input from anyone else is allowed.

Actually, the Pentagon DOES know what is going on. That's why Mattis told Trump to go pound sand in his ass.

Trump decided to pull out on a whim, giving our enemies what they wanted and endangering our allies.

You support that.

Not even remotely surprising, given your clear hatred of the United States.

Trump bent over for Turkey, Russia and Iran. That was most likely not his intent - I think the intent was distraction - but that's the effect.

Yeah, the guy who advocated for the offing of the families of terrorists really sounds like a super-duper pacifist.

He is certainly doing what he said he would do. He thinks he's smarter than his generals and other military advisers. That's a very dangerous way to govern a country.

Being a hawk, I was pleasantly surprised for a year or so and now I don't wanna talk about it.

Oh look, another misleading and inaccurate thread by LowDown.

The public is, and has been, aware of conflicts our military is involved in overseas. What many are upset by right now is dumb a** Trump not listening to the SECDEF or even discussing with Service Chiefs before arbitrarily announcing the withdrawal of U.S. service members from Syria and Afghanistan.

And as for Trump not supporting the Iraq invasion, he was for it first: “Sept. 11, 2002: Howard Stern asks Trump if he supports invading Iraq. Trump answers hesitantly. “Yeah, I guess so. You know, I wish it was, I wish the first time it was done correctly.” (the second part of his statement based on his ignorance of Bush’s mandate from Congress)
https://www.factcheck.org/2016/02/donald-trump-and-the-iraq-war/

You have no concept of global struggle, the Enlightenment, world development, what any of that means to national security or interest...

I wouldn't know where to begin to show you the big picture. It's probably best if you continue to only see what's inches from your face.

I'll throw a Hail Mary. See signature.

As long as we insist on injecting ourselves into areas where we have no vital interest and where "victory" cannot be defined, we will continue to waste lives and treasure. Afghanistan was justified after 9/11 but it's turned into a nation building exercise and we have no exit strategy. Iraq was a catclysmic error that did nothing but destabilize the entire region and make Iran the hegemonic power. It also led directly to the rapid spread of ISIS.

Libya was another error. Khadaffi willingly got rid of WMD's and our thanks was to have him overthrown. If not for that maybe Chris Stevens and the others are still alive. We were also happy to see Mubarak ousted in Egypt and we saw how that turned out. The only reason we've been cozying up to Saudi Arabia is because we removed the one real buffer to Iran which was Iraq under Saddam. One wonders how many errors we have to commit before we learn when and where to project our power wisely.

As long as we insist on injecting ourselves into areas where we have no vital interest and where "victory" cannot be defined,

See signature.

Not interested. If you aren't going to discuss anything, then don't respond.

My post is in direct response to your idiotic claims (quoted therein).

And you're not my boss. You don't tell me what to do. I do what I want.

My post is in direct response to your idiotic claims (quoted therein).

And you're not my boss. You don't tell me what to do. I do what I want.

My claims are not idiotic. You simply have no response. Asking me to look at gobbledy gook is not an answer.

My claims are not idiotic. You simply have no response. Asking me to look at gobbledy gook is not an answer.

Of course your claims are idiotic. They are so on their face. They are based on idiocy itself. "We don't know why and we don't know what, what don't know anything, we're just spending blood and treasure because someone rolled a 15 on a 20 sided die."

No. It's not random. We have interests. You might be idiotically unaware of those interests, but I will not pretend everyone is an idiot for your sake.

Again, see signature.

Last edited:
Of course your claims are idiotic. They are so on their face. They are based on idiocy itself. "We don't know why and we don't know what, what don't know anything, we're just spending blood and treasure because someone rolled a 15 on a 20 sided die."

No. It's not random. We have interests. You might be idiotically unaware of those interests, but I will not pretend everyone is an idiot for your sake.

Again, see signature.

Instead of flapping your gums and directing me to nonsense, maybe you can lay out what our interests in Syria are and how toppling Saddam was such a great idea and why we should have an open ended presence in Afghanistan. I won't expect anything.

Back
Top Bottom