• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Warmest spring on record.

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
2010 is the warmest on record.

# For March–May 2010, the combined global land and ocean surface temperature was 14.4°C (58.0°F) — the warmest March-May on record. This value is 0.73°C (1.31°F) above the 20th century average.
# The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for January–May 2010 was the warmest on record. The year-to-date period was 0.68°C (1.22°F) warmer than the 20th century average.

El Nino must die. :blastem:

(North East heatwave has me cranky :3oops:)

It IS frigging HOT. About the hottest June I can remember, arguably barring one or two way back 20-some years ago.

It IS frigging HOT. About the hottest June I can remember, arguably barring one or two way back 20-some years ago.

Not up here, we have had so much rain in western Canada that a large amount of crop land has not been planted

Not up here, we have had so much rain in western Canada that a large amount of crop land has not been planted

We had above average precip this year, which is typical for an El Nino year. Spring was unusually late and cool, resulting in snow in the sierra that still hasn't melted to date, despite 100 plus temps in the lowlands the past couple of weeks.

Yet, world wide, this spring was the warmest on record, not just the warmest in the past few years, but the warmest since we started keeping records.

Does the phrase "climate change" ring a bell with anyone?

We had above average precip this year, which is typical for an El Nino year. Spring was unusually late and cool, resulting in snow in the sierra that still hasn't melted to date, despite 100 plus temps in the lowlands the past couple of weeks.

Yet, world wide, this spring was the warmest on record, not just the warmest in the past few years, but the warmest since we started keeping records.

Does the phrase "climate change" ring a bell with anyone?

The weather here is very strange. Typically an El Nino has had western Canada be rather dry and hot, not wet and cold

The weather here is very strange. Typically an El Nino has had western Canada be rather dry and hot, not wet and cold

My understanding is that the El Nino phenomon tends to make the jet stream bend farther south, thus bringing storms that would otherwise hit Western Canada and the Pacific Northwest into California. The last one brought a winter in which Los Angeles, normally a desert, got more rain than Seattle, which is known for its rain.

I've often wondered whether climate change could create a warmer Pacific, thus bringing an El Nino sort of weather pattern more frequently. It probably won't but it sure would make our farmers happy if it did.

Thanks El Nino.

in the pacific northwest we had the opposite problem. Summer was delayed. On the solstice it was still gray and cold out. Only in the past week have the warm currents from the south finally arrived and we are having balmy days.

In Toronto where my family is, it has been pushing 45 degrees and heat records were broken within the first few days of summer.

Climate is crazy. :)

I'm with you Goshin, this has been an exceptionally hot summer so far. Which is odd, since last year was especially cool for us.

Back
Top Bottom