• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Warmbier Family Wins Judgement Against PRNK, 500 Million

Does the Warmbier Family Collect?

• Yes, the full 500 million

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, not a penny

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • A fraction of the 500 million

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Trump will assist in the settlement

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The US reportedly holds a fraction of the amount (500Million) in frozen PRNK funds. Does the Warmbier family see any funds?

Last edited:
The US reportedly holds a fraction of the amount (500Milion) in frozen PRNK funds. Does the Warmbier family see any funds?

I think they get some after a default judgment in their favor

The US reportedly holds a fraction of the amount (500Milion) in frozen PRNK funds. Does the Warmbier family see any funds?

Our president has publicly showered Kim Jong Un with praise. If Trump doesn't care that North Korea has tortured to death Americans, why should they have to pay?

Trump and Rodman will convince Kim to cough up the judgement won. /s

The US reportedly holds a fraction of the amount (500Million) in frozen PRNK funds. Does the Warmbier family see any funds?

Though it'd be politically efficacious domestically for Trump/Congress to authorize the disbursement of the money to Otto's family, I doubt it'll happen. A subsequent POTUS/Congress may, however, do it.

Authorizing any such disbursement, much like permitting foreign nations to be sued in US courts, creates real foreign policy and diplomacy problems for the US.
  • Doling out the DPRK's frozen funds isn't going to upset anyone other than the DPRK; however doing so creates a measure of doubt among other nations who cannot be sure that they too won't be sued and, upon losing and refusing to make a direct payment, have to deal with the US government forcing a transfer of their money deposited in US banks.
  • Doling out the DPRK's money potentially gives the DPRK and/or it allies a lever that can be used in negotiations with the US. It's just bad strategy to give actual or potential counterparties openings they didn't create for themselves or that one doesn't give for the benefit of the polity as a whole.

Though it'd be politically efficacious domestically for Trump/Congress to authorize the disbursement of the money to Otto's family, I doubt it'll happen. A subsequent POTUS/Congress may, however, do it.

Authorizing any such disbursement, much like permitting foreign nations to be sued in US courts, creates real foreign policy and diplomacy problems for the US.
  • Doling out the DPRK's frozen funds isn't going to upset anyone other than the DPRK; however doing so creates a measure of doubt among other nations who cannot be sure that they too won't be sued and, upon losing and refusing to make a direct payment, have to deal with the US government forcing a transfer of their money deposited in US banks.
  • Doling out the DPRK's money potentially gives the DPRK and/or it allies a lever that can be used in negotiations with the US. It's just bad strategy to give actual or potential counterparties openings they didn't create for themselves or that one doesn't give for the benefit of the polity as a whole.

Those are both good reasons for NOT releasing the DPRK funds to satisfy the judgment.

HOWEVER, Mr. Trump will have a marvellous photo-op it he wants to give the Warmblers a nice big (let's say 4' x 8') cheque in a public presentation live on national TV.

Which do you think is more likely to govern what Mr. Trump does?

Paying this should be no problem for the North Koreans. They are, after all, the number one counterfeiter of US currency.

Those are both good reasons for NOT releasing the DPRK funds to satisfy the judgment.

HOWEVER, Mr. Trump will have a marvellous photo-op it he wants to give the Warmblers a nice big (let's say 4' x 8') cheque in a public presentation live on national TV.

Which do you think is more likely to govern what Mr. Trump does?

Few and far between are the things I'd hazard that mercurial bastard will or won't do.

Paying this should be no problem for the North Koreans. They are, after all, the number one counterfeiter of US currency.

Can you imagine how expensive it would be to have to check every one of those 5,000,000 $100 bills (that''s about 11,010 pounds of them) to ensure that it was NOT counterfeit?

They have as much of a chance to collect the 500M as Mueller has to convict the dozen or so
Russians he indicted for election interference meddling in the Russian Collusion Probe.

They have as much of a chance to collect the 500M as Mueller has to convict the dozen or so
Russians he indicted for election interference meddling in the Russian Collusion Probe.

It does however get in the way of dealing with the North Koreans, which makes this a dumb idea.

Nope. That family will not see a dime of that money.

Our president has publicly showered Kim Jong Un with praise. If Trump doesn't care that North Korea has tortured to death Americans, why should they have to pay?

Why is it you have to drink from the fermented kool aid jug?

I can see the US allowing any money the US has frozen of North Korea's to be paid to the family regardless of anything else that happens. IF there is ever actually an agreement to denuclearize and remove sanctions, I can see the remaining settlement as being part of the process. I'm not holding my breath on that part.

Why is it you have to drink from the fermented kool aid jug?

Just saying dude, your guy had nothing but wonderful things to say about a man that has tortured to death Americans and that runs one of the most murderous and oppressive regimes the world has ever known. Kim Jong Un has concentration camps on par with what Nazi Germany ran, and yet Trump showered him with praise. So if our president showers Kim Jong Un with praise, why should Kim Jong Un have to pay? After all, Trump didn't care that he tortured to death Americans.

I can see the US allowing any money the US has frozen of North Korea's to be paid to the family regardless of anything else that happens. IF there is ever actually an agreement to denuclearize and remove sanctions, I can see the remaining settlement as being part of the process. I'm not holding my breath on that part.

You know those publicity pictures showing donors giving huge sums of money to charity where the parties are holding a 4' x 8' cheque?

Mr. Trump's base will simply love the one showing him handing over money (which the US government may not actually have any legal claim to) to the Warmblers.

[ASIDE - The fact that someone had the unmitigated gall to tell Mr. Trump that "frozen" funds are still the legal property of the original owners and that the people who have "frozen" those funds are in the position of a trustee (with all the legal obligations attached thereunto) isn't, in my opinion, likely to stop Mr. Trump from seizing the photo-op and running with it.]

Back
Top Bottom